Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loot boxes and Micro-transactions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

But man, that loot box opening animation is fecking awesome. I could look at it all day!

don_t_be_impressed_by_the_cool_box_opening__that_s_how_they_get_you.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well with the patent that leaked recently around Activision I'm not suprised
    It's being going this way and only going to get worse
    Conversely, Activison have now set themselves up as the most egregious example of their integration so other companies may be perfectly happy to sit back and let them take **** for it. For instance, despite the initial furore, AC: Origins implementation seems to be completely intrusive and EA have already altered how their system works in Battlefront II.

It'll be interesting to see how Need For Speed: Payback handles them next week. The EP at Ghost Games, gave an interview to Glixel awhile back talking about the whole thing, worth a read in the context of all of this.

If your argument is using Jim Sterling rants to show you are right than you are already fighting a losing battle. I kind of like what Jim does, he takes something that he knows will make the internet angry and then lies and twists the facts to suit his agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

then lies and twists the facts to suit his agenda.

Where has he lied about this?

If your argument is using Jim Sterling rants to show you are right than you are already fighting a losing battle. I kind of like what Jim does, he takes something that he knows will make the internet angry and then lies and twists the facts to suit his agenda.

K
    The battle against boards users grrrr

• Advertisement

Out of interest, why do you trust what he and his "sources" say. At the end of the day, his show is for entertainment purposes, I would be researching what he says rather than blindly believing him (something we should all so for pretty much any source of information anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

In my opinion, if a game has a form of paid loot box/pack that is random chance then it should be an 18s rating with a gambling warning. Like Fifa for example.

Paying for a random chance of something is gambling and games should come with that warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    In my opinion, if a game has a form of paid loot box/pack that is random chance then it should be an 18s rating with a gambling warning. Like Fifa for example.

Paying for a random chance of something is gambling and games should come with that warning.

Intriguing opinion you have here. While ratings don't turn the majority of parents off and I believe more in the responsibility of parents than such ratings, I still get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rossi IRL wrote: »

They should be a big 18+ sign by the Trevi Fountain (€3000 a day thrown in) then, both cases have people wasting money and getting nothing of value back which is why it isn't gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Varik wrote: »
    They should be a big 18+ sign by the Trevi Fountain (€3000 a day thrown in) then, both cases have people wasting money and getting nothing of value back which is why it isn't gambling.

Terrible analogy, I think you need to look up the definition of gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

they are not for me but I have bought ship skins in Elite Dangerous and will probably buy more.

The skins in ED basically fund the game, have never bought anything else in any game and probably wont.

Terrible analogy, I think you need to look up the definition of gambling.

Seems to be the same definition that both the relevant government bodies in the ireland, UK, and most of the world is using.

Is it gambling though? Take Overwatch loot boxes, if I buy them I am guaranteed the loot boxes. Whereas if I bet on a team winning, there is no guarantee that will happen.

Benzino wrote: »
    Is it gambling though? Take Overwatch loot boxes, if I buy them I am guaranteed the loot boxes. Whereas if I bet on a team winning, there is no guarantee that will happen.

You're getting something of the same monetary value in either case ; ie nothing.

You're getting something of the same monetary value in either case ; ie nothing.

The skins may not hold any monetary value for you, but they do for others. Otherwise people wouldn't buy them.

The skins may not hold any monetary value for you, but they do for others. Otherwise people wouldn't buy them.

They can have value, just not monetary value once you get them as you can't cash out.

They can have value, just not monetary value once you get them as you can't cash out.

Sure, I'm not sure what your point is in relation to my original point to be honest.

Sure, I'm not sure what your point is in relation to my original point to be honest.

They don't have monetary value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What about football sticker packs? Are they gambling? They're sold to kids, but you don't know what stickers you're going to get, if you'll get stickers you already have, and they clearly have monetary value as they're usually swapped or traded between kids.

Should they be kept in between the naggins of jemmy and the cigarette machine and only sold to people with ID?

They don't have monetary value.

I know, you've said that already.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    What about football sticker packs? Are they gambling? They're sold to kids, but you don't know what stickers you're going to get, if you'll get stickers you already have, and they clearly have monetary value as they're usually swapped or traded between kids.

Should they be kept in between the naggins of jemmy and the cigarette machine and only sold to people with ID?

At least in that case you actually own something, and they can be sold.

Varik wrote:
    At least in that case you actually own something, and they can be sold.

Is digital content gambling? Sure you know what you are getting but you never own the thing and it can't be sold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

He's made some valid points about the systems in Shadow of War being ruined by micro-transactions.
    The nemesis system means **** all when you can just drop in new orcs willy nilly.
    The whole thing I liked about the first game is that you could get attached to certain orks that you could invest time in through actual game progression.
    They can simply die in seconds in the new game, but here sure open a loot box and get another who gives a ****

Love the comments the dev has made on this crap in video games, I'm surprised at Capcom being the publisher here and standing by the devs

This must be a first

All I hear is political excuses but I thought Joe handled this professionally. TBF They have removed Epic cards from the purchased Lootboxes from what I made of that which is a huge shift in thought process from the Beta
    Speaking out is starting to make a difference if EA reacted like this, the fact Joe is in a position of power when it comes to the gaming community helps

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-09-the-price-and-state-of-star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-crates-at-launch

Blatant scumbaggery here too. So for all their ****e about how the beta was ultimately a tester, it is essentially a pay to win game then? The loot boxes you buy are not just cosmetic and can give you an advantage in a 1v1 fight then?

How in the name of Jayziz did we get to this point? Like can anyone pinpoint the game that brought these systems in and made it acceptable?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not one game that brought it in. They've been gradually pushing these things, after seeing how much money mobile developers have made from them. And at the end of the day, we have only ourselves to blame. People keep buying their games.

Look at any of the "boycots" that have been suggested be gamers over the years to see how fickle the community can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not one game that brought it in. They've been gradually pushing these things, after seeing how much money mobile developers have made from them. And at the end of the day, we have only ourselves to blame. People keep buying their games.

Look at any of the "boycots" that have been suggested be gamers over the years to see how fickle the community can be.

For all the **** that Forza 7 got, at least they did it least damaging. There are loot crates, but you can't buy them with real money yet.
    They could have done it here too, but didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What was most notable about the Battlefront II lootboxes is that the response was so negative it was actually raised as a concern during the recent investor call. This is the kind of sound off that's needed in order to see some meaningful change. You're not going to be able to convince a publicly traded company that they shouldn't include something that matters so much financially, especially when they can point to their peers in the industry who also utilize them with massive success like Take-Two did recently, but if you can point to the implementation of them being so bad that it can actually hurt sales, then you have a chance of accomplishing something.
    Kiith wrote: »
    And this is a major issue. To refer back to the Titanfall 2 thing, the sequel definitely came out at an awful time but it went up against one game which had the most poorly received announcement trailer in history (that'd be Infinite Warfare) and another whose previous entry featured an incredibly poorly received campaign and an utterly broken multiplayer which took ages for it to be fixed (sup, Battlefield 4). Titanfall 2, on the other hand, came out with an incredibly well received campaign and a multiplayer mode which was supplemented not by season passes and paid DLC, but free content designed to not split the userbase.

Now, franchise popularity is never something you can ignore but look at the result of that. The cross platform Titanfall 2 didn't even surpass the sales of its predecessor which only came out on the XBox One, nevermind the utter beating it took from its competition.

• Advertisement

EA just bought Respawn so we could be seeing MT's and paid DLC in the next Titanfall title :(

Advertisement