Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusAras Issues

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

strandroad wrote: »
    NYC is crumbling in general when it comes to infrastructure.. this is a very good read:
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/nyregion/new-york-subway-system-failure-delays.html

That is a long but fascinating read.

I saw it first hand myself during the summer. In fact I was in the city during that crash they mentioned in June.

I was caught one side of Central Park and had to walk for over an hour to get to east Midtown because the Subways completely shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think that would be unfair to building sites - my experience on Sat morning was toilet seat smeared with poo and the contents of a few too many bowels staring back at me. In this day and age a flushable portaloo shouldn't be a huge ask - they would have been better investing in one of these than offering us 4 or 5 pots of ****e.

How they got away with current toilets until now is a mystery - glad health and safety acted eventually.

My understanding is that the gents are being refurbished into the ladies and the ladies will become the gents so us blokes could have portaloos to deal with for a while.

That's simply unacceptable.
    Plumbed in flushable temporary toilets would be the correct thing in such a situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    The entire US is crumbling in terms of infrastructure. They are not a country to copy (on any public policy in fact with the odd rare exception). Sure they've great subways etc but even there the NY /Chicago and LA systems in my experience, are not as modern and developed as the ones in western europe

I loved Chicago's trains... because I was a visitor and they looked so amazingly ancient/vintage. I wouldn't like to have to rely on them. I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I loved Chicago's trains... because I was a visitor and they looked so amazingly ancient/vintage. I wouldn't like to have to rely on them. I completely agree.

I was in those 3 cities in the USA then London on the end of a work trip, the Tube in London (which was re-done in 2005 with new rolling stock and an upgrade similar in relative scope to our DART UPGRADE scheme here) was so modern and clean, and the transit police managed to do the same job without guns, though you did see the odd armed officer at major stations like Euston but they are high threat that's why, same reason we now have armed Garda teams at ports and airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

NYC is crumbling in general when it comes to infrastructure.. this is a very good read:
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/18/nyregion/new-york-subway-system-failure-delays.html

Good article .Madness what they are doing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭belfast stephen

i was in busaras on Friday and i see the Male Toilets had been refurbished at long last

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

Reopened about 2 weeks ago. Main issue wasn't so much the toilet area itself, it was a required replacement of all pipes and pumps under and behind the room. Some of the older pipes were completely corroded, hence the stench down there for last year.

Also there's been an increase of security in Bus Aras to try keep out some of those that were destroying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭belfast stephen

Patser wrote: »
    Reopened about 2 weeks ago. Main issue wasn't so much the toilet area itself, it was a required replacement of all pipes and pumps under and behind the room. Some of the older pipes were completely corroded, hence the stench down there for last year.

Also there's been an increase of security in Bus Aras to try keep out some of those that were destroying them.
    that was my first vist to busaras in 2018 so and was last there in October 2017 but nice to see the toilets done also noticed the increase of security in the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have to say I personally don't mind paying a small charge maybe about €0.50 to use a clean toilet in a public place particularly in a large bus/rail station where there may be a high concentration of undesirable characters lurking about who like may use the facilities for purposes other than to relive one's self.

In most large bus/rail stations that I have been to on the continent there has been a charge to use the toilets and they have been clean and have the permanent presence of a toilet attendant to keep it that way. Unfortunately some Irish people lack a civic mindset and do not like paying for something that they think should be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

It says a lot about the lack of expectation for long distance buses that toilets are the biggest single item posted here about them.

Put you off the most beautiful toasted roll, that would..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Can someone explain why the leg room differs greatly on Bus Eireann buses? Some of the buses are fine, but some have a lot less leg room than a Ryanair plane, which can be incredibly uncomfortable on a long journey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i was in busaras on Friday and i see the Male Toilets had been refurbished at long last

Damn just in time for GoBE to pull out of their, so I'll never step into their again :(
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I have to say I personally don't mind paying a small charge maybe about €0.50 to use a clean toilet in a public place particularly in a large bus/rail station where there may be a high concentration of undesirable characters lurking about who like may use the facilities for purposes other than to relive one's self.

In most large bus/rail stations that I have been to on the continent there has been a charge to use the toilets and they have been clean and have the permanent presence of a toilet attendant to keep it that way. Unfortunately some Irish people lack a civic mindset and do not like paying for something that they think should be free.

The problem in Ireland is we tend to half arse things.

I never had any problems paying to use the toilets in Eastern Europe, etc. because I always knew the places would be spotless and I know the minute I left that the old gentleman or lady manning the toilet would be straight in to make sure the place is spotless, toilet roll fully stocked, etc.

The problem we have in Ireland is we had the likes of BE having the cheek to charge for the use of toilets in Bus Aras with automated machines and yet the places looked like a biohazard site and clearly not been touched by a cleaner in days.

If they want to charge for toilets, then fine, but it needs to be well looked after with a constant presence and spotless.

bk wrote: »
    The problem in Ireland is we tend to half arse things.

I never had any problems paying to use the toilets in Eastern Europe, etc. because I always knew the places would be spotless and I know the minute I left that the old gentleman or lady manning the toilet would be straight in to make sure the place is spotless, toilet roll fully stocked, etc.

The problem we have in Ireland is we had the likes of BE having the cheek to charge for the use of toilets in Bus Aras with automated machines and yet the places looked like a biohazard site and clearly not been touched by a cleaner in days.

If they want to charge for toilets, then fine, but it needs to be well looked after with a constant presence and spotless.

Yes definitely they do have to very clean if they charge for them.

My point was that basically I would rather pay to use a clean toilets than have to use filthy toilets gratis. Its not a case of not charge for toilets and keep them disgusting, it's a case of clean them up keep them clean and charge for their use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes definitely they do have to very clean if they charge for them.

My point was that basically I would rather pay to use a clean toilets than have to use filthy toilets gratis. Its not a case of not charge for toilets and keep them disgusting, it's a case of clean them up keep them clean and charge for their use.

Yes, though most business's in Ireland manage to maintain toilets that are both clean and free.

For example most shopping center toilets I've been in are free and pretty clean. Sure probably not up to Eastern European standards but not bad.

Also Airports, Irish Rail at Heuston, Connolly seem pretty good and free.

BE are the only ones who tried charging and then for what they offer!

The only other toilets I can think of with a charge is Stephens Green shopping center. But that would be an example of a well maintained one.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, though most business's in Ireland manage to maintain toilets that are both clean and free.

For example most shopping center toilets I've been in are free and pretty clean. Sure probably not up to Eastern European standards but not bad.

Also Airports, Irish Rail at Heuston, Connolly seem pretty good and free.

BE are the only ones who tried charging and then for what they offer!

The only other toilets I can think of with a charge is Stephens Green shopping center. But that would be an example of a well maintained one.

Shopping centres which are mostly located in suburbs do not attract the same type of people as large bus/rail stations. Junkies and other undesirables like to hang about large bus/rail stations having a charge will prevent them coming in and using the toilets as a place to shoot up.

The toilets in Hueston are ok never been in the ones in Connolly but I know the Connolly ones are quite hard to find as I tried to use them once but ended holding it in until I got to my destination as I was taking the DART.

Shopping centres which are mostly located in suburbs do not attract the same type of people as large bus/rail stations. Junkies and other undesirables like to hang about large bus/rail stations having a charge will prevent them coming in and using the toilets as a place to shoot up.

Err.. The Iliac Center and Jervis Center!!

Both have nice clean, free toilets and aren't exactly a million miles from Bus Aras and are right by areas with large numbers of junkies.

Arnotts, Brown Thomas, Debenhams all have free, clean toilets.

Ironically the only one that charges is Stephens Green shopping center and they should really be embarrassed for doing so and they are supposedly in the nicer part of town!

And then you have Connolly, which is a large rail station and is literally around the corner from BusAras and those same junkies, yet is clean and free!

BTW down in Cork, Merchants Quay shopping Center is just across the road from the Bus Station and has free and clean toilets, as do Debenhams and Brown Thomas close by.
    The toilets in Hueston are ok never been in the ones in Connolly but I know the Connolly ones are quite hard to find as I tried to use them once but ended holding it in until I got to my destination as I was taking the DART.

FYI they are just to the right as you face the gates/screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

As railway station toilets go the ones in Connolly are actually very good, Heuston less so but still not bad, I suspect the issue in Heuston is the small size and large volume of use makes it difficult to stay on top on the cleaning.

Evil-1 wrote: »
    As railway station toilets go the ones in Connolly are actually very good, Heuston less so but still not bad, I suspect the issue in Heuston is the small size and large volume of use makes it difficult to stay on top on the cleaning.

Pearse toilets are disgusting though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭piplip87

Different busses. 16 and 17 double deckers have lovely leg room while older ones are terrible.

Advertisement