Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest bike shop in Dublin..still going

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Edit: Was it Hanans or Hanas or Hannas?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it was Hanans ; Fred Hanna was a bookseller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

The New Gem was always a cool place to visit for me as a newb. They always had something "exotic", got my first aprilia off em. They had an eccentric but good mech (Dessie iirc?) who showed me his rc30 and explained some facts of life relating to bikes and engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

H_Lime wrote: »
    The New Gem was always a cool place to visit for me as a newb. They always had something "exotic", got my first aprilia off em. They had an eccentric but good mech (Dessie iirc?) who showed me his rc30 and explained some facts of life relating to bikes and engines.

I know The Gem was around in the 50's..did they sell m/bikes then or just bicycles...??

I know The Gem was around in the 50's..did they sell m/bikes then or just bicycles...??

Im in my forties so couldn't tell ya Max. Was is the gem was christened the new gem when it moved? This was all over 20 yrs ago and I have trouble remembering last week:pac:

Im in my forties so couldn't tell ya Max. Was is the gem was christened the new gem when it moved? This was all over 20 yrs ago and I have trouble remembering last week:pac:

There long before me too...Think it was renamed in the 80's .....but it was still on Chelmsford road...till they moved down the road to Donnybrook..
    Funny it was never a shop i liked....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Remember the one at the end of the malahide rd in fairview, Peter Stuart's shop, can't recall what it was called. And the one across from M/joy motorcycles Dave Fitzsimmons shop, top notch mechanic, can't remember what that was called either.

Two wheels was across from MJ..there was another around the corner tho..can't remember the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

There long before me too...Think it was renamed in the 80's .....but it was still on Chelmsford road...till they moved down the road to Donnybrook..
    Funny it was never a shop i liked....

I know my sister bought a Honda C50 in 1973 from the Gem, back then I think the Fagans owned it, they sold it on to the Ruttle brothers (one who ran the Kawasaki Centre before it was taken over by Megabikes). Not sure if they renamed it The New Gem?

Two Wheels on Blessington Street was run by the Galbraith brothers, I think they went on to take over the Honda M/cycles imports in Honda M50

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Likely was Dessie Shiels, (RIP), founder of the Japanese Classics Owners Club Ireland, subsequently merged with the IVVMCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KT10 wrote: »
    Just to add to the list of shops no longer around, the Italian Shop run by John Elliot. An old school mechanic who helped me out more times than I dare try to count. I was not long after starting out on bikes, and he dealt with all of my stupid questions or poor attempts at self-maintenance with a quick quip, usually spoken around a cigar he's just lit off a butane torch.

A true gentleman who sadly passed away a few years ago.

The Italian Centre. Ah jaysus, didn't know that. Only had work done by him once about 15 years ago but a very nice guy.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Nodster wrote: »
    I know my sister bought a Honda C50 in 1973 from the Gem, back then I think the Fagans owned it, they sold it on to the Ruttle brothers (one who ran the Kawasaki Centre before it was taken over by Megabikes). Not sure if they renamed it The New Gem?

Yeah he did, anyone else have... interesting... dealings back in the day with the owner of TNG? I've stood in things with more personality

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tarmac_Diva

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Well done, I was only short of dropping into M&A during the week to work out which way around it was.

M&A were at the top of the lane where the old DMG was alright,
    It was owned by two brothers
    Michael and Alan Meaney, their father had the small bike shop across on the opposite side of the junction.

Down the lane beside the shop was GP motorcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

The Italian Centre. Ah jaysus, didn't know that. Only had work done by him once about 15 years ago but a very nice guy.

Yes, the Italian Centre, can't believe I got that wrong!

Likely was Dessie Shiels, (RIP), founder of the Japanese Classics Owners Club Ireland, subsequently merged with the IVVMCC.
    Seemed a nice fella, took time to redirect me on my creative servicing techniques:pac: Think he had a yammy bulldog in later yrs, remember chatting to him on some Wicklow spins.

Maybe we should have a "Stupid things I did to (or on) my bike when I didn't know any better" thread :)

Life ain't always empty.

Tightening the chain on the loose spot was an early fave:pac::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gramp

The MB Motorcycles shop was either where the NCBI charity shop is now or next door to it. I bought two bikes there, including a new GT 500 Suzuki in August 1977. MB (Gerry Stephens and Eamonn Waldron, who died a long time ago) also had a bike shop in Prices Place Ranelagh and I bought two Triumph bikes from them there.

They later opened a big shop off Whitefriar St. During the boom in the nineties they got an offer they couldn't refuse and finance Bikeworld with some of the proceeds. Alas, Eamonn was dead quite a while at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gramp

That is, the MB shop on Crumlin Road.

The place off Whitefriar St. was K.D.I. - Kawasaki Distributors Ireland - they used to have a sectioned Z1300 (inline six) engine and transmission on display... bought my first Dainese leathers in there in '99 or '00 not long before they moved to Bikeworld.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 burtner

That was run by Arthur Stephens and the young lad Paul Clifford !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone remember Eamon Waldron and Vinnie Farrell racing Z1s in the '70s?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

And Charlie’s in Ballybough?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Some memories from the 70s

MnB in prices Lane Ranelagh run by Gerry Stephens and Eamon Waldron (RIP) a gentleman. Eamon had a Vincent Black Shadow and his wife/partner rode a 500c vincent as far as I can remember.

The Gem Chelmsford Road run by Brendan Fagan, Brendan was more interested in rallying cars than he was in Motorbikes

Bob Sheeran, who was Chas Mortimer's mechanic, had his workshop in a lane off sandford road opposite T.Humphreys, he later moved to Rathgar and was the best 2 stroke mechanic in ireland IMO

DMG the Five Lamps run by Derek McGuire, another gentleman

John Elliot (Italian Centre) ended his years running a workshop in Phibsborough just off the NCR/Rathdown road

????? Capel St/Bolton St Ducati Agent - not much interested in selling anything in my day though I have a 100cc Ducati Cadet (2 stroke)bought there.

Bohemiam Motors _ I think this was Mountjoy Mororcycles workshop(?) and was located in phibsborough in the lane behind McDonalds

Speedwell Motorcycles located in a Lane of Mounjoy St was run by Ivor Shire and Simon Fraser-Casey who rode a 750/4 with great gusto until he hit a morris minor in Raheny poor guy never really recovered.

Francis st. Spares - great spot.

Reg Armstrong pearse street/Ringend Road the source of all things Honda

Mountjoy Motorcycles - the university of mtorcycling!

DanFay run by Danny Keany and located in Stephen St (I think?) source of all things yamaha

Priory Motorcycles NCR (near croker) -source of all things Suzuki

Louis Carter Mount Street Crescent the cleanest workshop in ireland

I'll leave it at that for now.

Post edited by 01Surveyor on

The Suzuki distributor place on NCR was called Priory by my time (mid 90s), they were great for saying they had a part in stock and then not having it when you got there. Knocked down a few years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

I think youre right it was Priory not Capital, I never knew anyone who bought anything there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Priory are still around, up in Cabra.

Took a month to get a part from them,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Huet Bros 7-8 Batchelor’s Walk, BSA importers, closed in 1974.

Lindsay Motorcycles 25-27 Great Ship St, closed in 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bohemiam Motors was run by 'Ginger' O'Beirne. I think Mountjoy used them before they set up their own workshop.

Aidan O'Keefe in Parkgate St - a small old-fashioned shop.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

There was Ace motorcycles , around the corner from Mountjoy Motors, Denis was the name of the mechanic there, top bloke, mostly did servicing but sold the odd hack as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Advertisement