Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private care - is this normal?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

jlm29 wrote: »
    It might not be guaranteed, but if you're unlucky enough to have a third or forth degree tear, or some other complications, if you're private, a consultant will be called to do the repair in theatre. I'd much rather have a consultant do that particular job, than to be a bit of practice for someone else who hasn't done too many...

I had a failure to progress labour baby in distress and an emergency c-section. On a weekend too and the team that delivered my baby did an excellent job. My stitches were meticulously done, healed perfectly and I have the faintest of scars that I could barely see a year on.

I doubt it was a consultant working on me given that it was a Sunday afternoon but the procedure and stitching was expertly done. My baby also had a brief stint in NICU and there also got excellent, expert care while there. I know because my GP requested the NICU file to review it and he confirmed that they covered every medical angle they possibly could think of.

I'm the first to admit that the HSE has it's big failings and I've been very critical of some of the policies that UHG have in relation to ante-natal care, but the staff knowledge and skill that I encountered in all my ante-natal /fertility/ EPU appointments were all positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Neyite wrote: »
    I had a failure to progress labour baby in distress and an emergency c-section. On a weekend too and the team that delivered my baby did an excellent job. My stitches were meticulously done, healed perfectly and I have the faintest of scars that I could barely see a year on.

I doubt it was a consultant working on me given that it was a Sunday afternoon but the procedure and stitching was expertly done. My baby also had a brief stint in NICU and there also got excellent, expert care while there. I know because my GP requested the NICU file to review it and he confirmed that they covered every medical angle they possibly could think of.

I'm the first to admit that the HSE has it's big failings and I've been very critical of some of the policies that UHG have in relation to ante-natal care, but the staff knowledge and skill that I encountered in all my ante-natal /fertility/ EPU appointments were all positive.

that's great! I Think people are all too slow to actually praise the hse when it's warranted, so it's nice to hear. I would be more than happy to have my antenatal care in the public system, I don't think there's much difference (except perhaps the wait times in clinic!).

Funnily enough, if I knew I'd be having a section, I'd be less worried about who would be sewing me up- it's the perineal tears that I'd be more worried about. I've spoken to a women's health physio about this recently, and she would say she sees better outcomes from the repairs done by consultants and senior reg's than other members of staff. TBH, that's enough for me- my down belows are worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Neyite wrote: »

I have to say my limited personal experience with Galway maternity services to date have been appalling. Told I was probably miscarrying and to go home and test again in 2 weeks. The Limerick maternity brought me in to do my bloods to confirm. And this pregnancy when I attended EPU with bad pain in lower side which was constant for days (was told I could go in without appointment) I was told in epu id have to sit and wait until all other patients had been seen first and it would likely be hours before I’d be seen. You could literally be suffering a serious life threatening complication and you’d be left sitting in the waiting room.

Of course the highest profile case was Savita and her care was badly handled. There were many mistakes made, it wasn’t solely down to the 8 amendment. Tests going to wrong departments, results not being followed up on. Her vital signs not being monitored to pick up infection.

Then recently the TB case where they continued to deny that new born babies were exposed and somehow managed to miss the patient was showing symptoms of TB.

Doesn’t inspire confidence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Funnily enough, if I knew I'd be having a section, I'd be less worried about who would be sewing me up- it's the perineal tears that I'd be more worried about. I've spoken to a women's health physio about this recently, and she would say she sees better outcomes from the repairs done by consultants and senior reg's than other members of staff. TBH, that's enough for me- my down belows are worth it!

Definitely-in my experience so far the Senior Reg on duty in the Rotunda does the stitching anyway (shuddering again....I bloody hate it....)....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You'll hear good and bad about every hospital and consultant. I know some who never want to see Holles Street again. I know some who rave about a consultant I'll never let near me. Equally I know women who had awful experiences in the Coombe and Rotunda going public, semi p and private.
    If my experience to date wasn't good I'd look at another hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

shesty wrote: »
    Definitely-in my experience so far the Senior Reg on duty in the Rotunda does the stitching anyway (shuddering again....I bloody hate it....)....

That's a relief! I had my first baby in Holles St and had an episiotomy, but he was delivered by the senior reg so she did the stitching anyway (there was a lot of repairs) and thankfully things healed up perfectly - there's not even a scar. It is something that's worrying me this time around, was wondering if it was just a fluke that it all healed so well.

AFAIK, you can insist that a more senior staff member does your stitching, if it's needed.

In a lot of hospitals apparently it's the senior reg/cons who does third and fourth deg. Tears, but it could be a midwife or someone else on the team who does a smaller tear. I'm not sure, because I've gone private on all mine, and been lucky enough to have my own consultant present for all three deliveries (I like her, she just lets me at it!) I'm sure mostly everyone is fine anyhow, but a friend of mine had an awful time after some dodgy stitches a few years ago, and spent four to five hours sitting in A&E TWICE with a newborn. It put the s**ts up me, TBH!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I have to say my limited personal experience with Galway maternity services to date have been appalling. Told I was probably miscarrying and to go home and test again in 2 weeks. The Limerick maternity brought me in to do my bloods to confirm. And this pregnancy when I attended EPU with bad pain in lower side which was constant for days (was told I could go in without appointment) I was told in epu id have to sit and wait until all other patients had been seen first and it would likely be hours before I’d be seen. You could literally be suffering a serious life threatening complication and you’d be left sitting in the waiting room.

Of course the highest profile case was Savita and her care was badly handled. There were many mistakes made, it wasn’t solely down to the 8 amendment. Tests going to wrong departments, results not being followed up on. Her vital signs not being monitored to pick up infection.

Then recently the TB case where they continued to deny that new born babies were exposed and somehow managed to miss the patient was showing symptoms of TB.

Doesn’t inspire confidence.

Their EPU services are poor, that's true. And I had similar experiences to you each time I went in miscarrying. They don't want to see you when you begin to miscarry. I continue to be baffled at what services they actually do offer in the EPU. But I can see how their hands are tied with the policies that the board and their legal advisers devise. And that likely is tied up in the legislation affecting maternity care too. But I did find that once I was in the ante-natal system, the care was fairly good. Not perfect, but my gripes would be minor enough and nothing that affected my health and my baby's health.

If you've done your research on Limerick and have found no similar issues to the ones you've cited about Galway, then for your own piece of mind you might be happier in Limerick. Either way, you can get into the system in either hospital and switch over if you aren't satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

OK I know its tough when pregnant and not knowing what options to choose so I'll give you my opinion of galway maternity.

I asked a lot of people public or private. The response I received mostly was only huge difference was a private room after delivery (and that's only if one available) . If I was going to end up being a high risk I would be seen regularly by the consultant or by his team.

There is absolutely no privacy in the waiting area. I know when I went in for the 12 week scan I was trying to keep my head down so that I wouldn't be seen. Of course that didn't happen meet two girls I know the joys of Galway. There was complete confusion on all patients faces unless you had been there previously. No signs for what desk to check in to or when you check in what the process for the first visit would follow...anyhow after the check in, blood pressure, weight ,family history etc. myself and oh meet Dr Nicky (Nikhil Purandare) had a mini scan and went through family history chart . I was deemed a low risk so I had the option of drs clinics or midwife clinics. I choose the doughiska midwife clinic which was brilliant and fast never waited more than 10 mins for appointment. My sister however is a public patient but a high risk she has to attend the drs clinic in uchg. I can't get over how many appointments and scans she is getting shes due in a few weeks. Now I know she always doesn't see the consultant but on all of the visits he is contacted by phone or in person if she wants anything answered in particular or if she wants to see him. Only thing I heard her give out about is thee waiting times. Hope that give you an idea of low and high risk public patients.

Labour. I went 6 days over when I went into labour. Went into maternity medical assessment unit where they were concerned about the babies heartbeat. Went straight to the delivery suite to be monitored. Two midwife with me for most of the time, Dr called in to review me straight away to monitor the situation. Long story short had about 7 hours of constant monitoring by midwife's, head of the department and senior registar. A few procedures had to be done which were not the norm. Before I went into labour I was nervous about who would be looking at my lady parts they soon disappeared at one stage there was 10 people crowded between my legs
    ... Lots of discussions and preparation for emergency section.. The end result was rush delivery with forseps and episitomy. My baby was absolutely perfect and my stitches were sewn up by the registrar. I could not say one bad word about the staff or about how I was cared for. I know my chart was reviewed at a meeting the next day to go through the events. The senior registrar came to tell me when she checked my stitches. She was absolutely lovely , so calm cool and collected during the delivery.

4. Post birth
    I shared a 6 bed ward. 4 beds occupied at all times. All other patients were lovely, we kinda kept to ourselves. The nursing staff were amazing. I was so well looked after no pressure for discharge. Was having a hard time breastfeeding and they gave me so much help and support.

Overall I was a public patient , I couldn't justify spending the private fee when I knew I would more than likely get the same treatment. If I was going to be a high risk patient I would have been seen by one consultant and/or his team. I was pleasantly surprised with my experience in uchg, my only issue was lack of privacy and one cranky nurse but she was outweighed by at least 30 lovely nurses.

I kinda went off point but wanted to reassure you that if you choose to go public the service you will get isn't always as bad as people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

We had 2 kids in galway , private , both combined gp , cons. 1st was complicated and we saw the consultant weekly for 15 weeks til birth , 2nd was straightforward and saw the gp every second trip. But always felt if there was any risk the cons visits would be ramped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It might not be guaranteed, but if you're unlucky enough to have a third or forth degree tear, or some other complications, if you're private, a consultant will be called to do the repair in theatre. I'd much rather have a consultant do that particular job, than to be a bit of practice for someone else who hasn't done too many...

If anything goes wrong during a delivery the best heads available in the hospital will show up . Consultants will even call in other consultants for advice if needs be. If there's an experienced leading midwife there the consultants will also engage them in decision making. Public or private makes no difference when it comes to the actual birth /delivery, particularly if there's complications.

IMHO ( have 4 grown up kids and 4 grandchildren) having experienced both 'systems', Private care is totally overpriced and over-rated. High risk or low risk it doesn't really matter, if you need to see a consultant then you'll see one.

If anything goes wrong during a delivery the best heads available in the hospital will show up . Consultants will even call in other consultants for advice if needs be. If there's an experienced leading midwife there the consultants will also engage them in decision making. Public or private makes no difference when it comes to the actual birth /delivery, particularly if there's complications.

IMHO ( have 4 grown up kids and 4 grandchildren) having experienced both 'systems', Private care is totally overpriced and over-rated. High risk or low risk it doesn't really matter, if you need to see a consultant then you'll see one.

I know that complications during delivery mean that a consultant will be called. But a perineal tear wouldn't be classed as a complication. I also had to go to theatre for another procedure post delivery, and was glad to have a consultant do it. If I had been public, it would have been another doctor, and I just preferred to have a consultant, particularly for the stitches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

In a lot of hospitals apparently it's the senior reg/cons who does third and fourth deg. Tears

Really?I've only had second degree on both mine and a doctor has specifically come in to do them.Midwife only attended the births (happened to be the way they went) but they didn't attempt to do stitches afterwards.Had to wait for the reg to come both times.I didn't mind, never waited long and gave me a longer chance to relax in the delivery with the baby.

I have to say I mostly agree with this.I think people like the level of reassurance they get from seeing the same consultant and having them to hand all through a pregnancy but I don't think it makes that much of a difference at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am in dublin. Had second degree tear on my first and midwife stitched me. I was doing domino scheme. A few hairy moments during labour and a doctor was called not a consultant.
    Second baby we went private. First degree tear and consultant stitched me. Consultant was kept on the loop at every stage of labour. No problems as at all during labour.

OP if it were me I would just pay the money and go private. Having done both in a Dublin there is no way I would go anything other than private again.

Really?I've only had second degree on both mine and a doctor has specifically come in to do them.Midwife only attended the births (happened to be the way they went) but they didn't attempt to do stitches afterwards.Had to wait for the reg to come both times.I didn't mind, never waited long and gave me a longer chance to relax in the delivery with the baby.

Apparently so- I suppose it depends on the hospital, and its individual policy though. I have no personal experience of it myself- ive only ever had the consultant do mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I have to say all this talk of tears and stiches is making me reconsider again. Meeting a different consultant in the in the next couple of weeks and will run my concerns by her. Maybe we can meet in the middle by attending the hospital for visits in between visits with her. I’m mostly concerned about only seeing gp in between and the lack of availability of scans at appointments that would result from that.

Having a consultant sewing me up instead of a midwife might swing the decision for me!!

Every penny of private care was worth it. Ended up with two sections and having my consultant who'd seen me in every visit taking care of me before and after the surgery, and delivering my children, was worth it.
    It's four years ago but I found the public system hit and miss. If I couldn't afford it I'd have sucked it up. But having had what was a normal pregnancy develop into something slightly more complicated I wouldn't have been happy with the lack of continuity of care I felt the public system involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Toasty toes you might be glad of happy the odd gp appointment instead of having to go to hospital for appointments.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I have to say all this talk of tears and stiches is making me reconsider again. Meeting a different consultant in the in the next couple of weeks and will run my concerns by her. Maybe we can meet in the middle by attending the hospital for visits in between visits with her. I’m mostly concerned about only seeing gp in between and the lack of availability of scans at appointments that would result from that.

Having a consultant sewing me up instead of a midwife might swing the decision for me!!

Sorry!!! i should not be transferring my issues regarding tears and stitches to other people!!

• Advertisement

We can probably all safely say that we have issues with that aspect of things!

We can probably all safely say that we have issues with that aspect of things!

I know, but on my first, it genuinely didn't occur to me to even be thinking about it. I don't think when I was pregnant with him, that I realised what was to come!

I know, but on my first, it genuinely didn't occur to me to even be thinking about it. I don't think when I was pregnant with him, that I realised what was to come!
    If any first timer asks me for advice I tell them to make sure whoever is doing stitches knows what they're doing and to feel free to request only a consultant or experienced person do them regardless of what level of care they opt for. I know more than one woman left in an awful state because an inexperienced person did their stitches and they didn't know they could ask for someone better.
    My other advice is to feel free to ask for someone else if you think the midwife/nurse/consultant is being unhelpful or rude. You don't have to put up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

can you really do this? am worried about the stitching now! Going public in CUMH

also to add someone told me when going private the consultant in question doesn't actually do the vaginal stitching in CUMH??

jadie wrote: »
    can you really do this? am worried about the stitching now! Going public in CUMH

Yes! You can do it with all aspects of healthcare- I.e. Ask to wait and see consultant/someone else if in a public medical clinic. Within reason- they're not going to call a consultant to come in on a Sunday to deliver your baby, unless there's an indication. You can ask for a more senior doctor or midwife though. It depends largely on your personality as to whether or not you will be facilitated- I.e.- I tend to be easily fobbed off, and I wouldn't necessarily be great to stand my ground in some situations, especially if I'm wrecked after pushing a baby out!!!
    No experience of CUMH, but I know several ppl who've had their babies there and had no issues with public care

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

jadie wrote: »
    also to add someone told me when going private the consultant in question doesn't actually do the vaginal stitching in CUMH??

Was with Louise Kenny and she delivered my baby and stitched my first degree tear. When you go private you are told that there is no guarantee that your consultant will attend the birth, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Yes! You can do it with all aspects of healthcare- I.e. Ask to wait and see consultant/someone else if in a public medical clinic. Within reason- they're not going to call a consultant to come in on a Sunday to deliver your baby, unless there's an indication. You can ask for a more senior doctor or midwife though. It depends largely on your personality as to whether or not you will be facilitated- I.e.- I tend to be easily fobbed off, and I wouldn't necessarily be great to stand my ground in some situations, especially if I'm wrecked after pushing a baby out!!!
    No experience of CUMH, but I know several ppl who've had their babies there and had no issues with public care

My wife went through the domino scheme in cork. Very positive experience. Constant contact with the mid wives, waiting 1/2 hour at most in the public clinics to be seen for check up spots. Went to baby scan in ballincollig for assurance scans about 4 times. Went to Dr McKenna for anomaly scan ( not friendly at all). As our gp said 'think what you could do with 3,500 euro". I know ones are gonna say but what happens if something goes wrong? Public system is just as good. I feel there is a pressure to go privately.

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Was with Louise Kenny and she delivered my baby and stitched my first degree tear. When you go private you are told that there is no guarantee that your consultant will attend the birth, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?

No somebody told me even when consultant delivers they wouldn't be doing the stitching. This is going back a few years though.

• Advertisement

physioman wrote: »
    My wife went through the domino scheme in cork. Very positive experience. Constant contact with the mid wives, waiting 1/2 hour at most in the public clinics to be seen for check up spots. Went to baby scan in ballincollig for assurance scans about 4 times. Went to Dr McKenna for anomaly scan ( not friendly at all). As our gp said 'think what you could do with 3,500 euro". I know ones are gonna say but what happens if something goes wrong? Public system is just as good. I feel there is a pressure to go privately.
    Thanks, I would like to do the domino scheme but there is a few things they have to monitor so unlikely that I'll be able to. My GP also told me that private was a waste if time and the consultant only cuts the cord. Would be great if there was a semi-private option. I went for an anomaly scan in MD Clinic in Blackpool just recently.In the meantime CUMH has also called me for the scan

Advertisement