Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've Gone and Bought a Google Home Mini

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭bren2001

Phil.x wrote: »
    if I got one of these can I just say "OK Google Play BBC Radio 4" and away it plays.

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tunein has worked flawlessly for me so far with Google. Alexa was like a lottery and extremely frustrating as regards to using Tunein.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

if I got one of these can I just say "OK Google Play BBC Radio 4" and away it plays.

Yes, I just did that, works perfect.

BTW You don't need the tunein app on your phone, I don't, it is natively supported out of the box, no setup needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I just did that, works perfect.

BTW You don't need the tunein app on your phone, I don't, it is natively supported out of the box, no setup needed.

Cheers for that, I'm going to get one for my old man as he has my heart broken with internet radios and voice command seems like a great simple way of doing this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cheers for that, I'm going to get one for my old man as he has my heart broken with internet radios and voice command seems like a great simple way of doing this.

Don't forget about the shortcuts feature, it can make it even easier for him if he uses just a few stations, e.g.:

"Hey Google, radio 4"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I've now gone and bought one for the sister and her kids- I'm sure they'll enjoy it no end.

Hardware wise at the moment I have some Xiaomi Yeelights in the house with some Hue bulbs due to be delivered this week. The Nest was supposed to be installed a few days ago but a shortage of stock has meant installation is pushed back to the second or third week of December. I have a TP Link smart socket upstairs. Has anyone any recommendations on what else hardware wise can be used with the units. I'm just looking on where to go from here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I'm just looking on where to go from here :)

Bankruptcy :D
    Joking of course but it is an addiction. Wait till your first big internet or power outage for the shock of having to do things manually again.

I think you're doing great. Heating and Lighting are perfect and logical starters for home automation and lend themselves perfectly to assistants like GH.
    Maybe security cameras?

I managed to stop where you are now. Avoided the smart locks, ovens, smoke alarms, baths, basically anything these days.

See Stacy Higginbottom's gift idea podcast. https://staceyoniot.com/the-2017-iot-podcast-gift-guide-written-version/ She is a very good IoT journalist/enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So the Nest is being installed today. Rather annoyingly I was told it'd be installed on either the 12th or 15th so not having heard anything I thought it'd be the 15th. They text this morning to say it'd be installed this morning..... as I was sitting down to my desk.
    So I'll not have the installer walk me through it, is there a good guide to getting this up and running?

Advertisement