Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ophelia Contest: Predict the Highest Gust at a Met Eireann Station

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

I realize Fastnet is out to sea but which direction is it relative to Sherkin? I don't recall seeing reports from there during Darwin. Heard about the 1979 sailing race disaster otherwise wouldn't even have known of its existence before today.

Fastnet Rock (most southerly point of Ireland) is about 10km South West of Sherkin & Lighthouse is 53m above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well what was the highest? and most importantly who won the contest??

and whats the prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The data from Sherkin will be interesting, it went offline just as it was really ramping up.....

84kt was highest at Roches so far, what was interesting was the high gust ratio generally across the country...

Perhaps overall the intensity was approx 10% less than I was expecting but the widespread nature of the event means for me it surpasses the Darwin storm ---will be interesting to see if Sherkin surpassed the high gust from Darwin of 86kt at Shannon Airport...

The high gust from Darwin was 79kts at Shannon, not 86kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

fryup wrote: »
    well what was the highest? and most importantly who won the contest??

and whats the prize?

Sherkin Island data isnt in yet, it would be in the running with Roches Point to win, currently at 84 knots - but if nobody gets it on the nose, no winner anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The high gust from Darwin was 79kts at Shannon, not 86kts.

According to the source from Met Éireann, it was 86kts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104989640&postcount=148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for the info about Fastnet Rock (lazy old geet that I am, sure it's easily googled) ... based on that height of their gust, Sherkin would possibly have edged out the 84 knots at Roches Point, may be a few days before we see anything posted on the website (under past weather, daily data). We may even have to wait for the monthly summary (and on occasion they make mention of places not listed on the website, for example, Waterford airport is not listed, also Donegal and Kerry airports not listed).

As to max gust with Darwin, that is listed at 86 knots in the Feb 2014 Monthly Weather Bulletin available on-line at the met.ie website (under archives, monthly weather summaries).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I still wouldnt rule out Cork airport if it didnt update fully yesterday. Typically breezier than Roches Point and more western.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Just saw on examiner.ie that "The strongest gusts of the day were recorded as 190km/h at Fastnet Lighthouse off the Cork coast."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    According to the source from Met Éireann, it was 86kts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104989640&postcount=148

Apologies, I was going by the METAR.

86kts, no wonder an aircraft was lifted and thrown on its side. Didn't reach those gusts this time around here in Clare.

It would be good it Met added a max and min windspeed to yesterdays weather on the website

Not sure what this means, in fact yesterday's weather does list the strongest gust for each station if it's over 30 knots. So you can just look at the list and see who was highest and if they all reported who was lowest, sometimes a few don't make it but yesterday all reporting made it, Sherkin is still off line.

Maybe you meant something else?

• Advertisement

Sesame wrote: »
    Just saw on examiner.ie that "The strongest gusts of the day were recorded as 190km/h at Fastnet Lighthouse off the Cork coast."

That is true but the contest was for reporting stations on land, Fastnet may not even be part of met.ie at all but if it is, it's like an ocean buoy or the Kinsale energy platform, not part of this contest (in part because it's situated too high off the ground, if they had a 60-metre tower at Roches Point that would have no doubt been stronger than 84 knots).

Surprised Kinsale energy seemed to peak at 70 but I suspect that their instrument exposure to south winds is less open than to west winds, possibly.

Sherkin back on line and there are posted numbers for 16th under daily data but no charts which makes me wonder if they are provisional not including some missing hours. The highest gust is listed as 74 knots.

It may be the end of the month summaries before we'll have a clear indication of their actual highest gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

Entries.

Roche's Point
    79. PAULDRY
    81. DONEGAL STORM
    89. JCX BXC
    89. STOOGE
    92. NACHO LIBRE
    94. THE MILKY PIRATE
    97. MUNSTER LEGEND
    100. LARBRE34
    106. MONSTER1
    107. IRISH STEVE.

Sherkin
    69. FRAXINUS1
    78. ALFA BETA
    87. MRSKINNER
    88. CUL A CNOIC
    91. MTC
    93. LUCERNARIAN
    94. WEATHERCHECK
    99. LUMI
    101. AUTUMNALCORE

Johnstown Castle
    95. UP FOR ANYTHING
    95. FRYUP
    101. RIKAND
    103. SAMARIS
    103. JOHN MAC

Valentia
    94. JFKIRELAND

M3
    94. SWORD1

Dublin airport
    133. JOBS OXO

Kinsale energy
    95. TAZIO
    96. WAZZORAYBELLE
    105. SDANSEO

Cork Airport
    88. RECKLESS ABANDONMENT
    88. BSAL
    90. ROUGIES

WAterford Airport
    82. GAOTH LAIDIR

Casement Airport
    107. PHEREKYDES

Malin Head
    98. BILL66

M.H.
    ? ANDREWMUFC

37 TOTAL. AVERAGE 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

ME reports that the highest gust was 84 kn at Roches Point.

Yes, I notice that Met E have updated the daily report for Sherkin Island for 16 Oct and now it has complete data for the graphs, and continues to give 74 knots as the maximum although a one-hour average of 55 knots in the graphs.

So I guess no data will ever show a higher gust, whether that's actually true or false remains a mystery perhaps, given the speeds reported at Fastnet (at a higher exposure).

Advertisement