Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG49UJ701V - 49 inch Smart TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Manuello

TV scored a disappointing 64% on which.co.uk. Was temped until I saw the review. Still good price though looking at the price history on the same site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've also noticed that there is no way to turn off the "True Cinema" effect which gives a slight Soap Opera effect to watching tv from Sky or Virgin Media etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I've also noticed that there is no way to turn off the "True Cinema" effect which gives a slight Soap Opera effect to watching tv from Sky or Virgin Media etc...

What effect are you referring to? Haven't noticed much.

True motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What effect are you referring to? Haven't noticed much.

True motion?

Soap Opera effect is when the movement of people appears to be faster than should be. https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

I've noticed in football matches that the players will be moving fine and then suddenly move like the tape fast forwards for a second. Really annoying.

I might have cracked the Settings though for colours. I'd be interested in knowing others settings if you'd like to share ?
    I'll post mine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Soap Opera effect is when the movement of people appears to be faster than should be. https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/

I've noticed in football matches that the players will be moving fine and then suddenly move like the tape fast forwards for a second. Really annoying.

I might have cracked the Settings though for colours. I'd be interested in knowing others settings if you'd like to share ?
    I'll post mine tomorrow.

I thought you were returning it did you change your mind? Turning off low power mode is essential. I copied the recommended settings on which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Rmgblue

I purchased and very happy! Glad I found this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Yeah I have a great weekend with the TV tbh no real issues. Its not a top range set so don't expect the kind of performance you'd get from on OLED set.

It is really good for the price and I am very happy, sports look great, games are excellent, the connectivity and built in apps work really well. Screen sharing with my PC/phone is excellent.

Overall very happy with the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Got the 55 inch and impressed with it. In order to get the Freesat working correctly select UK during the setup and enter in a random London postcode. Much better than messing around with the free to air sat method as stations are all sorted and full access to the TV guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

PabD wrote: »
    Got the 55 inch and impressed with it. In order to get the Freesat working correctly select UK during the setup and enter in a random London postcode. Much better than messing around with the free to air sat method as stations are all sorted and full access to the TV guide.

Where and for how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Raisins wrote: »
    Thanks OP!

My current is a 42" and I don't really want to go huge to a 55".

The 43" version is €550. I assume it's exactly the same tv.
    http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/lg-43uj701v-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343183/409.5

The 43" Samsung in the same offers is €689. http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/samsung-ue43mu6100-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv/343498/409.5

Is the Samsung worth the extra does anyone know? They're both 4K HDR. Trying to wade through the jargon. Thanks
    Anyone know if the 43 inch is exactly the same, cant seem to find out if it comes  with the different speakers and remote ??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Anyone know if the 43 inch is exactly the same, cant seem to find out if it comes  with the different speakers and remote ??

Yeah the 701v's are exactly the same. They have the 750 in Harvey Norman but it's about 100 quid more for a better screen. You'll see in store from the bar code. It comes with the speaker and remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Can someone please tell me the colour settings they used for the LG55UJ701 and are happy with? I purchased this TV last week and am a bit disappointed with the picture quality, I was expecting much better. Tried to find settings online for this TV but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Can someone please tell me the colour settings they used for the LG55UJ701 and are happy with? I purchased this TV last week and am a bit disappointed with the picture quality, I was expecting much better. Tried to find settings online for this TV but to no avail.

Got the 49 inch version. Below are what I have settings at

Picture mode : i mess around with this if I am watching a match or something. Usually have it on ECO

Sharpness 50

Colour 60

Black Level - Low

For the price of 599 (Currys) for the 49 inch, i find this TV very good value. Its not top top of the range but v good value. I will be waiting another while before investing in an OLED which will take another while for prices to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Got the 49 inch version. Below are what I have settings at

Picture mode : i mess around with this if I am watching a match or something. Usually have it on ECO

Sharpness 50

Colour 60

Black Level - Low

For the price of 599 (Currys) for the 49 inch, i find this TV very good value. Its not top top of the range but v good value. I will be waiting another while before investing in an OLED which will take another while for prices to drop

Thanks, will try this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

€549 now in Currys, great tv for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

Off topic but maybe someone here can advise -
    Bought a LG 55uj634v 55" today in Curry's for €549. Can anyone recommend the best picture settings for this? Picture seems a bit different from what I'm used to though my old TV was a 42" LG. The standard SD channels on sky box are not great, bit more grainy than on the old one.... Is that because I'm now using a bigger screen.
    The guy in Curry's tried to sell me a Sandstrom gold series hdmi cable for €50 (reduced from €100!) and said it would make a big difference..... Is this true? Or will my normal hdmi cable do the same job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Google or AVForums would be a much better bet than here.

Google or AVForums would be a much better bet than here.

Will do. Some posters here seem very knowledgeable on these things so thought they could advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

R11 wrote: »
    Off topic but maybe someone here can advise -
    Bought a LG 55uj634v 55" today in Curry's for €549. Can anyone recommend the best picture settings for this? Picture seems a bit different from what I'm used to though my old TV was a 42" LG. The standard SD channels on sky box are not great, bit more grainy than on the old one.... Is that because I'm now using a bigger screen.
    The guy in Curry's tried to sell me a Sandstrom gold series hdmi cable for €50 (reduced from €100!) and said it would make a big difference..... Is this true? Or will my normal hdmi cable do the same job?

HDMI cable will make no difference to SD Sky quality. I noticed the same thing after upgrading from 42 to 49, as you say it’s down to the screen being bigger. The HDMI scam is well documented and the margin they can make on them is off the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Currys told me a 4K tv would turn SD sky into 4K by upscaling but I needed to buy a €100 cable to do it. I thanked them and bought the same model in Argos for €5 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When I bought my 4K TV I was told it came with a free 'premium' HDMI cable worth €50. It was a bog-standard Sandstorm, Curry's own brand, and no more premium than one you'd get in Dealz for €1.49.

The song and dance the salesperson made about it though, how it was going to improve the quality of anything it was connected to. On the day I just nodded and smiled weakly, didn't have the heart to get into an argument or call him on it.

Still in a box in a cupboard to this day, with it's €49.99 sticker.

Glad I didn't bother buying that cable now. Delighted with the TV though. Just have to play around with some of the settings now. Does anyone know if I can sideload apps?

Advertisement