Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashes outside the Rochestown park hotel

Options
  • 10-11-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Why can't people drive this south link road westbound after the Bloomfield interchange right outside the Rochestown Park Hotel. There are always crashes here and I hate driving this stretch of road. Every time I'm driving here cars will without fail brake for no reason at all causing everyone else to have to slow down and probably cause all the crashes.

Why is this? Does the sight of Douglas down below scare people? If so please get off the road Thanks.

Or is this just a convenient spot for insurance fraud?

If anyone can explain this I'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

people come up from the interchange racing to be first to join. i got hit there a couple of years ago, i saw the cars about to join so i moved over into the overtaking lane to give room to merge and the fourth car just came right over into me. the driver claimed that as her indicator was on she had right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

to be honest its going to take multiple fatalaties on this road before Gardai are given the resources to adaquately monitor driving on the road.

I feel similar about the dunkettle approach from the east in the mornings - drivers using the driving lane to cut in late to the dunkettle or worse again queue in the driving lane of a 120km/hr road. It is only a matter of time before we see a period of multiple deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Couple of Gardai on motor bikes to haunt the place and people might cop on,pardon the pun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Very simple, the hard shoulder reduces, you've got barriers on both sides making it appear narrowed so people slow down causing the bottleneck.

If people learned to drive properly and leave adequate space it wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Dunkettle is a different story imo, that general area is not fit for purpose for the extreme amount if traffic during rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Very simple, the hard shoulder reduces, you've got barriers on both sides making it appear narrowed so people slow down causing the bottleneck.

If people learned to drive properly and leave adequate space it wouldn't be an issue.

That and also the incline causes people to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

kenny111 wrote: »
    people come up from the interchange racing to be first to join. i got hit there a couple of years ago, i saw the cars about to join so i moved over into the overtaking lane to give room to merge and the fourth car just came right over into me. the driver claimed that as her indicator was on she had right of way
    Some drivers think that once they indicate they have a right to of way. You are not alone kenny111.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

kenny111 wrote: »
    roundymac wrote: »
    Some drivers think that once they indicate they have a right to of way. You are not alone kenny111.

I would suggest that lady needs driver education.

An indicator is merely a signal of intention and not a right of way.

Even at that when they are used, they aren't used correctly alot of the time.

See this happening regularly.

Was coming out of the tunnel in rush hour last Friday week heading towards Ballincollig and this was naturally part of my route, once i hit this particular stretch the amount of people trying to force their way out in front of me was sickening, people coming from the bloomfield interchange slip road trying to squeeze up the inside of me as well.

I would suggest that lady needs driver education.

An indicator is merely a signal of intention and not a right of way.

Even at that when they are used, they aren't used correctly alot of the time.

See this happening regularly.

Was coming out of the tunnel in rush hour last Friday week heading towards Ballincollig and this was naturally part of my route, once i hit this particular stretch the amount of people trying to force their way out in front of me was sickening, people coming from the bloomfield interchange slip road trying to squeeze up the inside of me as well.
    People should be allowed to merge.
    Also people should drive to the end of the merging lane and then merge but people see this as queue jumping and get cross.

People should be allowed to merge.
    Also people should drive to the end of the merging lane and then merge but people see this as queue jumping and get cross.

I have no problem with people merging and allow people to do so willingly.

Forcing people back or pushing them out is not something i'm into.

I'm one of the nicer truckers out there.

What i'm referring to more than anything else is when the merging lane has virtually closed and you still have people trying to get in in front of you and then shoot across to the overtaking lane as it is usually slightly quicker there in rush hour.

I came across a 4 car pile up one time that appeared to be the direct cause of rubber necking following on from a crash directly across from it going in the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

Gosh, you guys make the science out of driving!

flintash wrote: »
    Gosh, you guys make the science out of driving!

It's my bread and butter

I'm one of the nicer truckers out there.

I find the standard of driving from truckers to be generally good. Always the occasional dick just like in any group but professional drivers are generally better, IMO.

The other day I saw a car leave the driving lane, cut across several meters of hatching to go into a merging lane so he/shr could skip skip ahead about 6 cars then reenter the driving lane! FFS

Same morning, I say a car stopped at a junction, lights went red and then he took off from a stationary position through the red light and a pedestrian crossing. (end of Washington Street)

I find the standard of driving from truckers to be generally good. Always the occasional dick just like in any group but professional drivers are generally better, IMO.

The other day I saw a car leave the driving lane, cut across several meters of hatching to go into a merging lane so he/shr could skip skip ahead about 6 cars then reenter the driving lane! FFS

I agree, there's always 1 giving others a bad name.

The problem you mention is something i see all too often, coming down the Dublin road towards Dunkettle is another hotspot, people driving down the hard shoulder,ending up in the left hand lane and then shooting across to get back in lane for the tunnel, some even leave it as late as the hatch marking for the little island exit to chop across.

As for the topic at hand, i don't think a day goes by without at least 1 crash in that spot or nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

to be honest its going to take multiple fatalaties on this road before Gardai are given the resources to adaquately monitor driving on the road.

I feel similar about the dunkettle approach from the east in the mornings - drivers using the driving lane to cut in late to the dunkettle or worse again queue in the driving lane of a 120km/hr road. It is only a matter of time before we see a period of multiple deaths.

Saw a video of this on fb this morning queuing in the driving lane for the tunnel madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

I reckon they the mesh barrier needs to be replaced with the solid type used on the other side of the flyover there. The same slowing down doesnt seem as prevalent when heading east past the Douglas east and west exits.

It would be great to see a garda presence around there for a while, although that might slow people more.

I definitely agree that there are a lot of people bullying their way around queues and skipping lanes. There is a really poor quality of driving around Cork these days.

Im also surprised dunkettle doesn't yield more incidents. That crap happens daily morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Some clown in an 11c Micra nearly hit me here last night. Driving along at 100 with a car slowly overtaking me and another behind me, this fella came along in the merging lane ahead of me, braked and tried to pull out as I passed. I couldn't go anywhere. Slammed on the brakes and beeped. He then hit the brakes again, pulled back in and nearly hit the wall/crash barrier.
    Fcuking idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ofcork wrote: »
    Saw a video of this on fb this morning queuing in the driving lane for the tunnel madness!

Same story again this morning from 07:30 all down to a lack of enforcment by Gardai and too many drivers trying to cut in late rather than join the massive queue. Trucks , Cars Vans area all at it. Every single one should be done for dangerous driving

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If we get a hard frost and black ice, things could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

It's not just at the Bloomfield or the Dunkettle, although that's bad enough.

The Kinsale Rd roundabout is a NIGHTMARE. I have to go there every day for work, and at least twice a week, there are near misses. People think the red light are an excuse to jump them as they don't want to wait. I myself was hit coming through there. Minding my own business in the left hand lane, and a woman driving a Tiguan smashed into me. Her excuse? I though the roads merged. The roundabout is poorly marked, but the bit where I was hit was clearly marked with three lanes!!

The standard of driving there is truly shocking.

• Advertisement

Another pile-up yesterday, not surprising going by the displays of eejitry I see, esp. in the evenings.

Some really aggressive driving and chance-taking out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Some really aggressive driving and chance-taking out there.

that's it, unreal arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It's the usual lack of enforcement. One speed van or garda car would have a field day with traffic approaching the Kinsale road roundabout.

It's the usual lack of enforcement. One speed van or garda car would have a field day with traffic approaching the Kinsale road roundabout.

while it may catch a few I don't believe many of the careless driving is being done by speeding cars. It's the lane hopping and non-courteous driving than I feel is causing many of the incidents.

But I'd love to see a member of the traffic corps patrolling that section of the south ring, even just for 2 hours 7-9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

while it may catch a few I don't believe many of the careless driving is being done by speeding cars. It's the lane hopping and non-courteous driving than I feel is causing many of the incidents.

But I'd love to see a member of the traffic corps patrolling that section of the south ring, even just for 2 hours 7-9am.
    It’s still enforcement though.
    The approach to the Kinsale Rd Rounabout allows for drivers to move in quite late. They need plastic bollards (as they have on the other side) extending back a significant distance as a preventative measure.

I was driving in San Diego a few years back and it was a similar issue there. The following day they had large bollards dividing the exit lane, so you had to queue up.

It’s still enforcement though.
    The approach to the Kinsale Rd Rounabout allows for drivers to move in quite late. They need plastic bollards (as they have on the other side) extending back a significant distance as a preventative measure.

I was driving in San Diego a few years back and it was a similar issue there. The following day they had large bollards dividing the exit lane, so you had to queue up.

yep, sure lets not forget before they put traffic cones on the filter lane for the Kinsale rd roundabout, cars were dangerously lane hopping at the last minute. Did that stop it? No, they just lane hop further down now.

Problem with traffic bollards is drivers who are not familiar with the area suddenly freak out and feel they are going to miss their exit and decide to pull off some very dangerous manoeuvre.

But I agree with you on enforcement, it can only help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I wonder would bringing the speed limit here down to 80 or 60 at peak hours help prevent some of these crashes. Bringing it down in advance with warning might be safer than the current situation of suddenly coming across a sea of brake lights and panicked lane changes.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I wonder would bringing the speed limit here down to 80 or 60 at peak hours help prevent some of these crashes. Bringing it down in advance with warning might be safer than the current situation of suddenly coming across a sea of brake lights and panicked lane changes.

No. Not without enforcement.
    People can't seem to drive properly or behave themselves on the road without the big stick drawn out.

Advertisement