Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Winter Matchplay (2017/2018)

Options
  • 31-10-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭

So we are off again in out Mini Winter Matchplay event. A small group of us from the Dublin area have played one the last few years.

It is based on Links - and rather surprisingly everyone from last year wants to play again. We tend to play courses fully in service all winter and play a good bit on Corballis as quick and cheap. Anyone from Corballis looking in we will take it cheaper :P:D

We had a good laugh the last 2 times - and hit some great Links on the East coast. We have better plans this year again. Talk of a trip to Arklow and overnight - but talk is cheap.

It is not that serious - but a competitive edge. A small cash prize at end and we normally try hit a top Links for the Semi.

Last year I was lucky to win and we all found it was great to focus you on your game in winter - some went on to have a good/great season. So that is part of the idea to keep the game moving.

First round, a round Robbin with 3 games each and the draw was random.
    Top 2 in each group go into Semi.

Group A (The Snowmen)
    Played HD Points
    Seve OB 0 0 0
    Golfgraffix 0 0 0
    Tom D.B.JJ 0 0 0
    BigChap1759 0 0 0

Group B (The Long Johns )
    Played HD Points
    Alan M 0 0 0
    FixdePitchmark 0 0 0
    CharlieIRL 0 0 0
    Roadrunner 0 0 0

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101557737

The lads will update on the forum - and there will be days there will be room to join matches if you fancy a winter game.

Anyway - said I'd post it as the only reason it came about is the forum.

It sounds fun, is - but you can play in serious cold conditions with Ice on course.

Here we go - hope to win again . But have other things on this year - so this is just a nice forced distraction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

CharlieIRL must be in with a good chance this time and he is in both groups.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Macker1 wrote: »
    CharlieIRL must be in with a good chance this time and he is in both groups.......

You can't keep a good man down :D

Good spot. Someone paying attention anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Looking forward to it. Golf normally gets lost on me over the winter months so this at the very least is something to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Narrowly missed out on the semis last year playing off 12. Now I'm off 9 and against the same guys (pretty much). This should be a doddle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I got 1 point for a draw last year, so i'm back for revenge this year.  It's gonna be like a bad movie sequel, pure carnage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I wouldn't really call myself from the "Dublin Area" either!!!! :)

Looking forward to it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I got 1 point for a draw last year

Should have never happened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I got 1 point for a draw last year

Should have never happened :D
    I still remember it as a heroic comeback :P

Yes , amazingly our 2017/2018 event is stil going on :eek:

We had a great year - but due to a combination of a horrendous winter and a few personal circumstances for a few in group stages we got delayed.

When summer hit we all had club commitments. A testament to the lads/event we all decided to finish the event.

The group stages were very close with so many games going down the last few holes in Corballis.

Group A seen a remarkably tight group with all in the mix going into last round of matches. Alanm won the group and Charlie came a tight 2nd - knocking myself out in a tie break rule.

Charlie has put serious effort into his game now and serious commitment to take part in an event involving an 1.5 hour drive for each match.

Alanm a serious match-play player and getting a real name for his ability to get up and down and win holes / get halves from outrageous situations.

In group B, a serious performance from SeveOB seen him top the group and a totally new golfer in Tom seen him take 2nd. Tom another man who has put serious effort into his game , with a good few commitments of the course.

The idea of the winter mathcplay , is for a group of like minded golfers to get together from here, keep their game moving and hit the early season playing well in club. It has worked and many golfer in the event have played well and improved.

Whatsapp has added a bit of banter and crap talk. But at the end of the day , we are just people who love this amazing game. When you love the game in Ireland , there are options to play all year. Two years of the last 3 were amazing for golf - but this year was just terrible. What will next winter hold ?

The semi finals were class games - up and down and updates from the course.
    Both semis went to the 18th + , even with a player 4 up in both matches at one point.
    A real case that you are never home in Matchplay. A big lead is a dangerous place at times.

CharlieIRL won on the 20th hole after a ding dong battle against SeveOB.

In the other semi AlanM won against Tom on the 18th

Final is on next weekend - AlanM versus CharlieIRL - and we will have a new and 3rd winner of our winter match play

2016 Golfgraffix
    2017 FixdePitchmark
    2018 ?

Golfgraffix has been a great supporter of the event , providing great outings for the semi finals over the years.

Because of our difficulties this year finishing event - we are considering a change to format . Nothing agreed yet, and people have enjoyed the 3 match league style of round 1. Just logistically difficult , with work and weather and getting the two people together at the right time.

This year we have tried to add a social aspect and try make the relationships real world and away from the Gold Forum - meeting people from the internet :eek::P

Winter golf on links is at times the most rewarding thing out there - but it is also some of the toughest days you will have on a course. When the wind comes from the North or East and you don't have the right clothing - Jesus.
    But when you get that day when the sun just comes out and the air is crisp, the sound of the sea and having a course to yourself and your match - there can be a perfection about it to.

Winter again - not sure what the future holds for the event. But we have had a a blast with it the last few years on great course such as.

Portmarnock Links
    The infamous Love/Hate Corballis
    The Island

Have a blast in final lads - would love to be in it myself. But very tough event now to win a match, never mind win it.

Final today at 12:36. Looking forward to it, weather looks great out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Final today at 12:36. Looking forward to it, weather looks great out as well.

Any result ???

Macker1 wrote: »
    Any result ???

I was hammered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hard luck Charlie.
    Well done Alan.
    Roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I'd be interested in this if it's starting up again

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Me too!

Sorry guys - but due to pms and a few whatsapps all the spots are full for 2019.

To be honest - that is a difficulty of it's own success.

A couple of the things going on on forum have been taken off line - it is a good thing in so many ways.

But, detrimental to the forum in a way.

Thanks for the 'interest.

The Boards Golf Society remains the primary way to network on the golf forum.
    These subsets are a testament to that.

Testament to the great mini tournament it is, all last years players are going again this year.

Advertisement