Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done to your youngest getting a PB, proud mammy moment😊

You have put in a really great block of training & you have stayed consistent & worked hard - Not really much more you can do as you said. Great to see how positive you are feeling, I think you will have a great day🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Week 9 of 10: Dublin training block - 6 days to go

Monday: 5 miles v easy; Upper Body strength session

5m@10:05 and into the gym for an upper body session. Run with a friend and enjoyed the sun being back out after the very wet weekend. 

Tuesday: 8 miles Progression Run to HM PCR with miles 5&6 at MP; Lower Body session

A perfect run! I was so proud of the pace graph on Strava that I made my husband admire it when I got home! He said it was beautiful 😂 My paces were 10:05, 9:41, 9:15, 8:53, 8:26, 8:26, 8:00, 7:44. I was buzzing after. It was really muggy so I was sweaty mess arriving into the gym. A lot of the girls in there wear pretty gear and make up and all and then you have me with hair stuck to my head! I did actually think twice about maybe not going that day for that reason but then I thought that this is my last week doing strength work and cop on to myself.

Wednesday: 4 miles easy; Upper body strength

4 miles @ 10:01; Nothing major to report on this run.

Thursday: 4 miles easy

4.23 miles @ 9:27 Grand run again.  

Friday: Walk and Lower body strength

Did my steps on the treadmill as the rain was torrential and my last session in the gym

Saturday: 9 miles easy

The pleasure of only having 9 miles to do …. No getting up too early so I’d be home on time for kids activities. Easy to fit 9 miles in anywhere in the day! I decided to go into the park to do 5 or 6 miles before Parkrun. Beautiful morning and I would just love if we got that weather next Sunday. I noticed the Parkrun route was flooded so ran to the start line where they were setting up to let them know. They had just found out. I went off to do 3 more miles and planned to run into the back of Parkrun then just as it started. At 9:25 I was just running back in that direction when I met a friend and she told me it had been cancelled due to the flooding. I’d thought they might take a slight detour on another trail. Chatted to her for a while and set off again. My legs were in great shape and I kept having to pull back my pace. At one point I was in dreamworld and next thing had done an 8:39 minute mile. My easy pace would normally be 9:40-10:10 so had to work a bit too pull it back. Good complaint I suppose.

Sunday: Rest 

Junior Parkrun with my youngest … his first time doing it without stopping and he got another PB! He was so determined and very proud of himself that he wasn’t stopping and kept saying it and then asking if he was the fastest in the family etc. I kept telling him stop talking and he’d run faster!

Total (running) mileage: 31.5miles 

Strength: 4 sessions 

All going well. A few moments of madness where I get a bit antsy. I’m fairly positive about next Sunday but the doubts are definitely there and I hope nothing goes wrong. I was interviewed on a local running podcast last weekend and committed to 3:45. Why didn’t I say sub 4 🙄! They are bringing us on again afterwards to review and see how we did. Anyway, I’m feeling good besides some odd pains in my calves today … I’m sure they’ll be gone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

K, your training has been so steady and solid, you deserve the best day next Sunday! You seem good and ready mentally also which is great to see.

I'll be about on the course (hopefully at a few spots) so will keep an eye out and of course hope to get to McGrattans after!

Thanks V. This mornings MP run has me nervous. Can’t imagine doing 21 more miles at that pace 🥴. Anyway, hopefully will all come together on the day. Hope I see you en route and McGrattans after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The very best of luck on Sunday! I hope you get the race you want and will look forward to reading your report.

I don't understand how people can wear makeup in the gym. Sometimes I'd run after work with whatever makeup is left on my face after 12 hours and it can feel manky!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill. I know, I couldn’t run with make up. I’d be sweating and dread to think the state of me afterwards then. Definitely better without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great block K. The doubts and nerves are good. It means your going after a goal that means something to you. Will hopefully see you on the route and mcgrattans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Things are looking sweet K!! Can't wait to see how you get on this Sunday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The very best of luck on Sunday! I've been following since you came back (with much envy!), you are going to have a fantastic race 💪

Awe thanks a mill. These sort of comments will keep me going. I know my training block has been really good but I just can’t figure out how I’m going to run that pace for so long … but sure I’ve felt like that before every session too and this is just a longer one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Wishing you the very best of luck on Sunday. This week is meant to mess with our heads but look back on all the brilliant training runs you have done in this block, feel good about them & take confidence from them. All we can do now is trust the process😊

Thanks E. Looking forward to seeing you in McGrattans. I hope you have a brilliant race too.

If anybody needs something to listen to I took part in a local podcast in Cork last week all about Dublin Marathon. Boards got a mention!! Some good tips there too for Sunday

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6axujdq3UVhVBSa01pG9kx?si=UpxKPvHfRWCgDgkehSKHng

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I loved your Podcasting debut K, well done! Great listen for anyone doing DCM or even for anyone like me not doing DCM but with an interest in all things running! There's a human-interest side too of course with everyone talking about their reasons for doing a marathon. It's an all-round great listen. It's bang on the hour long so perfect length for anyone who does those mid-week runs while kids do their training.

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What a great block of training you've put in. No need to be anything but confident, but the doubts are normal - probably a good thing actually, keeps the ego in check! Enjoy the buildup and have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭marathon2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Best of luck at the weekend, you have done everything possible that is in your control to run a great race.

Be proud of what you have achieved to get to this point and go out with confidence to execute your race plan.

I plan to be out supporting in Chapelizod just after you swing left at the bridge over the Liffey.

Best of luck

C

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill C. I’ll keep an eye out for you.

Week 10 of 10: Dublin training block - 3 days to go

Monday: 5 miles MP

1 mile WU, 5 miles @ 8:22, 1 mile CD

Pace was a little hot and felt it for sure. Had a few moments of wondering how I was going to add on 21 more miles to it. Lots of twinges in my right leg but I wasn’t too worried as had physio scheduled for Wednesday.

Tuesday: 3 miles very easy

3 miles @ 9:26 … ran in torrential rain with a friend and laid no attention to pace whatsoever.

Wednesday: Physio

So so glad I had scheduled this. My right ankle had been hurting all weekend and sending pains up into my calf. I knew she’d sort me and sure enough there was all sorts going on in my foot and ankle that she released and pains gone ever since. She says it will be fine and I certainly had no issues today. She also worked on my IT Band which is my biggest fear for Sunday.

Thursday: 3 miles very easy

3.23 miles @ 9:21 … felt good and it felt easy.

So that’s it for the 16 week block.

Mileage: 634.49 miles

Strength sessions: 47 gym sessions

All going well on Sunday I’ll do 3:45. B goal is sub 3:50 and a BQ. Yes I’m nervous but I hit the paces in every single sessions and there were hard ones. 6 long runs between 30km and 35km, 5 of them with plenty MP miles or faster in them. Loads of hard sessions and mid to long runs mid week too. Convincing myself here that there are no doubts 🤞🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks for that K, a very enjoyable listen! Looking forward to seeing you annihilate a load more PBs .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done on the podcast. It's an enjoyable listen and you spoke really well.

Best of luck on Sunday. Your training block (and whole year really) have been outstanding, so I hope you get the race to match on Sunday.

I'll probably be somewhere along Chesterfield Avenue for the first few hours so will keep an eye out.

Thanks J and A. I enjoyed taking part in it but hopefully I will hit my target now after saying it straight out. Was kicking myself for not just saying ‘sub 4’ after. It might spur me on if things get tough anyway! I hope to see you both on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

K what's the name of the pod?

I don't have Spotify but will get it on pocketcasts

It’s The Runners Diary Cork Episode 16 if that helps?

You're gonna smash it btw, the amount of graft, commitment and determination you've shown has been so impressive.

Thanks C! I hope we both do!

• Advertisement

Ah great stuff, I managed to get it on Spotify, didn't realise I had an account set up. Will have a listen later tonight.

Advertisement