Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affluent areas of Cork city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Midleton is probably the most affluent town/townland in East Cork and Kinsale the most affluent town within 30 mins of the city but the OP is looking for city centre

Bit of a stretch to say Midleton is anything close to affluent, I worked there for three years when I was younger and its just a bog standard small Irish town with one main street, very rural for somewhere so close to the city. Dont think East or North Cork is too blessed with affluent areas to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

CHealy wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch to say Midleton is anything close to affluent, I worked there for three years when I was younger and its just a bog standard small Irish town with one main street, very rural for somewhere so close to the city. Dont think East or North Cork is too blessed with affluent areas to be honest.
    You would be surprised
    I went to school in Midleton and lived there for 3 years also.
    There is a lot of very rich people in the area - lots of people with a lot of land and big farms in the hinterland - they all use Midleton as their 'hometown'
    I know quiet a few very wealthy people from the area - the don't necessarily live in the town but they live in surrounding areas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Blackrock, Douglas, Ballintemple are the areas you need to look at imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

Visit the link above, zoom in on the area you want to view, then select Pobal Deprivation from the menu on the right and then 2016 by small area to view the relative levels of deprivation/affluence. Its an interesting exercise, if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

You would be surprised
    I went to school in Midleton and lived there for 3 years also.
    There is a lot of very rich people in the area - lots of people with a lot of land and big farms in the hinterland - they all use Midleton as their 'hometown'
    I know quiet a few very wealthy people from the area - the don't necessarily live in the town but they live in surrounding areas

True but I dont think having a few wealthy people in and around the same area equates to being an affluent area. The culture and characteristics of an area have almost as much to do with an area being affluent as the wealth of its people. Midleton might have as many millionaires as Douglas but in reality the two places are worlds apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

Parts of Douglas are affluent and historically it was very affluent but by in large today its just another Ballincollig where the locals cullinary delight is KCs chipper !! Having said all that Douglas is still a good bet for a business, it has a very dense network of housing, just not affluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Midleton might have as many millionaires as Douglas but in reality the two places are worlds apart.

You're right. Middleton has a few really good restaurants and, I'm told, some good pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

SeanSouth wrote: »
    Parts of Douglas are affluent and historically it was very affluent but by in large today its just another Ballincollig where the locals cullinary delight is JCs chipper !! Having said all that Douglas is still a good bet for a business, it has a very dense network of housing, just not affluent.

The name you gave to this 'chipper' sums up your entire post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Parts of Douglas are affluent and historically it was very affluent but by in large today its just another Ballincollig where the locals cullinary delight is JCs chipper !! Having said all that Douglas is still a good bet for a business, it has a very dense network of housing, just not affluent.

To be fair Douglas has the number two ranked restaurant overall in Corks TripAdvisor. It also has by a mile the best Thai food in the city in Golden Elephant. There are another five to ten decent sit down restaurants, depending on your taste. It's not exactly Paris but it has comfortably the best choice of food of any Cork suburb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Blackpool or Ballincollig I think would suit you best, Blackpool is very near the city.

• Advertisement

Douglas may have a few nice restaurants but make no mistake the long long queues on Friday and Saturday night are outside the chipper not the four star eateries. Reminds me of the dole queues from the 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kub wrote: »
    The name you gave to this 'chipper' sums up your entire post

oooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Bit of a wild card but Glanmire might be worth looking at. It's a bit of a mix but there is some very affluent areas in Glanmire. As well as being located to next Glounthane (very affluent area) and near the city. It has it's own shopping centre. The place is growing a lot lately with new supermarkets opening up and new a restaurant (Eco's) and cafe opening recently. In general the place is starting to feel more and more pretentious :P It might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Have a look at the Deprivation Index maps, it plots out all of the all fluent areas across the country including Cork city & suburbs:

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

It has 2016 data, might help you choose a location or verify a location based on where your intended commercial premises will be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Douglas may have a few nice restaurants but make no mistake the long long queues on Friday and Saturday night are outside the chipper not the four star eateries. Reminds me of the dole queues from the 1980s

A 'chipper', perhaps you are on the wrong side of the village.
    If you are referring to KC's then I would encourage you to familiarise yourself with the place, here is the menu http://www.kcandco.ie/menu.html
    Does that look like an average 'chipper' menu ?

Did you know that this establishment has won lots of Bridgestone food awards ?

That is why there are queues outside.

It is no a ' chipper '.

You should try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, I would not discount Bishopstown/Wilton. There is no village atmosphere but try to look as close to Wilton shopping centre.

Personally, I think the market may be a tad saturated. Getting around the southside of Cork is relatively quick due to the south link and for my glasses, I use an opticians in Carragaline due to their knowledge and service (passing Bishopstown and Douglas) and the last time I spent over €400 on my last pair of glasses. There are plenty of good opticians around Cork that cater for the ordinary and the big spenders.

Edit - Can you do without the social welfare customers and the "ordinary" punters?

@ KUB, yes ive been in it, First time 30 years ago, last time two weeks ago. Trust me, its a chipper..........I like Douglas as i do Ballincollig and Mayfield.
    Lots of chippers in all these places:D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Every time I'm in Castlemartyr I stumble into multiple Maseratis for some reason. I've only seen two regularly on the south side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Why?

Simply far better quality and service in Egan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you are referring to KC's then I would encourage you to familiarise yourself with the place, here is the menu http://www.kcandco.ie/menu.html

It is no a ' chipper '.

It does chips and burgers, fast food, therefore it's a chipper.

It's a very good chipper that's won awards, but that's all it is.

What would you call it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

It does chips and burgers, fast food, therefore it's a chipper.

It's a very good chipper that's won awards, but that's all it is.

What would you call it?

An esteemed establishment of culinary delights for affluent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Frostybrew wrote: »
    An esteemed establishment of culinary delights for affluent people.

More tea, Vicar? A crumpet perhaps?

Whats for yaself boss, battered sausage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm not sure you are selling Douglas to anyone by mentioning the local chipper. It's an effing chipper at the end of the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I see Midleton mentioned above and I'm a bit unsure of that. Midleton is fairly well to do, "middle class" Ireland and has a nice selection of business going for it but I don't see "high end designer opticians" fitting in. Now granted I think there is only one independent optician in town (as well as a Specsavers) so maybe there's a gap in the market? In the wider east Cork area though you have some fairly affluent areas that would treat Midleton as their main town.

Closer to the city I agree with many others that Rochestown/Douglas is probably the closest to what you're looking for OP.

What about Glounthaune? Small village but it's well established and there's money out that way... plus easy access from Glanmire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree with you that Midleton is your typical average Irish town but there are wealthy areas in East Cork and yes, North Cork. I think you're working off information that is almost a decade old (guestimating from the way you talk about "when I was younger").

BTW, I have no idea what "very rural for somewhere so close to the city" even means. The town is located rurally? The town itself is rural? I mean... the surrounding area is rural but then you can also drive 5 minutes out of Cork city and its green fields and cattle :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Bit of a wild card but Glanmire might be worth looking at. It's a bit of a mix but there is some very affluent areas in Glanmire. As well as being located to next Glounthane (very affluent area) and near the city. It has it's own shopping centre. The place is growing a lot lately with new supermarkets opening up and new a restaurant (Eco's) and cafe opening recently. In general the place is starting to feel more and more pretentious It might be worth a look

Good shout, although a lad I went to school with who's an optom has opened an opticians in Glanmire, there was already an optician there and he took it over AFAIK. There definitely isn't room for 2 opticians in Glanmire.

Folks talking up KCs to attempt to substantiate the notion that Douglas is affluent says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Augeo wrote: »
    Folks talking up KCs to attempt to substantiate the notion that Douglas is affluent says it all.
    I think the poster was doing the opposite, saying the queues outside KC's were evident of the lack of sophistication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It is no a ' chipper '.

It's a chipper. Put all the bells and whistles on it but it's still a chipper.

Most of the reason for the queues is because it is so small inside.

Advertisement