Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do older men have a fear of heart attack when exercising?

Options
  • 09-10-2017 12:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

I'm in my twenties now, and I know that for the last 100 metres of a race I can put in the 100% effort in order to beat other without worrying about whether I might get a heart attack or not. But what's this like for older people?

Does there come a certain age when one shouldn't does this? even if they feel that they can? And how do you know when you've reached this age? It seems strange to think you could commit suicide just by running a race if you wanted! It happened to a cyclist from my town recently who was in his late fifties, and in good shape for his age. He wasn't racing at the time, but apparently he always pushed himself hard, and was always at the front of the cycling group. Anyway, he died leading the group up a hill. I heard something like that he was dead as soon as he hit the ground.

My father's around that age. I often try to encourage him to exercise more, but after him hearing of this, I think he's less inclined to do so. And more recently he discovered he'd a 20% blockage in some artery (which apparently isn't as bad as it sounds). What baffles me is that he considers walking to be exercise. Is that good enough as exercise for a man of his age? Ideally he could be doing some light actual exercise.

When I push myself to the limits, I never think about what my heart actually has to do (& I presume it's well capable of it), but it's kind of scary when you do think about it! I presume it's all down to how much your arteries are blocked. If your arteries aren't blocked you'll be fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

No...no worries..I'm 51...I run regularly and put 200% in sometimes..feel I'm very fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not that I'm aware of, and I know some extremely fit retired people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I don't know how confident someone in their 20s should be about pushing themselves to extremes. Plenty of cases of young people dying suddenly during sports. I'm not sure what causes that so may be way off the mark here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Zipppy wrote: »
    No...no worries..I'm 51...I run regularly and put 200% in sometimes..feel I'm very fit...
    And I'm sure you are. But that's probably what that cyclist would have said too.

It just stuck with me. To think that he dies cycling up a hill and was dead before he hit the ground! I mean I'd love to know the exact reason for it. When I heard about it, my dad said "Did you hear about so and so? he was out cycling and...." "dead?" I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There may have been an underlying heart condition...as has been the case with many young, fit people who have died under similar circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

There are any number of thing s that can cause a fit person to drop dead and any number of those can be heart related.
    An aneurysm in the heart can tear and burst and you'll be dead before you hit the ground.no symptoms no signs your just gone.i personally think everyone over 50 should have a complete heart check up.expensive i know but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I'm in my twenties now, and I know that for the last 100 metres of a race I can put in the 100% effort in order to beat other without worrying about whether I might get a heart attack or not. But what's this like for older people?

Does there come a certain age when one shouldn't does this? even if they feel that they can? And how do you know when you've reached this age? It seems strange to think you could commit suicide just by running a race if you wanted! It happened to a cyclist from my town recently who was in his late fifties, and in good shape for his age. He wasn't racing at the time, but apparently he always pushed himself hard, and was always at the front of the cycling group. Anyway, he died leading the group up a hill. I heard something like that he was dead as soon as he hit the ground.

My father's around that age. I often try to encourage him to exercise more, but after him hearing of this, I think he's less inclined to do so. And more recently he discovered he'd a 20% blockage in some artery (which apparently isn't as bad as it sounds). What baffles me is that he considers walking to be exercise. Is that good enough as exercise for a man of his age? Ideally he could be doing some light actual exercise.

When I push myself to the limits, I never think about what my heart actually has to do (& I presume it's well capable of it), but it's kind of scary when you do think about it! I presume it's all down to how much your arteries are blocked. If your arteries aren't blocked you'll be fine?
    Ive a a range of clients in the 55+ age range and almost NEVER push them that hard in terms of their heart rate.

They just dont need it, most at ALL AGES are quite weak and immobile so SOME cardio while wearing a heart rate monitor (available in Lidl right now) and staying within a good range (65-75% of max which is 220-age) will give them everything they need under low risk conditions.

absolutely zero clients ive worked with get to 50yrs old+ and wish they had worked at a very high intensity in training but all of them look back and wish they were more consistent with their training (most try to cover up their lack of consistency in training and or diet through intensity yet we can all see Mary or Billy is still overweight or fit but fat), ate better and maintained their mobility.

Slap a heart rate monitor on, not all sessions should be performed at a max level and its a mistake to train like that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plenty of young sportspeople have dropped dead of a heart attack. Some in their teens.

Light weights are more important to over 50s men & women than cardio. Thats not to say to rule out cardio altogether

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Zipppy wrote: »
    I used to spend at least an hour cycling every night and a good few hours over the weekend. Pushing myself every km, knowing I can do better.
    My massive heart attack two years ago at 43 years young effectively put an end to my nightly fun.
    Im back to normal now thankfully but now train in a gym with my GTN spray always nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm 56 now and aerobically very fit, cycling 10-12 hours per week on average and doing 250 push ups every week day (struggle at the weekend!). However over the last few years I have deliberately carefully monitored my heart rate while exercising and only push really hard during specific interval training. I've also stopped doing shorter, more intense, races and focus on longer marthon type events. Not sure whether it makes any difference but I was beginning to worry that regular "red lining" was probably not good for my long term health!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Male, 54 yr old and don't really give it much thought tbh. I don't run. My training is comprised of

3 x Strength sessions (basterdised SS) Sat, Mon, Wed
    2 x bootcamp/Metcon type sessions Sun, Thurs

After each of the above I either Spin or Row for 20 - 40 mins. The shorter sessions tend to be HIIT type, the longer are steady or threshold type. Max hr according to my HRM is 172 and at times I would hit this, especially on the rower intervals.

AFAIAC I would rather go quickly from a massive heart attack or brain hemorrhage where I am dead when I hit the ground than to waste away over time in a bed with dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I probably count as old, compared to the OP. I don't fear it anymore than I did when I was young (and was overweight, didn't exercise, smoked etc). Lots of apparently fir young people, unfortunately, drop dead due to underlying issues.

I personally feel I'm in a better place overall, and I would rather die doing something I enjoy like racing, than the fat lump I used to be, eating a deep fried sambo, elvis style!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I probably count as old, compared to the OP. I don't fear it anymore than I did when I was young (and was overweight, didn't exercise, smoked etc). Lots of apparently fir young people, unfortunately, drop dead due to underlying issues.

I personally feel I'm in a better place overall, and I would rather die doing something I enjoy like racing, than the fat lump I used to be, eating a deep fried sambo, elvis style!
    I completely understand the comments re wishing to burn out rather than rust from lack of use but what im working with on a daily basis is clients coming to me that could feel far better if they adjusted the direction of their training rather than putting elevating their heart rate on such a high pedestal and work far more on SOME strength work and far more mobility.

All and every work is made easier with a body thats strong enough and mobile vs a body thats cardio fit but weak and very very stiff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Transform wrote: »
    All and every work is made easier with a body thats strong enough and mobile vs a body thats cardio fit but weak and very very stiff
    I wouldn't doubt this approach, but motivation/ goals have to come into play too? I'm motivated now to work on strength and mobility, because of what I want to do running/ cycling/ triathlon.

If i knew now the importance of mobility/ strength, when I started getting fit, I probably would take that approach. But it started with walking, developed into running, rediscovering cycling and just gradually evolved. I don't think at that walking phase, and beginning to start looking at my diet, I was in the head space to see what I've ended up doing to be honest!

I'm in my forties and only a couple of years away from the age my own father was diagnosed with (a none lifestyle caused) cancer that killed him at 50. Life may already be at the stage that it's too short to be too concerned about the body holding up to long term athletic goals for fear of what over excersion may do!

I honestly dont think its motivation i think the initial decision people make was the only step you knew to make with the info or access you had at that time or what you were comfortable with.

Ive got clients that come with an extensive history and those with zero, just different for each but overall theres a massive issue with the overall approach to 'fitness' as for many there's far too much of a bias towards one aspect of 'fitness' e.g. weights only, cardio only, oh im broken now so yoga/pilates is the answer. The solution is an integrated and individualised approach to training that isnt exercise intensity driven.

Things i know for sure - people will do anything and everything to avoid working on stuff they need the most, they'll look for special diets, drinks and pills before they'll address the stuff thats holding them back, terrible mobility, calories in/out and basic strength are the big three i see daily.

Advertisement