Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Maz2016 wrote: »
    How do you do that ?

The same way people outside the US got Disney plus when it was only a US service. Set VPN for US & open a new google account. This account is now a US play store account with or without a VPN. You can buy US play store gift cards but I have my Revolut account linked. This is how I pay & use HBO Max & Showtime also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The same way people outside the US got Disney plus when it was only a US service. Set VPN for US & open a new google account. This account is now a US play store account with or without a VPN. You can buy US play store gift cards but I have my Revolut account linked. This is how I pay & use HBO Max & Showtime also

Interesting. Thanks a mill for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Just to say I tried this today. I tried Argentina first using nord vpn on laptop. It took me to the payments page. It declined as my card was from a different country of origin. I also tried the American Disney. That was $6.99. I used the PayPal option with my revolut linked to it. That charged me €5.76. It processed but then I got an error saying billing error. The money was not taken from my revolut so I don’t think it can be done, easily

I have tried India for Disney plus, there was a huge saving to be made but impossible (to me anyway) to set up an account. Needed an Indian mobile, found a and service on the net but it had been used before so I ended up in someone else's account, as well accounts seem to be linked to a mobile number that you use to log in not just a number to get OTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I was onto getflix live chat and asked about it. They said I can just switch off their dns In the modem. They did say they’re working on a Disney switch like Netflix but have no eta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I tried to renew today using proton basic. I had trouble with the payment details having changed my billing info from paypal to revolut this month. Eventually I got one of my cards accepted but then i was asked for a turkish mobile number :mad:. I tried the process again and ran into payment issues again. Eventually signed back up to irish netflix using revolut card and will try again in a month. If it doesn't work, then I won't bother with netflix. It's a ripoff in Ireland.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

I tried to renew today using proton basic. I had trouble with the payment details having changed my billing info from paypal to revolut this month. Eventually I got one of my cards accepted but then i was asked for a turkish mobile number :mad:. I tried the process again and ran into payment issues again. Eventually signed back up to irish netflix using revolut card and will try again in a month. If it doesn't work, then I won't bother with netflix. It's a ripoff in Ireland.

Agreed it’s pricey, but there’s great content in my opinion. The interface is superb and I’ve never failed to find something good to watch. It’s expensive compared to turkey of course but it’s all relative. People’s grumblings on the cost are accentuated by both cheaper (other) country rates and readily available IPTV offerings.

That said, I’ve been on a Turkish sub for years now but if Netflix ever clamp down, I’d be paying the full sub without hesitation. Like 4 quid per week or thereabouts?

dodzy wrote: »
    Agreed it’s pricey, but there’s great content in my opinion. The interface is superb and I’ve never failed to find something good to watch. It’s expensive compared to turkey of course but it’s all relative. People’s grumblings on the cost are accentuated by both cheaper (other) country rates and readily available IPTV offerings.

That said, I’ve been on a Turkish sub for years now but if Netflix ever clamp down, I’d be paying the full sub without hesitation. Like 4 quid per week or thereabouts?

I find there's a lot of mismatch on netflix. They might only have part 2 of a trilogy and they often have content only for a short time. I wanted to watch the hunger games a few weeks ago only to find it had been removed. I don't know of any other services that routinely remove content after a few weeks of having it available.

I wasn't aware of cheaper prices elsewhere and was cancelling my account anyway because they increased the price. The interface is OK but they put the same film in multiple categories often where they don't belong. Each to their own, but it's not worth the price being charged in Ireland in my opinion. I kept my sub for a small number of netflix series, like homeland and designated survivor, most of which have dried up.

Fingers crossed the turkey move works next time. I don't mind if it doesn't. There are other places to go for an occasional viewer like me. And the kids have their disney.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Rainislove wrote: »
    Login with your irish ip and then use vpn

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you said and I did get logged in, but when getting to the payment bit, it still says there is a problem with the payment.

I might renew with Euro again, cancel, and try again next month, but looks like the are clamping down.

When I sign in, the only option given is to renew subscription, then it takes you to a page with your name and card number, but when I click continue, I get the "Problem with Payment" error, and it doesn't let you do a whole lot other than change your payment details. Not being asked for a different mobile, as some have said on here previously, like a Turkish mobile number.

When I set the account up initially, I gave it my Revolut Card and Irish mobile, so don't know if I should have assigned a mobile to it on initial set-up.

So I've tried Turkey, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina and none worked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Can I ask what payment methods are working?

Should I use my Revolut card or a different card?

Can I ask what payment methods are working?

Should I use my Revolut card or a different card?

Revolut is supposed to work, but only if its your normal payment method I believe. You could use a virtual card number. Others have used Curve successfully. I think Netflix are just closing off some loopholes and are making it more difficult to use the VPN trick. I asked customer support about payment and gave my location as Turkey. He knew what was going on even though he couldn't prove it. Told me I need a turkish mobile number and a turkish bank card. Rubbish!

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

For the hbo max, don't you have to be on vpn everytime when you watch?

Rainislove wrote:
    For the hbo max, don't you have to be on vpn everytime when you watch?

I use a Smart dns. Costs less than 50c per month. It gets me HBO, Showtime, iplayer, UK now tv etc

I use a Smart dns. Costs less than 50c per month. It gets me HBO, Showtime, iplayer, UK now tv etc

Is that plan still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Go here: https://protonvpn.com/pricing

There’s a drop down that says annual. Change that to monthly, then select basic. It should show €5

Cheers!
    I was trying with IPVanish which I already have a sub with but it wouldn't work, got a message on the Netflix login page saying 'something went wrong'.

ProtonVPN worked though.

So I set my vpn to US and opened a new play store account. That’s on US aswell. Linked my card details. But Disney+ (Or Netflix) don’t appear in the play store. Am I doing something wrong? HBO , NBC, etc are there but not Disney+ The prices are in dollars so I know I’m on a US play store

Maz2016 wrote:
    So I set my vpn to US and opened a new play store account. That’s on US aswell. Linked my card details. But Disney+ (Or Netflix) don’t appear in the play store. Am I doing something wrong? HBO , NBC, etc are there but not Disney+ The prices are in dollars so I know I’m on a US play store

Are they already installed on your device? Maybe if you uninstall them then they might be in the US app store

Are they already installed on your device? Maybe if you uninstall them then they might be in the US app store

Thanks, no their not pal ready installed which is v weird

Maz2016 wrote:
    Thanks, no their not pal ready installed which is v weird

I have no answer to that. You definitely seem to be on US playstore judging by the other apps & dollars. I have no idea why they aren't showing up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This is the get Netflix cheaper thread ya?

This is the get Netflix cheaper thread ya?

It's Boards. You have to expect a little off topic stuff. Besides all relevant information is the first comment at start of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Gah, Revolut of all people are causing me aggro over this. Originally changed to Turkey via this thread over a year or so ago all grand and dandy, using their virtual card.
    Roll on this week and email from Revolut saying I was luckily chosen for a virtual card upgrade - that the new one would be more widely accepted etc etc. However, in issuing this new virtual card (which to be honest, I’m not all at all fussed about), they are cancelling my current virtual card, which the Netflix is tied too.

..and of course, any attempt I made to update my payment details, whether to my physical Revolut or even to any of my other cards, last night were met with the dreaded ‘issue with payment’ message.

Bloody Revolut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yeah I think the best bet for anyone starting this is to create a new virtual card for use with Netflix. Doesn’t need to be used for the first month in Ireland either as long as you add the payment details before your current Irish subscription expires.

All going well, I will have this working until 2026.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

racersedge wrote: »
    Gah, Revolut of all people are causing me aggro over this. Originally changed to Turkey via this thread over a year or so ago all grand and dandy, using their virtual card.
    Roll on this week and email from Revolut saying I was luckily chosen for a virtual card upgrade - that the new one would be more widely accepted etc etc. However, in issuing this new virtual card (which to be honest, I’m not all at all fussed about), they are cancelling my current virtual card, which the Netflix is tied too.

..and of course, any attempt I made to update my payment details, whether to my physical Revolut or even to any of my other cards, last night were met with the dreaded ‘issue with payment’ message.

Bloody Revolut!!
    Don't turn on your VPN when logging into Netflix to update your payment details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

I did try to re sign up with an account that had lapsed over a year ago, in ireland and a revolut card, virtual card, and ive been picked for the new virtual card too, but netflix absolutely not having it. may try to get through to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

So I finally moved to Mexico (not turkey) early this month after following all the steps, now Revoult has decided to re-issue my virtual card and guess what neither the new virtual card or Curve will work. Any suggestion ? other than having to go back to Irish and do the whole process again.

PS the old virtual card is still valid for another 60 days,

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

So I finally moved to Mexico (not turkey) early this month after following all the steps, now Revoult has decided to re-issue my virtual card and guess what neither the new virtual card or Curve will work. Any suggestion ? other than having to go back to Irish and do the whole process again.

PS the old virtual card is still valid for another 60 days,

I'm on Turkey for a few years now

Last time it wouldn't let me add virtual Revolut so I have been on Revolut via Curve for a while.
    Anyway decided to try and add virtual Revolut again (just to put off the expiry date as much as possible)
    No joy for a few attempts so I went about my business.
    Anyway went back to it while logged into netflix.com on brave browser on the phone (yodata VPN to US) and it added no problem.
    Just to check it wasn't a fluke I've repeated the steps with another card which I won't be using and it added no problem.
    I have no idea why this works but it's worth a shot at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

I wasn’t able to get my cards accepted, so I bought Turkish TL Netflix gift cards instead and applied to my account.

galldar wrote: »
    I wasn’t able to get my cards accepted, so I bought Turkish TL Netflix gift cards instead and applied to my account.

Grom where you bought the gift card?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Was not having any joy with my Revolut card, on reading this thread i tried the following, Existing membership lapsed yesterday

1. Set up a new virtual card on Revolut
    2. signed in on Irish site, went through to payment details and updated to new virtual card, did not complete the purchase
    3. fired up Hola VPN and set it to Turkey
    4. Signed up to the premium plan

It worked, got charged €4.70 on my Revolut account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Also got a new virtual card. Been trying for a while to update my Netflix to a longer-dated card. Tried to sign in with VPN + incognito, got in but kept getting payment error.

But then I turned VPN on, signed in through Netflix.com/simplemember/accountpayment on incognito, turned VPN off and it updated this time when I put in the new card details! Now good until 2026 hopefully.

Advertisement