Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy’s Breakfast Show on RTE Gold

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Mikey From Dublin

Is anybody still listening to will Leahys gold breakfast since the demise of DAB or are RTE basically paying him to talk to himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE Gold is a very popular station. I doubt many people listened on DAB anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I still listen on the bus when I’m working in the office, usually two or three times a week. I noticed they’ve gone back to the original intro at 7am, not sure if it’s down to Eric being off. I miss DAB though, had a lot of problems with the stream this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Listeners on DAB were never counted in any case so who knows.

Still, RTÉ Gold is a great station, no matter how it broadcasts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I listen to Gold a lot, listening right now, in fact.

I 100% "LOVE" RTE Gold - but the Text messages / Whats App line not being active, due to Eric being on holidays is just ridiculous.

Why can't the presenter, or someone else, not man this line?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Honestly it's RTE I wouldn't be surprised if its a clause in their Union for presenters not to read them out.

RTE Gold presenters usually read whatsapp and text messages out, though only when a broadcast assistant (Eric) is working on the shows.

It seems Eric is the only person who can directly receive the messages and then he forwards them (remotely) to the presenter in studio.

• Advertisement

Will was asked about this before and he said it's because the WhatsApp phone is in Dublin. WhatsApp Web also requires you to have the phone on you, or at least it did before. So the broadcast assistant (Eric, formerly Niamh McManus) gets the messages in Dublin and forwards them to Will in Limerick. On the odd occasion that he presents the show from Dublin, he has commented that he can "see your faces" because he has direct access to WhatsApp when in Dublin.

On one occasion, maybe a year or two ago, they piggybacked off the Lyric FM text number for a few weeks when Eric was off. They didn't do that this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I listen to will every morning. Is the show from 9-10 pre recorded?

Of course it is, Will has a day job to get to.

Its the 80s hour between 9 and 10 and its recorded, probably does his links during 7 to 9

It just dawned on me that Freedom FM have DJs on the other side of the world and they aren't having any issues accessing WhatsApp. I've heard some shows coming from Canada and Australia. So I'm guessing that you don't need the phone on you anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Or you just screen share the pc the Web version is on. RTÉ likely don't allow screen sharing.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They might be using the WhatsApp Multi-device beta program which allows 4 devices and 1 phone to be used at once.

I heard a couple of Windows 10 sounds during the show today, one during Jessie by Joshua Jackson and another during Going Loco Down in Acupulco. I was listening on an iPhone so it wasn’t from my end.

Yes!! I listen back on the player and heard these as well. Unlike your, I was checking my phone for the notification 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement