Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAF or Scania?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 10:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Getting some new lorries in for the business. I'm talking 750+ bhp here lads. We do a lot of overseas work.

We already have a few Mercedes-Benz Actros trucks as well as some Volvo models. We also have one rare VW Constellation on loan from Hannover. That is excluding the vans we own.

Ever since we got rid of the Renault Magnum fleet it's been downhill with the drivers in terms of comfort.

They're compaining about "inadequate sleeping facilities".

So mate, what can I do to resolve this? Max budget is 200k. We are looking to get 12 new lorries in by Christmas.

What Scania and DAF models would he recommend for the Best in comfort? My pick would be 8 XF's and 4 S 580's. Which one is cheaper, more comfortable, more practical and more reliable?

What advice do you have on these?

Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 John 235

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

You obviously know f**k all about the haulage industry so maybe take your attention seeking somewhere else

What makes you think that? I have been doing this for 20+ years now!

Spoofer. Jog on pal.

What do you mean? How would you think I don't have experience? I'll prove it once you say.

• Advertisement

The very first line of your original post says it all I’m afraid. Maybe you should stick to waving at the big shiny lorries on the motorway and leave the sensible discussions to the adults. Good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

John 235 wrote: »
    What do you mean? How would you think I don't have experience? I'll prove it once you say.

You want 12 brand new trucks for 200k? Thats about €16,600 odd quid per truck. If you can tell me where you can buy a brand new Scania S 580 for 16k let us all know. :pac:

Alright pal, if you want to take me on, then let's do this thing!

Also in the first line is the fact that we go overseas. I'm not a real mechanical guy, my mechanic recommended the bhp.

We go very long distances. It might seem strange but it is true.

Answer that one!

Max budget on one lorry. People just don't get it, do they?

In before the lock.

• Advertisement

Just answer the OP?

Just answer the OP?

So which is it 200k for 12 trucks or 200k per truck 12 in total, if its the latter why come onto a public forum asking about trucks when your about to drop over 2 million on trucks no self respecting business man making that huge a deal would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this on Euro Truck Simulator or UK truck simulator?

200k per truck and some will be second-hand.

Which is cheaper BTW, the DAF XF or Scania S 580?

My fault sorry I just realised. Your looking to buy MODEL trucks to add to your dinky collection to play with on your bedroom floor. The long distances you drive must be from your bedroom to the kitchen god is it any wonder your “drivers” want better sleeping facilities going on long trips like that. You and your mates must be knackered pushing all those wagons to the kitchen and back. That’s probably what you want to set up a home bar for. God your good to your “drivers”

Well, aren't ye all fućkíng hilarious?

Get back on topic NOW please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stone1289

Getting some new lorries in for the business. I'm talking 750+ bhp here lads. We do a lot of overseas work.

We already have a few Mercedes-Benz Actros trucks as well as some Volvo models. We also have one rare VW Constellation on loan from Hannover. That is excluding the vans we own.

Ever since we got rid of the Renault Magnum fleet it's been downhill with the drivers in terms of comfort.

They're compaining about "inadequate sleeping facilities".

So mate, what can I do to resolve this? Max budget is 200k. We are looking to get 12 new lorries in by Christmas.

What Scania and DAF models would he recommend for the Best in comfort? My pick would be 8 XF's and 4 S 580's. Which one is cheaper, more comfortable, more practical and more reliable?

What advice do you have on these?

Thanks in advance lads.

😂hahaha obviously know nothing about lorrys first line says you need 750 + bhp then your saying your considering a scania s580 any one that know anything bout trucks knows what I’m after pointing out here.

I said that was what my mechanic said about the bhp. I drive a Toyota Hilux and Landcruiser and don't know what the bhp is on them either and I own them!

It was the 750 + that gave it away for me. Again if you know anything about trucks you will spot the mistake like I did

Yes. The s580 only has 580 bhp. I know that much. But the s730 has 730. See, I do know a thing or two about my fleet of lorries. Who said that I am not considering the 730?

Now, you can gasp and applaud...

• Advertisement

I said that was what my mechanic said about the bhp. I drive a Toyota Hilux and Landcruiser and don't know what the bhp is on them either and I own them!

So you have a haulage but no nothing about the haulage business does your mechanic make all your decisions

Also in the first line is the fact that we go overseas. I'm not a real mechanical guy, my mechanic recommended the bhp.

Answer that one!
    Where overseas do ye supposedly go

I'm the owner of the business. I know about cars and motorcycles as I own a 2017 5 Series and Yamaha FJR1300 but not about lorries. My mechanic is the know-it-all.

I’m going to bow out on this babysitting. Don’t forget to put on your night light before you go to sleep. And don’t stay up too late or Santa won’t bring you that scania jacket you dream about.

On the overseas question, as well as everywhere on the island of Ireland:

Austria
    France
    Germany
    The Netherlands
    Denmark
    Italy
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia/Slovenia
    UK all of the time
    Poland
    Spain
    Portugal
    Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    We went to Moscow once
    Croatia

You know, overseas duties.

I'm the owner of the business. I know about cars and motorcycles as I own a 2017 5 Series and Yamaha FJR1300 but not about lorries. My mechanic is the know-it-all.

Been in the business all my life myself most people I know who are also in the haulage business started out with 1 maybe 2 trucks driving one of the trucks there self. But you started out with a fleet of trucks with drivers and know absolutely nothing about the haulage business.
    Something sounds very strange to me you sound like a child dreaming about haveing a big haulage business.

I bought the business off a mate actually. Not that it is relevant or anything.

Answer that one!
    Where overseas do ye supposedly go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Unless your doing abnormal loads and oversize you dont need 750bhp ha.

Anything 500 hp will do. No need for v8's. Straight 6 will do. As a "fleet" owner you should be going with the most economical lorry you can find.

Sound like a spoofer

• Advertisement

We are doing abnormal loads and oversize. Plus overseas.

Advertisement