Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

snoopy84 wrote: »
    Revolut told me I couldn't top up with turkish lira, that they don't support it
    ????

You top up in euro then exchange to Lira.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Malas noticias, mis compañeros agentes.

We had previously been informed by email from Netflix that the Argentinian government would be applying a 35% tax on Netflix starting in Sept

I have regularly being paying ARS 449 so was expecting to pay ARS 157 extra but today I was actually billed for a total of ARS 736.35 which is a 64% increase.

Anyone know WTF is going on over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

Lucas Hood wrote:

Thanks
    Trying all weekend, couldn't exchange to lira. Tried again there and of course straight away exchanged no bother 🙄
    Anyway still wouldn't accept payment 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

Lucas Hood wrote: »

You would still use the same Revolut card, right? Is Revolut intelligent enough to detect the currency requested, then look at your existing currency accounts and use the correct account, leaving your main Euro account alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

lud wrote: »
    You would still use the same Revolut card, right? Is Revolut intelligent enough to detect the currency requested, then look at your existing currency accounts and use the correct account, leaving your main Euro account alone?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Right folks, have been paying in TL for a long time now. Unfortunately, new bank card issued and it won't accept the updated payment method (AIB debit card). Any ideas ? Have tried a BOI and Revolut also - same message. Just tried the AIB card now on VPN but failed again. Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Malas noticias, mis compañeros agentes.

We had previously been informed by email from Netflix that the Argentinian government would be applying a 35% tax on Netflix starting in Sept

I have regularly being paying ARS 449 so was expecting to pay ARS 157 extra but today I was actually billed for a total of ARS 736.35 which is a 64% increase.

Anyone know WTF is going on over there?

I was on ARS also, was normally lying €5.06 - €5.15 most months. This month was €8.96. Just cancelled. What’s the cheapest country nowadays Turkey?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

I pay through Turkey. Around €4.80 for the 4 Screen plan

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I was on the Argentinian plan but cancelled with the new tax fee there...

- Let my membership lapse
    - Waited a day and tried to renew from "Turkey"
    - It said that it will cost 41.99 TL/mo, so I'm logged in from the correct place.

However, when I try to finalize the payment it says "There seems to be a problem with the payment method you are trying to use"

I'm using the same BOI Mastercard registered to my account that I used from "Argentina" but no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

From memory lads,

Cancel.

Once the membership lapses, log into Netflix with a Turkish VPN.

restart membership.

Prices will then be in TRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭cullenswood

rcs wrote: »
    I was on the Argentinian plan but cancelled with the new tax fee there...

- Let my membership lapse
    - Waited a day and tried to renew from "Turkey"
    - It said that it will cost 41.99 TL/mo, so I'm logged in from the correct place.

However, when I try to finalize the payment it says "There seems to be a problem with the payment method you are trying to use"

I'm using the same BOI Mastercard registered to my account that I used from "Argentina" but no joy :(

Exact same happened to me. (BOI Mastercard also). I went back to Argentina for now until I figure it out. I think it would have let me use Brazil but I didn't have a phone number set up and it wanted to text me.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

I did all of the above to sign up for turkey but no joy

snoopy84 wrote: »
    I did all of the above to sign up for turkey but no joy

I think we’re screwed. And to think that I was good with Turkey until 2024 with my AIB card. Lost the bloody think and had to update payment details. Bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Someone mentioned using a Curve account recently and it working? Curve payment but actually linking back to a Revolut account. Anyone tried that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

stesaurus wrote: »
    Someone mentioned using a Curve account recently and it working? Curve payment but actually linking back to a Revolut account. Anyone tried that?

I used curve. Not necessary to link to Revolut as you get a good rate through Curve anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Is possible to do from start as in post #1 or variation of ?? New to Netflix

Sasso wrote: »
    Is possible to do from start as in post #1 or variation of ?? New to Netflix

I'm also a new user. Last week I tried to open an account from Turkey, was prompted for card details, used Revolut and immediately received error "something went wrong".
    I did not want to start with Irish subscription as currently no offers, so I went to Poland. Premium plan for less than 1EUR for 30 days. I was asked to provide a Polish number, found somebody with Polish mobile number and used that. All went through using the same Revolut card. When I logged in to Netflix I was asked to add a phone number, keyed in my Irish mob number, so now my Netflix account has my Revolut added as payment method and the Irish number.
    Not sure what will happen after I cancel subscription and move elsewhere to resume it. Polish Netflix full price is nearly 12EUR so will try to move.

Btw if anyone wants to try with Polish, not sure if 100% works, but there is service to receive SMS to Polish numbers for example:
    https://receive-sms-free.net/Free-Poland-Phone-Number/

I tried this for other services, sometimes there is a delay in receiving the messages. I could not find a similar website with Turkish number unfortunately. Somebody posted here they were prompted to provide a Turkish number when subscribing, I didn't get to that stage anyway, immediately received 'something went wrong' error

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

stesaurus wrote: »

I used Curve linked to my PTSB bank account - it doesn't need to be linked to Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭5star02707

Another alternative is add your revolut card to paypal and use paypal payment instead. Make sure to change charged on local currency when using PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

5star02707 wrote: »
    Another alternative is add your revolut card to paypal and use paypal payment instead. Make sure to change charged on local currency when using PayPal.

PayPal isn't an option for Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

My Argentinian netflix was charged as ARS736 instead of ARS449. This happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

jdon72 wrote: »
    My Argentinian netflix was charged as ARS736 instead of ARS449. This happen to anyone else?

There is now a 35% tax on Netflix in Argentina,

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

Been with Netflix Turkey for about 2 years now. Costs roughly 3 euros for 2 screen HD package. I just logged into Netflix Ireland to update the expiry date on my visa debit and was surprised to see it had auto-updated so I didn't have to change anything. Looks like I might get another 4 years out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

jdon72 wrote: »

Yes, this exact same thing happened to me. There was an email a month ago from Netflix that they would add 35% tax but that should only bring the total to ARS 606.
    I contacted Netflix who said nothing to do with them, they only took 449 and they said the credit card company is responsible for collecting the tax in this case and advised me to contact the credit card company.
    Naturally when I got onto credit card company (Revolut) they said nothing to do with them either and that the merchant had advised them that the payment was ARS736.35. I had the option to dispute the payment but that would probably end my Netflix account so I didn't do that.

I would cancel Argentina and move to Turkey but it seems that a lot of people are having issues signing up there with any kind of card so I am staying put for a while so see how it plays out.

My guess is that they are for some reason charging 21% VAT plus this new 35% tax so 449 x 1.21 x 1.35 = 733.44 ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Yes, this exact same thing happened to me. There was an email a month ago from Netflix that they would add 35% tax but that should only bring the total to ARS 606.
    I contacted Netflix who said nothing to do with them, they only took 449 and they said the credit card company is responsible for collecting the tax in this case and advised me to contact the credit card company.
    Naturally when I got onto credit card company (Revolut) they said nothing to do with them either and that the merchant had advised them that the payment was ARS736.35. I had the option to dispute the payment but that would probably end my Netflix account so I didn't do that.

I would cancel Argentina and move to Turkey but it seems that a lot of people are having issues signing up there with any kind of card so I am staying put for a while so see how it plays out.

My guess is that they are for some reason charging 21% VAT plus this new 35% tax so 449 x 1.21 x 1.35 = 733.44 ??????

Think Brazil works out cheaper than the new Argentina price, so you could try that.

Can someone change the spreadsheet at the top of this post to the updated Argentina price?

Terminator wrote: »
    Been with Netflix Turkey for about 2 years now. Costs roughly 3 euros for 2 screen HD package. I just logged into Netflix Ireland to update the expiry date on my visa debit and was surprised to see it had auto-updated so I didn't have to change anything. Looks like I might get another 4 years out of this.

Now.....how could Netflix possibly know the exp date of a new card?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

In my case, the number of the card stayed the same. Apparently VISA and others supply updates to the likes of Netflix so that subscriptions carry on seemlessly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/7pt37q/how_did_netflix_know_my_new_credit_card_info/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Might be time to move from Argentina...

Turkey still need a phone to verify?

• Advertisement

BKWDR wrote: »
    Might be time to move from Argentina...

Turkey still need a phone to verify?

I think it’s the payment method on turkey that’s proving to be the stickler.

Advertisement