Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MATCH THREAD: Leinster vs Munster, Aviva Sat 07th 14:00, SS Main & Arena

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

Id be thinking of starting JJ next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Kick it out and take the BP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Gave them a fright ;)

Poor game. Leinster never got out of second gear. Munster toothless.

Neither team going far in Europe playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Well done Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

better team won congrats leinster

munster need a big improvement for the next 2 weeks in Europe as do Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A few crucial referee decisions would have turned the game, but Munster made too many mistakes

Poor game. Leinster never got out of second gear. Munster toothless.

Neither team going far in Europe playing like this.

Earls showed his teeth a few times...our big game is next week but this was a good warm up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Another bit of a brainfart at the end there... Marshall tapping and going... we'd have been better off kicking for touch and getting further up the pitch. Poor game, poor atmosphere, early season fare. Sexton's quality was the deciding factor for me, he moved us around the pitch more, asked more questions. Don't think the ref helped our cause with some of his decisions, particularly those two mauls pulled down. Leinster by 6 is about right though, better team today - well done

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Earls showed his teeth a few times...our big game is next week but this was a good warm up

Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That was a good win for Leinster. It wasn't a big win by any means. It wasn't a very convincing encounter for both teams in this game. At least Leinster got away with the win which makes me a happy man. ROL did very well in this game today for scoring 2 tries. Well done to Leinster for winning today.

I also hear Munster got a losing bonus point in this game. It was better than nothing for them I'd suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Felt Leinster left a few scores out there.

Job done though I suppose. Munster were very poor.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Another bit of a brainfart at the end there... Marshall tapping and going... we'd have been better off kicking for touch and getting further up the pitch. Poor game, poor atmosphere, early season fare. Sexton's quality was the deciding factor for me, he moved us around the pitch more, asked more questions. Don't think the ref helped our cause with some of his decisions, particularly those two mauls pulled down. Leinster by 6 is about right though, better team today - well done

Clock was red by then i think. He did go too fast though, should have had waited for support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

leakyboots wrote: »
    Another bit of a brainfart at the end there... Marshall tapping and going... we'd have been better off kicking for touch and getting further up the pitch.
    I'd call it brain dead more like

Ok maybe Munster won't going to score from a linout near halfway, but a much much better chance than shoveling sh*t near your own line.
    I hope he got a good tongue lashing after the match

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mundane game. Got the impression both sets of players accepted the result after an hour and it all went very flat.

Leinster were worth their win but lack any real class in attack outside Sexton. Heaslip is massively missed.

Munster were very disjointed. I'd expect them to win next week without a huge amount of fuss but they won't threaten any big team in a knock out game. Real lack of bite in their front five.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Clock was red by then i think. He did go too fast though, should have had waited for support
    Doesn't matter anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Law changed so that penalties kicked to touch after the clock goes dead now result in line outs. It was a pretty bad mistake really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Law changed so that penalties kicked to touch after the clock goes dead now result in line outs. It was a pretty bad mistake really.

100% right.

I'm grateful for the LBP but we didn't deserve it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What happened with the conversion for earls' try at the end? I didn't see a conversion kick at all, did they cameramen miss it or something? I assume JJ took it and missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

mystic86 wrote: »
    What happened with the conversion for earls' try at the end? I didn't see a conversion kick at all, did they cameramen miss it or something? I assume JJ took it and missed.

Quick drop kick was mentionned in commentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

mystic86 wrote: »

quick dropgoal attempt incase there was something wrong in the build up

kuang1 wrote:
    I'm grateful for the LBP but we didn't deserve it today.

I don't think Leinster left any scores behind but Munster were perhaps fortunate by virtue of the first two tries being gift wrapped.

They won't have many games where they only have 38% territory and get a point.

Sexton was quality. Few dodgy kicks here and there but ran the show. I think Keatley panicked on a few occasions today. Just didn't play well.

No, it was to get the game started and try to get a winning score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think Leinster left any scores behind but Munster were perhaps fortunate by virtue of the first two tries being gift wrapped.

They won't have many games where they only have 38% territory and get a point.

Yeah that's exactly my viewpoint too.
    Despite the relative lack of competition at the breakdown, it was the Leinster forwards (and the Leinster bench forwards) that had the upper hand throughout the game.

Furlong is an absolute beast. Even with my red shirt on he's awesome to watch.

Not too disappointed, I am a bit worried about our lack of depth at lock right now... could be costly over the next few weeks

Or maybe because there was only 90 seconds left...... nothing wrong with the try ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sexton good, Earls good, everyone else average or worse, two average sides, a poor atmosphere, a poor ref....lots of improvement needed but I think both sides are still quite far away when it comes to Europe.

Play-offs in Pro14 and quarter-finals in Europe looks the limit

Actually quite surprised Munster got a bonus point considering their general poor play, numerous errors and huge penalty count against them...but then again Leinster weren't much better.

Overall a slightly depressing afternoon for Irish rugby

Thought VdF was quality as well. Was always in the face of Munster's first receiver, putting them under pressure.

Adam Byrne has this fantastic ability to beat a tackler through footwork alone. He's also strong enough to keep his feet after being tackled and make more metres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Very good displays from Furlong, Fardy and VDF upfront. Carbery had a good game too (got bamboozled by Earls for the non-try though).

Earls looked electric, Conway was good and after that, I'm not sure what happened Munster. POM was very quiet, Stander too and there was just a general lack of intensity. Need Kleyn back asap and I've no idea who they should play at 10 next week.

Should have done the same thing after that first disallowed try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Should have done the same thing after that first disallowed try

Connacht did that last week, Bundee took a quick conversion to avoid it being checked. Owens brought it back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I think that just highlights the quality difference between Nigel and the rest

Disappointed in the backrow battle. Felt Munster's never fired a shot. Stander and PoM very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not sure about Early looking electric. I think he's limited, turning into a bit of a McFadden, good hard runner, not going to beat anyone with footwork, steps inside too often, repeatedly. Maybe I'm being harsh as I've never been a fan. Byrne's defending against him for the breakaway try was abysmal. Carvery pointed and showed him what to do and he still couldn't do it, awful decision making in defence continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Had nothing to do with the buildup. There was a minute on the clock and they needed another try so no point taking 45 seconds over a potentially meaningless conversion.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not sure about Early looking electric. I think he's limited, turning into a bit of a McFadden, good hard runner, not going to beat anyone with footwork, steps inside too often, repeatedly. Maybe I'm being harsh as I've never been a fan. Byrne's defending against him for the breakaway try was abysmal. Carvery pointed and showed him what to do and he still couldn't do it, awful decision making in defence continues.

Anything good in attack today came from earls, he was unlucky not to get a brace. Of the four wingers on show he was easily the best in my opinion. Byrne is good in the air and strong, but his defense is a total liability. Barry Daly had a quite outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Anything good in attack today came from earls, he was unlucky not to get a brace. Of the four wingers on show he was easily the best in my opinion. Byrne is good in the air and strong, but his defense is a total liability. Barry Daly had a quite outing.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but it doesn't put him in the "on fire" category.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Atmosphere was dreadful looking forward to going back to the rds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Byrne's defending against him for the breakaway try was abysmal. Carvery pointed and showed him what to do and he still couldn't do it, awful decision making in defence continues.

That was painful to watch. I'd say Earls couldn't believe his luck.

I thought Byrne was solid enough overall but that was a howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

A bit of a ho-hum game. Leinster pack on top and the Leinster outside backs won the aerial battle. Munster looked shorn of attacking ideas, outside of give the ball to Earls. JJ hype train still being serviced by the look of things. Mechanic is apparently some guy named Madigan, who knows a thing or two about such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭A-Train

Match was decent compared to some of the previous outings. Both teams a lot to work on before next week.

The one thing I will say and have seen it said before on here, the music Leinster are coming out to this season is god awful stuff.

I liked the idea of three playmakers in the backline but it didn't work out for Munster. They looked short of ideas today. They were on the back foot though I suppose. The pack was beaten up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Just read about Peter O Mahony interview with Reggie. Sorry if you have covered it already lads.
    Sounds like a petty reaction by O Mahony. He was just being asked I feel he thought his team played their best. He apply took ‘grave offence’ as a Munster man and an Irish man.
    What an ego. Take your beating like a man Peter.

• Advertisement

Just read about Peter O Mahony interview with Reggie. Sorry if you have covered it already lads.
    Sounds like a petty reaction by O Mahony. He was just being asked I feel he thought his team played their best. He apply took ‘grave offence’ as a Munster man and an Irish man.
    What an ego. Take your beating like a man Peter.

He had no issue with the loss...just the way Reggie was trolling him

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Reggie was being an @rse. He answered and kept asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Or just asking him a question. It’s like ‘HOW DARE YOU’....

Or just asking him a question. It’s like ‘HOW DARE YOU’....

No, Reggie was being unprofessional, he'll probably get a bit of a going over for this, and rightly so

It was a stupid question. It didn't need to be asked. POM was right to take offence.

The truth is, neither side gave it 100%. A blind man could see that. But you don't insult the captain of the losing side by asking that just after the game.

Corrigan was a spiky enough Leinster captain himself a decade ago. He should have more cop on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement