Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrians on regional roads.

Options
  • 24-10-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Since the introduction of better roads around Ireland, and the health buzz obsession of power walking/running too, I’ve noticed a trend of people out walking on regional roads in heavy traffic areas, most notably on regional roads close to motorway junctions. These pedestrians are on Hard Shoulders with Hi-Viz or without, walking their dogs, not in single file, etc.

There are no paths along most of these roads, and close to roundabouts where the hard shoulder ends, pedestrians are on the driving section of the road. Surely, people should be walking in areas that have paths, and are not close to fast moving traffic, where the danger of being knocked down is greater.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so given that someone may be living in an area without footpaths, what is your solution? you seem to suggest they should not be walking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Since the introduction of better roads around Ireland, and the health buzz obsession of power walking/running too, I’ve noticed a trend of people out walking on regional roads in heavy traffic areas, most notably on regional roads close to motorway junctions. These pedestrians are on Hard Shoulders with Hi-Viz or without, walking their dogs, not in single file, etc.

There are no paths along most of these roads, and close to roundabouts where the hard shoulder ends, pedestrians are on the driving section of the road. Surely, people should be walking in areas that have paths, and are not close to fast moving traffic, where the danger of being knocked down is greater.

I think there have already been fatalities because of this. It is particularly dangerous in Ireland where the hard shoulder often doubles as an overtaking lane of sorts, with slow drivers obliged to pull in to allow others to overtake. It is extremely dangerous but it is hard to see what can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So long as a driver is paying attention to the road, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So long as a driver is paying attention to the road, what's the problem?
    Exactly, the amount of drivers who feel people shouldn’t be walking on roads at all. I walk my dog on county roads I need to as not to many paths where I am and the amount of drivers who barrel around corners as close to the ditch as possible without even considering that a runner, walker or cyclist might be the far side..I have had abuse from drivers before because I was walking on a particular narrow bendy road..
    Anyone using a hard shoulder as an overtaking lane should have the book thrown at them...imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The only roads you can’t walk on are motorways. It’s the fast moving traffic that’s the problem. Surely it makes sense (if driving) to slow down when passing pedestrians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't get this silliness, there's plenty of people who should be on the road walking from a to b, lit up or with high vis. We may as well shut down any rural bus stops unless someone miraculously has their house right outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you are saying we need to slow the traffic down, and build footpaths? I'd agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lord Nikon wrote:

So basically people are somewhat safer on a footpath right beside fat moving traffic than further back on a wider hard shoulder. Because cars can't mount paths?
    weadick wrote:
    I think there have already been fatalities because of this.

Anything concrete to back that up?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This also shows why we desperately need lots more Greenways, they aren't just for tourists.

We have destroyed our countryside with roads, one off houses and lack of access due to lack of rambling laws, forcing people to walk on roads, where trust me they would much rather not be, but have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭elperello

harr wrote: »
    Exactly, the amount of drivers who feel people shouldn’t be walking on roads at all. I walk my dog on county roads I need to as not to many paths where I am and the amount of drivers who barrel around corners as close to the ditch as possible without even considering that a runner, walker or cyclist might be the far side..I have had abuse from drivers before because I was walking on a particular narrow bendy road..
    Anyone using a hard shoulder as an overtaking lane should have the book thrown at them...imo

I have found that on narrow roads it's best not to stick rigidly to the "walk on the right" rule.
    Coming up to a blind bend I often cross the road keeping a watch for traffic coming up behind me. When I clear the bend I go back to the correct side.
    Also as well as keeping your eyes open listening for traffic can help. Headphones are out of the question in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

elperello wrote: »
    I have found that on narrow roads it's best not to stick rigidly to the "walk on the right" rule.
    Coming up to a blind bend I often cross the road keeping a watch for traffic coming up behind me. When I clear the bend I go back to the correct side.
    Also as well as keeping your eyes open listening for traffic can help. Headphones are out of the question in these situations.
    Definitely on the bad bends I would normally cross the road and I agree on the headphones as well...but some drivers seem so surprised to meet people walking on the roads..I only live about a 10 minute walk outside a village so I don’t always like jumping in the car just to pop up for a litre of milk or to collect kids from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sher nobody ever walked on the roads here until the first blue motorway signs went up....

People driving should drive slowly and safely, because they can kill people. People walking rarely kill people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The road outside my house (OK, the road parallel to the road outside my house...) is a Regional road and its relatively near a motorway junction. Kids walk down it to school in huge volumes ever day

Did you mean rural rather than regional?

People are allowed walk on those too, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was this a driveby by the OP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

weadick wrote: »
    I think there have already been fatalities because of this. It is particularly dangerous in Ireland where the hard shoulder often doubles as an overtaking lane of sorts, with slow drivers obliged to pull in to allow others to overtake. It is extremely dangerous but it is hard to see what can be done about it.

Where did you get that from?

It's only something to be considered if/when safe to do so.

elperello wrote: »

As far as motorists are concerned, you shouldn't be on the road. After all, you haven't passed a "Walking on the road" test, you don't even pay "Road Tax" and your not wearing a helmet! (sound familiar?) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

07Lapierre wrote: »
    As far as motorists are concerned, you shouldn't be on the road. After all, you haven't passed a "Walking on the road" test, you don't even pay "Road Tax" and your not wearing a helmet! (sound familiar?) :D

You forgot to add that they don't hang their PPS number from their neck.

ThisRegard wrote: »

Well its only fair...after all its Road tax that pays for the roads. :P

all they need to do is get people to wear their PPS card from their neck and put some hi-vis strips on it; it's bleedin' HUGE:

193743_54_news_hub_166464_656x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

so given that someone may be living in an area without footpaths, what is your solution? you seem to suggest they should not be walking there.

I never suggested they shouldn't be walking there, I'm merely highlighting the fact that walking/running in these areas is quite dangerous. Is it necessary to walk in dangerous areas, because someone is entitled to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I never suggested they shouldn't be walking there, I'm merely highlighting the fact that walking/running in these areas is quite dangerous. Is it necessary to walk in dangerous areas, because someone is entitled to?
    Saying it's unnecessary sounds pretty similar to "they shouldn't be there" IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If anyone that knows the R157 road near the M3 Parkway Train station, close to Dunboyne(Meath), will notice numerous pedestrians out and about. If you frequent this area during evening rush hour, traffic is heavy and speeding, not excessive speeding but obeying the limit of 80km/h.

There are no houses or schools in this area, just main roads and fields. The town of Dunboyne is close by too, with plenty of pathways, and traffic moving at slower speeds.

I'm quite aware that if the driver is careful, then walking on the side of the road is fine, but accidents happen. Does it sound logical to be walking so close to traffic travelling at high speed? What if someone breaks down, and pulls onto the hardshoulder, where does that force the pedestrians, onto the road of oncoming traffic...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If anyone that knows the R157 road near the M3 Parkway Train station, close to Dunboyne(Meath), will notice numerous pedestrians out and about. If you frequent this area during evening rush hour, traffic is heavy and speeding, not excessive speeding but obeying the limit of 80km/h.

There are no houses or schools in this area, just main roads and fields. The town of Dunboyne is close by too, with plenty of pathways, and traffic moving at slower speeds.

I'm quite aware that if the driver is careful, then walking on the side of the road is fine, but accidents happen. Does it sound logical to be walking so close to traffic travelling at high speed? What if someone breaks down, and pulls onto the hardshoulder, where does that force the pedestrians, onto the road of oncoming traffic...?

Sounds like the speed limit should be lowered to a speed that is safer all these pesky perambulatory pedestrians.

You mean that big massively wide road, with good hard shoulders each side? I was thinking you were talking about narrow little roads from the outset. The R157 from the station to Dunboyne is not at all a bit dangerous to be walking on considering you have a huge hard shoulder both side.

If someone breaks down and pulls into the hard shoulder, I may be stretching credibility a bit here, but pedestrians might be able to walk around the car, and amazingly still stay in the hard shoulder while doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

RotR on the hard shoulder (not motorway) is quite clear:
    If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby.

No mention of obligation. Seems simple.

Do so with due care and attention. Besides, those people walking might be able to assist you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I think there have already been fatalities because of this.
    In addition, there have been zero fatalities because of people walking in the hard shoulder of a regional or national road.

Zero.

There may however have been fatalities because of clowns driving in the hard shoulder without watching where they were going.

jelutong wrote: »
    Could you explain "with slow drivers obliged to pull in to allow others to overtake".

AFAIK, it is legal to pass on the left (on the hard shoulder if necessary) if the car in front is turning right.

HGV drivers, Van drivers and tractors sometimes move into the hard shoulder to allow cars pass easier. The IFA /RSA advise Farmers to do this.

Somewhat apt as every time I've been on the road in question, the R157, I've seen either farm machinery or heavy goods vehicles straddle the hard shoulder. They'd be more of a concern to me if I was walking it than a broken down car.

• Advertisement

Somewhat apt as every time I've been on the road in question, the R157, I've seen either farm machinery or heavy goods vehicles straddle the hard shoulder. They'd be more of a concern to me if I was walking it than a broken down car.

indeed....

"The collision occurred on the N28 Cork /Ringaskiddy Road between the Shannon Park roundabout and Shanbally yesterday at around 1pm"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cyclist-in-her-60s-killed-in-collision-with-tractor-458952.html

Advertisement