Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protection

Options
  • 30-10-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

News of stabbing incidents and robberies coming more common to me especially this year. Just recently found out a distant friend of mine got held at knifepoint in Dublin, made me think what does one do to avoid it apart from giving the scumbag what he wants. Pepper spray and carrying knifes are illegal, so maybe was thinking of getting those 10 in 1 tool kits, in case anyone causes trouble. What would you do if your house was getting robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

News of stabbing incidents and robberies coming more common to me especially this year. Just recently found out a distant friend of mine got held at knifepoint in Dublin, made me think what does one do to avoid it apart from giving the scumbag what he wants. Pepper spray and carrying knifes are illegal, so maybe was thinking of getting those 10 in 1 tool kits, in case anyone causes trouble. What would you do if your house was gettimg robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

Blast them with piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What would you do if your house was gettimg robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

Get naked and start roaring 99 Luftballons at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

To be honest chances of getting robbed at knife point are slim and I don't think carrying a 10in1 around on the off chance you will get robbed is the right thing to do as it will more than likely lead to someone getting hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I thought this thread was going to be about johnnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

News of stabbing incidents and robberies coming more common to me especially this year. Just recently found out a distant friend of mine got held at knifepoint in Dublin, made me think what does one do to avoid it apart from giving the scumbag what he wants. Pepper spray and carrying knifes are illegal, so maybe was thinking of getting those 10 in 1 tool kits, in case anyone causes trouble. What would you do if your house was gettimg robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

What are you going to do... Give him a manicure first, open a bottle of wine and fix his bike?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Pepper spray isn't illegal for culinary uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What would you do if your house was gettimg robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?
    If I was getting robbed, probably the torque wrench. Not in the toolbox so easier to reach. If held up at gunpoint, eh, take what you want buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Its a good idea to carry a wallet full of old expired cards and a few notes like tens and fives so you can just hand it over fast and let them make their get away. It will also buy you time to run before they realise they've been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pepper mill. Say you're on the way home from dinner if questioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I use factor 45, any less than that and you're looking for trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Swift kick in the nuts did it when some **** tried to rob me in the street. Dont try to be a hero, Disable them for long enough to get away.

Had someone attempting to break into the house about a year ago while we were in. Garda were there in mins and got them but had they got in I may have taken a claw hammer to the ***** knees to give me a chance to leg it until help arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Oven cleaner aerosol.
    Pick one that squirts out as far as possible.
    Perfectly legal to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Oven cleaner aerosol.
    Pick one that squirts out as far as possible.
    Perfectly legal to carry.

Can you get that in a pocket size? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Esel wrote: »
    Can you get that in a pocket size? :)

Depends on the size of your pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

carrying oven cleaner might be legal but spraying it in some scumbags eyesbwill get you in hassell
    fine if younplannon running awaybbut dont end up innfront of a judge arguing you hadnt carried it with intent and that you hadnt ment to blind the scobie

Tigger wrote: »
    carrying oven cleaner might be legal but spraying it in some scumbags eyesbwill get you in hassell
    fine if younplannon running awaybbut dont end up innfront of a judge arguing you hadnt carried it with intent and that you hadnt ment to blind the scobie

I'll take my chances!
    When people are too afraid of the legal consequences of defending themselves against robbery or assault, it ceases to be a normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A good gawp at my explosive belt frightens off these types - I wear one at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lynx in a travel can sorted.

If you smell spray it on and if one tries it on spray em as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Jamjamdam wrote: »
    Just talk or roar in the case of a dirty jackeen, they'll run a mile, dublin scumbags.

lol, why don't you post with your 'real account' ? It's clowns like you who sit there drinking looking for people to bite with your stupid comments. There is a fair few scumbags in Dublin I agree, but shur ye get that in all counties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

greenflash wrote: »
    Depends on the size of your pockets.
    Is that a can of degreasing spray in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just wear a stab proof vest, sorted

what does one do to avoid it apart from giving the scumbag what he wants.

Apparently not giving them what they want is the way to go about it. In fact doing the complete opposite of what they want in many situations has been recommended. If they say get in the car - you do not get in the car. If they say do not scream - you scream. And so on.

At least that is the thinking of people like Gavin de Becker on the subject - who is seeminglz some kind of expert on violence.

We do Brazilian JuJitsu and a few related things ourselves here and it has come into use on a few occasions. Including an attempted rape attack on a girlfriend.
    What would you do if your house was getting robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

Happened once but the canine dealt with it.

I woke up needing water and on route to the kitchen I found a not altogether unpleasant young man (not a total junkie by any means) sitting with his back against the wall with said canine glaring him out of it with the occasional baring of teeth.

In a broken and quiet voice - having seen me - he just said "Dude - been here - hours - get this thing - away from me - pleeeeeeease".

Seemingly the faithful hound had threatened him not only if he tried to move - but if he made any moves to sleep either. So he was kept there in a permanent state of fear for his life AND sleep deprivation for some hours.

I calmly proceeded to the kitchen - had my water - stuck the kettle on - called the police - made the young reprobate a nice tea - gave it to him - sat down on a couch near by and turned late night television on - and basically we both watched TV until the cops got there. (Not a satisfactory response time by them as it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

what does one do to avoid it apart from giving the scumbag what he wants.

Apparently not giving them what they want is the way to go about it. In fact doing the complete opposite of what they want in many situations has been recommended. If they say get in the car - you do not get in the car. If they say do not scream - you scream. And so on.

At least that is the thinking of people like Gavin de Becker on the subject - who is seeminglz some kind of expert on violence.

We do Brazilian JuJitsu and a few related things ourselves here and it has come into use on a few occasions. Including an attempted rape attack on a girlfriend.
    What would you do if your house was getting robbed or you were held at gun/knifepoint ?

Happened once but the canine dealt with it.

I woke up needing water and on route to the kitchen I found a not altogether unpleasant young man (not a total junkie by any means) sitting with his back against the wall with said canine glaring him out of it with the occasional baring of teeth.

In a broken and quiet voice - having seen me - he just said "Dude - been here - hours - get this thing - away from me - pleeeeeeease".

Seemingly the faithful hound had threatened him not only if he tried to move - but if he made any moves to sleep either. So he was kept there in a permanent state of fear for his life AND sleep deprivation for some hours.

I calmly proceeded to the kitchen - had my water - stuck the kettle on - called the police - made the young reprobate a nice tea - gave it to him - sat down on a couch near by and turned late night television on - and basically we both watched TV until the cops got there. (Not a satisfactory response time by them as it happens).

You're Batman ? Right.

You're Batman ? Right.

Did he own a dog and liked to make tea for intruders?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I thought this thread was going to be about johnnies.

If you're attacked outside the Iona Institute...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Small can of deep heat spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Augme

If you honestly need to carry oven cleaner in your pockets to feel safe in Dublin city you should get counselling. And I'm not being flippant, I seriously think that would be the best thing to do.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    If you honestly need to carry oven cleaner in your pockets to feel safe in Dublin city you should get counselling. And I'm not being flippant, I seriously think that would be the best thing to do.

Should I wait till after I'm a victim of some little scrote , and just go for the victim counselling, or should I get started with the pre-attack counselling now?

Advertisement