Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO broadband - Good or Bad???

Options
  • 29-10-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

hi.

My Virgin 240mb has gone to crap!:mad::mad::mad:
    Was great up to a few weeks ago, but not now!!!

Has anybody experience of ESB “SIRO broadband”.
    Is it worth going too????:confused:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131437&page=278

I have 150mbit, it's good, nothing spectacular, I'd wager their routing can only improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Was considering getting this, as fed up with Sky Fibre. However, the routers being given out (by either Vodafone or Digiweb) are not the best. The Fritz!box from Digiweb is 5years old and ha no 5Ghz band, and Heawai box from Vodafone just arn't great routers

Also I've seen a few people who got Siro, say they are not getting the speeds that are advertised, which is not great considering i is supposed to be fibre direct to your home, and not just to the local cabinet.

Anyone with Siro agree/disagree with the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With SIRO/OpenEir FTTH the interface to the consumer is just ethernet, dont purchase a service based on the CPE when you can swap it*.

*VOIP may complicate it for some, SIRO IPTV is yet to be documented but should work with all modern hardware.

easkey wrote: »
    My Virgin 240mb has gone to crap!

Depends on why its crap. If its wifi issues then they may follow you from provider to provider as it is to do with the address and those next to it.

If its otherwise degraded (knackered coax main) then 150 or 300Mb SIRO would be a pretty good replacement with the big caveat of usage limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭paddy19

"My Virgin 240mb has gone to crap!"

Obviously, your Virgin speed should not be crap.
    They have direct co-ax cable into your house.

Kick up an mighty row and get it fixed.

It is probably due to a fault in the cable or water ingress.
    Its not rocket science for them to check the speed at each stage and isolate the fault,
    although intermittent problems can be tough to find.

I always wonder why we accept crap service when we just need to hustle to get it fixed.

In fairness I found Virgin pretty good when I had problems with the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Was considering getting this, as fed up with Sky Fibre. However, the routers being given out (by either Vodafone or Digiweb) are not the best. The Fritz!box from Digiweb is 5years old and ha no 5Ghz band, and Heawai box from Vodafone just arn't great routers

Also I've seen a few people who got Siro, say they are not getting the speeds that are advertised, which is not great considering i is supposed to be fibre direct to your home, and not just to the local cabinet.

Anyone with Siro agree/disagree with the above?

talking out of your arse there, ive just got my fritz!box (4040) off them for a install on the 7th and its dual wireless AC+N with both 2.4gh and 5ghz and a max data rate of 866Mbit/s over wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It is sometimes your wifi devices can't take advantage of full speed especially older and cheaper devices. My 4th generation iPad bought in 2012 can only managed 54mbs on a 5ghz wireless network. My Samsung S7 phone can see almost the full bandwidth with my OpenEir Ftth connection at 150mbs over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rat catcher

I am waiting on my new set up but I was sent out a Fritz box 7560 and it supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz and get good reviews. I will be waiting till the 8th to find out just how good the new setup is!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

paddy19 wrote: »
    "My Virgin 240mb has gone to crap!"

Obviously, your Virgin speed should not be crap.
    They have direct co-ax cable into your house.

Kick up an mighty row and get it fixed.

It is probably due to a fault in the cable or water ingress.
    Its not rocket science for them to check the speed at each stage and isolate the fault,
    although intermittent problems can be tough to find.

I always wonder why we accept crap service when we just need to hustle to get it fixed.

In fairness I found Virgin pretty good when I had problems with the speed.

They say no issue, how is this speed pic (on 240mb)
    looking into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

easkey wrote: »
    They say no issue, how is this speed pic (on 240mb)
    looking into it!

Have you tried testing on Virgin's own server - http://support.virginmedia.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/931/SpeedTest

Are you testing via ethernet cable with a gigabit network card?

• Advertisement

Have you tried testing on Virgin's own server - http://support.virginmedia.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/931/SpeedTest

Are you testing via ethernet cable with a gigabit network card?

Doesnt really matter when he's seeing 50% of his US, thats a sign of something bigger (Contention, degradation)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    The Fritz!box from Digiweb is 5years old and ha no 5Ghz band

Which model Fritz!Box are Digiweb giving out ?

Most providers, that use the AVM Fritz!Box and supply FTTH would be giving out the 7560 these days and that certainly does 5 GHz.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Marlow wrote: »
    Which model Fritz!Box are Digiweb giving out ?

Most providers, that use the AVM Fritz!Box and supply FTTH would be giving out the 7560 these days and that certainly does 5 GHz.

/M

7560 and 4040

dazdrog wrote: »
    7560 and 4040

Some providers also give out the 7360.

Digiweb is actually offering existing customers to upgrade to the 7560 for 50 quid: https://www.digiweb.ie/fritzbox-7560/

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

I know its all topic but does anyone have experience or knowledge which Siro reseller give better router Digiweb or Vodafone currently?

jowkon wrote: »
    I know its all topic but does anyone have experience or knowledge which Siro reseller give better router Digiweb or Vodafone currently?

There are no resellers. SIROs network only covers the last mile, so the network from there and to the internet varies a lot between providers. Reselling something would indicate, they're all them same. They're not.

And the Fritz!Box that is used by a lot of SIRO partners, is the better router. Even though Vodafones newest router is a good improvement over the last one they supplied.

/M

Thank you Marlow. Digiweb is €90 more expensive atm. Router expense would explain this.
    Do you know how they compare with wifi signal I mean how good bad Vodafone one is?

Depends on much hassle with support and billing you can bear .. (i've never seen Vodafone get a bill right, but that's me).

Have a read here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057913050

That's about the new Vodafone router.

The one that Digiweb and others supplied is a lot more advanced and not locked down.

/M

Thank you.
    I need to choose one of them cos my eir cataract is close to end. Siro should be here next few months. Digiweb toled me that after 3 mouths I will be able to swap for Siro without penalties. Vodafone maybe not so kind.

jowkon wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I need to choose one of them cos my eir cataract is close to end. Siro should be here next few months. Digiweb toled me that after 3 mouths I will be able to swap for Siro without penalties. Vodafone maybe not so kind.

Have a search, but the reports from people about Vodafone here on boards is, that they won't let people move to the SIRO promo, that were out of contract on other Vodafone products. They will only allow you to change, if you pay them more money ... at least that is what it seems.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement