Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CouchTo5K for cycling

Options
  • 13-10-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I recently lost a lot of weight (90+ lbs). Still have 50 lbs or so to lose and I am deathly scared of running. I became so unfit while I was heavy that I struggled to walk (since a kid I get terrible shin splints if I walk more than 500m, strangely never got them while I was running) let alone run. I bought a bike recently and have a magnetic trainer on the way from Amazon so I can do my working out at home.

I worry though that I won't follow through with it unless I have a coach or something and I don't have the money for that. I know there are plenty of Couch 2 5k apps around the interwebz, but I wonder if any of you kind people would know if there are any similar apps for cycling? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The NHS did a Couch to 20K for cycling (as part of a triathlon training programme for beginners) and British Cycling have an 8-week couch to 50k programme.

I'm sure there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That British Cycling plan looks good. And time on the turbo can be more effective than on the road if you don't take rests and constantly pedal.

If you didn't mind paying a monthly sub, and you have the appropriate equipment, you could look at the likes of TrainerRoad/ Zwift, but I'd suggest that would be something to look at once you know you're fully into cycling to be honest. At this point, I'd go with the British Cycling Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,050 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How much would an entry level turbo cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mellor wrote: »
    How much would an entry level turbo cost?
    Under a €100 for a wheel on basic magnetic resistance one, plus probably a trainer tyre and a riser block. Halfords cheapest is €85, Aldi had them recently for less I think, so might be worth a look around.

It'd probably be outgrown fairly quickly if someone got into indoor training though tbh. And I think you'd get one fairly cheap second hand or even given away at this stage - indoor training has really moved on to apps and smart trainers.

€264 (minus axa discount) would get you a "wheel on" smart trainer that you could use with TrainerRoad, Zwift, etc. If someone thought they were going to commit to indoor training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

pajopearl wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently lost a lot of weight (90+ lbs). Still have 50 lbs or so to lose and I am deathly scared of running.

With the C25k app there really is nothing to be scared of, honestly.

Its the easiest way you're ever going to get running and losing weight.

In June I was diagnosed type II diabetes. I knew I was over weight, but because I was competitive in my sport (Judo) and very successful on a national level competing at +100kgs I kidded myself that the extra weight was good for my sport, and sure 'hey I'm fit and strong.

Long story short a blood test showed up elevated glucose levels, more tests followed and I was type II diabetes.

I was very luck in so far as I was non symtomatic so diabetes hadn't taken a chuck out of anything.

I'm cutting out loads of the story here.

Doctor, diabetic nurse & all the diabetic team told me I'd one chance at at, lose the weight or face very serious health problems in the future.

I knew from previous experience that running would lose me the weight, but I hated running. I lost the will to live when I thought about running.

So I started a c25k app (Fitness22), and its really, really easy ~ that and a diet (not a calorie deficit diet), of very low carbs, moderate fats and high protein I've lost 30kgs and I'm now fighting in a new (for me) category of -100kgs in two weeks.

After I finished the c25k app I downloaded (from the same developer 'Fitness22) their 5 to 10k app and now I'd think nothing of going out for a 10k jog ~ in fact I could nearly sprint 5km now.

My diabetes has gone into remission, ie my blood glucose have returned to normal. And now I'm considered 'pre diabetic' (I'm predisposed to going back up into type II).

With your weight issues you probably have concerns re. diabetes (and other health matters).

You're thinking about cycling, well I've been cycling over 20 years. My commute is 40km a day but I was still carrying weight.

I'd highly recommend the c25k app from Fitness22.

I know there's other concerns for unfit and overweight people going out running, ie we think people will point and laugh.

Well I can honestly tell you that no one is pointing or laughing at anything, and if they are then you're the better person for actually getting out and doing something about it.

I don't know whether you're a man or woman (male here), but I know women are further complicated (for the want of a better word) by their wobble bits, and boobs ~ feck them, get a properly fitted sports bra and just get out there.. And sure the evenings are dark now, you won't be seen ;) (I kid).

Serious If you want to chat privately feel free to PM me, and sure if you're in my area I'll go out for a jog or two with you at the start so you're not feeling too awkward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement