Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Winter Matchplay (2016/2017)

Options
  • 04-11-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭

Was talking to a few lads and we have decided to run the Mini Winter Matchplay event again - if we can get 6 to 8 lads from here. Ideally 8.

Basically a group of us did this a couple of years ago - based in Corballis for first round of 3 games - The Island was the Semi and Corballis was the final.

Golfgraffix hammered me in the final - but he has gone on to greater things captaining the Boards society to an epic victory in Jug.

So the deal is - matchplay based around the open on a Friday in Corballis , the day can shift based on weather and availability

It is a bit of fun , but a nice competitive edge . We all found it was great for our game the year we did it - you hit the real season running.

The downside is - it is winter , so takes a bit of flexibility and at times you face cold conditions.

We will be asking people to come forward that will be able to play the 3 games - from a work / weather / commitment perspective.

Last time we did it - the weather wasn't great - and it could drag on till march. Again it is only 3 games - to a max of 5.

We will try get a good course for semis and final , but in reality prices have gone up. So we will see how it goes . I'm happy anyway with Corballis.

It will be based on Links, unless another course is needed for geography / weather reasons.

A player can insist on a Links , the spirit of the events is Links - ( not just for me) :D - but no, typically Corballis is like kryptonite to cold weather.

15 euro entry , with all money going back to 1st and 2nd place.

Will be fun / a social aspect and a hip flask at times.

I'd love to get the first round of matches done by end of november - and if weather ok round 2 by christmas break - we realistically could have a month break in january , but it is Ireland so - we will see.

Please thank this post if you are seriously interested - again , please know it is fun - but requires a small bit of commitment to play your 3 games. Typically the games will be played with a 2nd match or a 3 ball.

GUI and if no GUI - a society handicap with recent scores.

Fix

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93216640

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I'd be up for this Fix.

Can play 13th November and that's about it for this month though so if anyone else in interested in getting involved quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd be up for this Fix.

Can play 13th November and that's about it for this month though so if anyone else in interested in getting involved quickly.

Great charlie - is it not a bit of a haul for you ?

By the way, some matches were played at weekends too last time.

BTW - we have 4 now.

(Draft Rules)

Format
    Matchplay - Handicap difference - low player to scratch - higher player to difference.
    All matches in Round-Robin resulting in win is 1 point
    All matches in Round-Robin ending in tie - will result in 1/2 a point each.
    A loss is 0 points.

2 tables will be generated as below example from 2014 (sorry PAR :))

Played HD Points
    FixdePitchmark 3 6 3
    Golfgraffix 3 1 1.5
    Pcasso 3 -3 1
    PARlance 3 -4 0.5

Tie Break Rules at end of Round Robin.
    The match result between the two individuals in question is first consideration.
    If 3 or more players equal - Hole Difference will be used - example, a win 2&1 = +2 for winner and -2 for loser. - therefore actual result needed and losing by less could be important. Result to be posted in thread.

Semi Final is Winner from Group A , playing Runner up in Group B. you can only meet in a final for a 2nd time.

Semi final and final ending in tie - requires extra holes.

Placing as per white rules board outside clubhouse.

Additional Info
    I will generate groups by an independent draw - when I get all 8 names - I will post the two groups up. A good starting point.

Again - a player may choose to enter the singles too - but it was found this can ruin the flow of matchplay. Certainly the observer if there is one - should if a 3 ball.

Great charlie - is it not a bit of a haul for you ?

By the way, some matches were played at weekends too last time.

BTW - we have 4 now.

1:46 to Corballis according to google maps, sure whats another drive for golf? Done enough of it the last few years, Christ i even done a round trip to castle martyr with a bust knee to play golf!!!

Would have to be either a Sunday or the odd Saturday for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pcasso

I am hardly playing any golf these days and would probably embarass myself even more than last time but if you are stuck for a player I can help you make up the numbers Fix.
    I won't take a place ahead of the regular boards golfers.

• Advertisement

pcasso wrote: »
    I am hardly playing any golf these days and would probably embarass myself even more than last time but if you are stuck for a player I can help you make up the numbers Fix.
    I won't take a place ahead of the regular boards golfers.

He started already lads. :D

No, you are a regular - anyway we will need the numbers. Everyone is welcome.

Great stuff.

You were a putt away from a semi last time.

He started already lads. :D

No, you are a regular - anyway we will need the numbers. Everyone is welcome.

Great stuff.

You were a putt away from a semi last time.
    Don't remind me about that putt.
    It still haunts me:o

Don't remind me about that putt.
    It still haunts me:o

Don't worry pcasso - The Island had nothing on Corballis :D:p

Lads - I'm just going to reserve a spot for Golfgraffix as he is defending champ.

so far.

Fix
    Dar
    Pccaso
    Charlie
    Roadrunner

So 2 more spots - could be 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I'm a high handicap, but would be up for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Lads - I'm just going to reserve a spot for Golfgraffix as he is defending champ.

so far.

Fix
    Dar
    Pccaso
    Charlie
    Roadrunner

I am in, hopefully I will get my prize this year !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Alanm

so far.

Fix
    Dar
    Pccaso
    Charlie
    Roadrunner

I'd like to play too

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I'm a high handicap, but would be up for this

Jaysus all welcome.

We love Mexicans
    High handicappers
    and even people from Athlone

Fix
    Dar
    Pccaso
    Charlie
    Roadrunner
    Golfgraffix
    Alan M
    Tom D. BJJ

Great stuff lads we are done.

I'll give people the weekend to think it over.

Again - the fact it is 3 rounds in Corballis over winter. And the 3 matches must be played.

Then I will put up the groups Monday evening - drawn by my son and daughter.
    Again - please consider that you can make the 3 matches - if you can't pm me and I'll open entry again.

Entry closed.

Matches can start Next week - Friday Morning 11th/November.
    I'll be playing someone in my group next friday at 930 hrs.

Just like that, sorted - great stuff, well done all ;).

It genuinely is a good laugh and great for your game - we all (most) dropped handicaps the year we did it.

I am in, hopefully I will get my prize this year !!!!

:eek::D

Jaysus - J sorry if true.

I think it was the shock of the hammering and my astonishment that your handicap was so high ;) - as it transpires, my astonishment was dead right. ;)

But I normally have a better memory than that.

It was something along the lines of - I paid for the round in the final - there is a recollection of a lunch and a 20 euro changing hands.

But I owe you 100s at this stage - so what is 50 quid between friends :P

Surprised you didn't call around to the house for that.

I'm out for serious revenge - but we may never meet at all. As you will hardly get out of group off a proper handicap. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ah here.... entry closed before its open ;)

If anyone drops out, I'll be up for joining yiz

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah here.... entry closed before its open ;)

If anyone drops out, I'll be up for joining yiz

:D

You work Friday. :D

No we will see how we are Monday

1st reserve - or Bubba.

Seve.

1st reserve - or Bubba.

Seve.

Let him have my spot Fix.
    Honestly, I ain't playing much at the moment and I would hate to take the spot off a boards regular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It'll be difficult for me to make all my matches. Maybe my spot can be a rotating spot? (Is that a thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

:eek::D

Jaysus - J sorry if true.

I think it was the shock of the hammering and my astonishment that your handicap was so high ;) - as it transpires, my astonishment was dead right. ;)

But I normally have a better memory than that.

It was something along the lines of - I paid for the round in the final - there is a recollection of a lunch and a 20 euro changing hands.

But I owe you 100s at this stage - so what is 50 quid between friends :P

Surprised you didn't call around to the house for that.

I'm out for serious revenge - but we may never meet at all. As you will hardly get out of group off a proper handicap. ;)

I was jesting, it was aimed at Parlance.

Looking forward to this, it was good crack last time. It was a first seeing my aponant with a full pint of Guinness on the 10th tee. :)

1st reserve - or Bubba.

Seve.

Ah sure I must be due a day or 2 off at this stage!

• Advertisement

Let him have my spot Fix.
    Honestly, I ain't playing much at the moment and I would hate to take the spot off a boards regular

No no no, I'm not looking to take anyone's spot at all, I wouldn't hear of it like that. Let's see how it pans out with numbers but I'd rather not just take your space like that.

Ok lads.

Will put up groups this evening.

Again pm me if you think you can't make it to Dublin for the 3 matches involved in round 1.
    Again they can be played at weekends and we are not tied into a Friday.

I'll post later and I'll be looking for a game Friday morning if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I've booked Friday off, so good to go. Lots of days built up during the year so will be good for most fridays :)

Seve OB wrote: »
    No no no, I'm not looking to take anyone's spot at all, I wouldn't hear of it like that. Let's see how it pans out with numbers but I'd rather not just take your space like that.

Lads - go to PM and come back with one name between the 2 of ye. :)

I'll post groups assuming ye are both in - but come to a name by pm.

Groups done, to follow - great groups.

Ok lads - draw done by kids - a coin decided - who went first - then they picked A or B , then they picked one at a time. Sepp Blatter was not in the room - I have a picture - but hope I don't need proof.

Group A (The Ice Breakers)
    Played HD Points
    dar_cool 0 0 0
    Golfgraffix 0 0 0
    SeveOB 0 0 0
    CharlieIRL 0 0 0

Group B (The Cold Ball Breakers )
    Played HD Points
    Alan M 0 0 0
    FixdePitchmark 0 0 0
    Tom.D.BJJ 0 0 0
    Roadrunner 0 0 0

If anyone pulls out before a game ridonkulous is in - sorry about the oversubscription - Seve and pcasso to put one name forward by pm.

Best of luck lads - looking forward to it. I'm up Friday versus Tom.D.BJJ - anyone else want to make it a 4 ball - about 930 and get 2 games on.

This year we will got to whatsapp too - to help games get on.

Know the games of 6 of the lads above and think they are great groups - delighted to avoid the champ in round 1 (Golfgraffix)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Best of luck lads.... not sure about the WhatsApp group though....

*runs and hides*

PARlance wrote: »
    Best of luck lads.... not sure about the WhatsApp group though....

*runs and hides*

`Would you be able to look after the 15 euros - clearly I seem to have made a mess of this :p

Does it have to be Fridays Fix? Or can we play at the weekend?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Does it have to be Fridays Fix? Or can we play at the weekend?

You can play any day - last year lads met on a sunday / Saturday.

You will get out there any day.

Friday - there is a comp there. But again - once your match is played - and it has to be played to keep integrity of group right.

• Advertisement

Wont look like this - but good footage.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and try get a good rate.

There isn't as many hot deals as there was on tee times last year. But we know things have changed last 2 years.

Advertisement