Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otosclerosis- operation

• 10-10-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hello,
    Has anyone had a Stapedotomy or Stapedectomy here in Ireland from the health service ie not private? I was wondering about public waiting times for the op after being diagnosed.
    I have an appointment next month to see a consultant regarding my hearing but am so fed up right now that I’d love to have an idea how long I’d be waiting for the operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SueBYoughal

I am trying to find a surgeon in a private hospital in the Republic of Ireland who is experienced doing Stapedotomy or stapedectomy operations. Does anyone know of an experienced surgeon in Northern Ireland. Any advice would be useful. My local trust is trying to find a private hospital without success.

Dear Little Bess

I got an appointment for the Stapedectomy in Cork after about 18 months but the surgeon was so negative about my prospects of success he gave me 13 negative outcomes and no positive outcomes. He said I will do your good ear so that you will still have one ear with a hearing aid if it goes wrong! I asked for his success rate and how many operations he had down through Freedom of information. When he found out he referred me for funding for a Private Hospital to do the operation. That was in November 2021 and I am still on the waiting list as no one seems to know where there is a surgeon in private practice in the Republic. I am looking to Northern Ireland to go across the border to get my operation. I will get the money refunded as I have a medical card. Only one problem....I cannot find out if anyone does the operation in either Ireland or N.Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ashlingcoleman

Hi There,

Did you ever get the stapedectomy?

I had appointments with Dr.Hone in the hermitage but they were cancelled by the office several times. Can’t seem to find anyone else in the ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi,

I never got the operation, the consultant in Beaumont said that it wouldn’t give me much benefit as the damage has gone into my cochlear. A stapedectomy would only get me up to the level of hearing aid, which isn’t much at this stage unfortunately.

Good luck 🤞

• Advertisement
Advertisement