Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Ads 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just read that My Voucher Codes is getting a group of people to produce a version of it in 7 hours with a budget of £700. They started at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

John Lewis ad is nice but it's not the best I've ever seen. I think M&S and Aldi have won this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I quite like the John Lewis one.
    I think they've become a victim of their own success in the past though & having set the bar so high in 2012 & 2013 have struggled to maintain the impact year on year, to be fair thats no bad thing though as change is good & generates new ideas.

Havent actually seen many ads yet this year so going to hold my powder dry before deciding on this years favourite.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I do like the John Lewis ad, but like others, I don't think it's as good as the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The John Lewis ad is lovely, but not my favourite by a long shot. I agree with DvB - they set the bar very high and are victims of their own success. Others have jumped into the competition in recent years....and have provided very stiff competition!!

• Advertisement

I really like it. I think people worry to much about 'will it be as good as' . Taking it just for what it is and not thinking about the name associated with it, I think it's really very good.

One of the most iconic childhood things is the monster under the bed. I love the idea that maybe he's just a lonely, cuddle monster looking for a friend (a bit monsters Inc). I was horrified when the child turned on the night light and made him disappear. (Glad he turned it off and moz made a noise).

I'll put it in my top three but Paddington is still winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think the John Lewis ad is definitely a significant improvement on last year's effort but as I already stated they're trying to one up themselves.

I think in a few years M&S may fall foul of their own high standards and people's expectations and then you might see them come back with a bang.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I haven't watched most of these yet. I'm having a stressful week at work, so I'm saving them for this evening! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Just watched the John Lewis advert advert and I think its lovely but its a pity that they didn't use the original track from Abbey Road as that would have been fantastic!!! Its Paddington all the way this year for me! I do really want a moz teddy tho and the star nightlight

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Boots one out now:

https://youtu.be/9cAhAqgLiIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Posy wrote:
    I haven't watched most of these yet. I'm having a stressful week at work, so I'm saving them for this evening!

I could have written this.

Work was mad, finally home, will check them out tonight, yay!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I could have written this.

Work was mad, finally home, will check them out tonight, yay!

+3 crazy busy last couple of days. Head was spinning earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just watched the Debenhams ad. It’s a lovely modern take on a fairytale and the snow and lights make it very Christmassy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My favourite so far is the Sky Cinema one. I liked the teaser ads for the Debenhams one, it had so much potential, but the full ad is a disappointment.

My favourite so far is the Sky Cinema one. I liked the teaser ads for the Debenhams one, it had so much potential, but the full ad is a disappointment.

Only just watched the full ad and it is a bit disappointing. It's just lacking something. Although prince charming/the shoe thief is very lovely to look at. So I'll probably watch it a few more times anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is that really the Sainsbury's one? Looks like it was made but college students on the Friday before a Monday morning deadline.
    So cringey.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is that really the Sainsbury's one? Looks like it was made but college students on the Friday before a Monday morning deadline.
    So cringey.

The comment section is harsh! I can see what they were trying to do but... Yeah it's a bit sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

I dont understand the black and white choice. Of any time of the year, surely Christmas is the perfect time to go full on bling. Very drab. Actually I do like the bit with the rapping sheep or is it a lamb :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Had to switch off the sainsburys add. Did not like or get it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Christmas has been won by Peacocks, whatever that is.

</sarcasm>

PS this is from this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

corblimey wrote:

OMG! What where they thinking?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Boycott peacocks.

Whatever peacocks is.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

What's everyone's favourite John Lewis ad?? Didn't hate this year's but haven't watched it more than once either. I think mine's is the bear and the hare.

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    What's everyone's favourite John Lewis ad?? Didn't hate this year's but haven't watched it more than once either. I think mine's is the bear and the hare.

I love the snowman John Lewis ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Jude13 wrote: »
    Had to switch off the sainsburys add. Did not like or get it at all.

Some come down from that great effort they did few years ago...https://youtu.be/Od1WIDxl44Y

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

corblimey wrote: »

</sarcasm>
    Good Jaysus.

Loughc wrote: »
    I love the snowman John Lewis ad.

Ditto.
    First one I remember really standing out as special. The cover of FGTH 'The power of love' is still a version I listen to today and it makes the ad.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

The bear one is a beaut too. Not sure which I prefer. The Guinness one tops them all though.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    The bear one is a beaut too. Not sure which I prefer. The Guinness one tops them all though.

If we're talking the GOAT across the board, then I agree 100%. That guinness ad is perfection.

If we're just talking John Lewis though 2012's the snowman tops it for me with the 2013's Bear & the Hare in 2nd. The rest were only average IMO.

Is it just me though that feels theres less & less TV adverts being made for christmas nowadays though? Maybe its looking back through nostalgia tinted specs but I remember there being a huge amount of dedicated christmas ads back in the day & nowhere near as many nowadays. Or maybe I just watch less TV!!!

Advertisement