Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which console for my 7 year old ... if any?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There will always be the playstation snobby hipster kid. Think of it as a life lesson for yer son.

Out hipster the PS kid and get him Pong. If he starts crying just tell him it's a life lesson and he'll appreciate what it has taught him some day…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The question isn't what console. Its what game. Once you identify the games the console you need is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

beauf wrote: »
    The question isn't what console. Its what game. Once you identify the games the console you need is obvious.

It'll be Minecraft or FIFA for most kids that age. That doesn't narrow the choice down at all :pac:

Minecraft, the Lego games, Plants vs Zombies, Overwatch, Skylanders, Stardew Valley, Forza, Fifa… there's more than enough on the the xBox One for kids to play.

The xBox 360 has stopped production since last year so I really can't see the likes of Fifa getting anymore versions beyond this year and even the ones coming out now are severely compromised with loads of modes missing.

The Wii is a great little console but it has been out of production for a while and I don't really see games in the shops for it anymore. I have my one hooked up to one of our TVs and it gets played by the kids maybe once every two or three months - it got a bit of extra play for a weekend recently when I pulled Beatles Rock Band out of the attic. Goes unloved a lot of the time though.

The Xbox one would be what I'd go for - it's the current generation console and will be for a couple of more years at least. He might be 7 now but he is going to get older and will probably want to play the likes of Fifa online with his friends in a couple of years time - the 360 will be useless to him then.

In terms of limiting the amount of time he spends on it - just stick the console in a communal area where you can keep an eye on him playing it - don't let it into his bedroom at all.

I agree with the XBox One for Minecraft longevity. And Multiplayer compatibility
    But the XBOX 360 is ok if you are on a tight budget. But its obsolete now.

Bare in mind for a 7yr old.

Minecraft 7+
    Lego games 3-7
    Plants vs Zombies (Garden warfare) 7+
    Overwatch, 12+
    Skylanders, 10+
    Stardew Valley 10+
    Forza 12+
    Fifa 3+

Mine still play things like mario karts multiplayer on the wii. But again dirt, cheap people are giving them away. Lots of kid friendly titles. But its obsolete.

You get a use Wii and XBox360 for peanuts with a load of games. But year they are old.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It'll be Minecraft or FIFA for most kids that age. That doesn't narrow the choice down at all :pac:

Minecraft is only on the Xbox360 and Xbox One. If your friends have a One you'll need also need a Xbox One to do multiplayer Minecraft with them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Minecraft is only on the Xbox360 and Xbox One. If your friends have a One you'll need also need a Xbox One to do multiplayer Minecraft with them.

Minecraft is on every platform going.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Minecraft is on PlayStation, Xbox and Switch. Along with mobile and PC/Mac.

They are also activating cross platform play in the future.

I stand corrected :) I thought it was xbox only.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

There will always be the playstation snobby hipster kid. Think of it as a life lesson for yer son.
    Out hipster the PS kid and get him Pong. If he starts crying just tell him it's a life lesson and he'll appreciate what it has taught him some day…

Since the PS4 is way more popular than the the Xbox one doesn't that make the xbox owner the hipster? :D

Advertisement