Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Control in the US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes I agree it would be very difficult. But I really think that the manufacturers are getting away scott free on this. What attempts have they made to make the product safer? Car companies show incredible innovation when forced to make changes. Surely they must carry some burden with dealing with the correct use of the products they are sold?
    3D Printers allow anyone to make guns. Ammo is where it's at. Ammo is not so easy to do by yourself, especially for the mass produced capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Apparently, the shooter used up to150 rounds.

Anyone that claims that handgun or knife could anything like the same amount of damage, and let's not forget terror which is a word oddly absent from any remarks on this or other shootings, is flat out lying.

And I think that is deliberate. Terror is a major factor in these events. Simply listen to the students, look at the videos of the event taking place. Terror pure and simple. The War on Terror my arse.

I really cant understand how sane, empathetic people, can put their own selfish enjoyment over the lives of children. One can of course argue that it won't make any difference banning these weapons or putting in draconian procedures to massively limit their availability, but what is the negative to trying it out. Ban them for 10 years. See what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheTravelLife

I can’t get the quotes to work right so to whomever wrote this: “Oh believe me, for me it went way beyond something to be mocked when America was faced with a reality of little children being massacred in schools. . . and they did aboslutely not a damn thing about it. Nothing. I have to say, the obtuseness towards this makes my blood boil --- here we are talking about wildly unlikely theories about future dystopias while innocent Americans live with the very real and quite likely reality that schools etc will continue to be attacked by madmen who have been able to acquire weaponry allowing for relatively easy mass murder. Yet Americans are more about conspiracy theories rather than current reality. It is utterly repugnant and, for me, I have spent time 'understanding' the gun-loving side of American society --- but 'understanding' only gets society so far. Action is what drives progress.

I have very little sympathy for any historical angst which Americans may feel about past wars, most of which never reached their shores. Many countries in the developed world have experienced war, and we don't use it as some kind of adolescent cry that 'nobody understands me'.

The time for 'understanding' has been and gone. We all understand it now and we all still think it's dangerously stupid.”

Scoff all you like but if you’re ever going to convince an American to give up their guns, their culture and history is going to need to be addressed. To say “look how we do things. We are smart and you are dumb, so do it like we do it” and think you’ll be met with anything less than a “piss off” for a response is not only naive but arrogant. You say you took time to “understand” them but you clearly failed. My last post was simply to add what I have learned since moving to America to marry an American, gun owning man. Perhaps I was out of turn posting under his account in the first place but never the less my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Perhaps it's because we have seen what happens in countries where the government can act without fear of its citizens.

Pardon me for my cynicism but this is the absolute definition of the US right now. Your lawmakers have so much contempt right now for the average citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

People have been dying, day in and day out, in places like Chicago at higher rates than war zones, for years. Where has your outrage been then? The majority dying at the hands of gangs and the like, using illegally procured guns.

The harsh reality is that spectacular attacks like Orlando, Las Vegas et al, account for less than 1% of the deaths every year. The things I've proposed, investing more in mental health care, policing, education etc, would go a lot further at reducing the 30,000 odd deaths a year, than your exhortations to ban those evil black rifles.

Doesn't make for a catchy headline, but then good legislation often doesn't.

Gangland violence is undoubtedly a scourge. But as I have said before, the American gun problem is seemingly so delicate and extensive that it is going to take incremental steps to address it. So a good place to start would be to take sensible steps to create a safer regulatory environment for innocent Americans, its schoolchildren above all, to be able to live out their everyday lives with relative confidence that they won't come under attack by a nutjob armed to the teeth with weaponry that renders a deranged 19 year old capable of easily killing a dozen people within minutes.

Staying with the Chicago example, whether the guns are legally or illegally procured, the fact remains that a black market of weaponry can operate with much greater ease in a country awash with guns at the civilian level. Tighter gun control throughout the United States would quite simply make it much more difficult for gangs to get their hands on guns. I had a read of this academic study which provides statistical evidence that over 60% of guns used in gangland shootings in Chicago were originally bought in another state, mainly neighbouring states with weaker gun laws like Wisconsin and Indiana (http://home.uchicago.edu/ludwigj/papers/JCrimLC%202015%20Guns%20in%20Chicago.pdf). So even where particular states have relatively tighter gun laws, the lack of consistency across the nation and a unified approach can render those laws somewhat meaningless.

Mental health / education / policing initiatives all sound good, but they are all just dancing around the key issue rather than addressing it head on. It's like having a massive hole in the side of your house but lighting a big fire and turning on a few electric heaters to keep yourself warm --- rather than just repair the wall. I fear from reading your posts and listening to other pro-gun advocates however that many Americans are now so utterly lost in their obsession with guns that they will do more to protect the right of some random guy to needlessly own a stockpile of machine guns and ammunition then they will do to protect the right of their children to feel safe in their schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

In all honesty ..... When I think of ****hole countries at this moment its not gonna be a country on the African continent that springs to mind ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not familiar at the moment with gun legislation around the world and what countries have the same or similar rules on firearms as the United States. I'm trying to be open to the idea that the problem is a lot more complex one which could be easily resolved with repealing the second amendment.

However, there seems to be an appalling amount of antipathy among some gun owners and enthusiasts towards their fellow citizens. Thoughts and prayers cost nothing whatsoever so that makes them the go to response to mass shootings. The Americans are a sovereign people. They can have whatever government, constitution and society they want but the fact that they can't even have a proper debate about gun laws and the second amendment because of their collective irrational paranoia about big government taking their stuff, home defence or all of their rights being taken away if the second is repealed exemplifies a big part of what's wrong with US society.

Australia had this problem and introduced anti-firearm leglisation which seems to have solved it. Unfortunately, the avarice and sheer selfishness of many gun owners and the NRA twinned with how little they care about or even possibly despise their fellow citizens means that this problem doesn't look like it will be solved.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's funny how pro active the so called conservatives can be in response to a terror attack:demanding immediate action,changes to laws,flight ban lists drawn up,walls to be built and jibes at liberal,level headed calls for measured responses.however an actual attack from one of their own and the solution is prayers and wishy washy/vague solutions like more gun education-the very sort of reponses they mock liberal or left leaning supporters of giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

dudara wrote: »
    Pardon me for my cynicism but this is the absolute definition of the US right now. Your lawmakers have so much contempt right now for the average citizen.

I don't disagree at all. Democracy is a thing of the past in the US, I fear.

I'm not familiar at the moment with gun legislation around the world and what countries have the same or similar rules on firearms as the United States. I'm trying to be open to the idea that the problem is a lot more complex one which could be easily resolved with repealing the second amendment.

However, there seems to be an appalling amount of antipathy among some gun owners and enthusiasts towards their fellow citizens. Thoughts and prayers cost nothing whatsoever so that makes them the go to response to mass shootings. The Americans are a sovereign people. They can have whatever government, constitution and society they want but the fact that they can't even have a proper debate about gun laws and the second amendment because of their collective irrational paranoia about big government taking their stuff, home defence or all of their rights being taken away if the second is repealed exemplifies a big part of what's wrong with US society.

Australia had this problem and introduced anti-firearm leglisation which seems to have solved it. Unfortunately, the avarice and sheer selfishness of many gun owners and the NRA twinned with how little they care about or even possibly despise their fellow citizens means that this problem doesn't look like it will be solved.

It didn't solve the violent crime problem, at all. In the same way that the previous Assault Weapons ban did nothing to solve the violent crime problem in the US.

I'm here, having a debate with one and all. I've offered ideas which would work at solving root issues, of violence in society etc. I don't accept the argument that I am being selfish because I own a gun, because it has potential to be used destructively against other people.

• Advertisement

Gangland violence is undoubtedly a scourge. But as I have said before, the American gun problem is seemingly so delicate and extensive that it is going to take incremental steps to address it. So a good place to start would be to take sensible steps to create a safer regulatory environment for innocent Americans, its schoolchildren above all, to be able to live out their everyday lives with relative confidence that they won't come under attack by a nutjob armed to the teeth with weaponry that renders a deranged 19 year old capable of easily killing a dozen people within minutes.

Staying with the Chicago example, whether the guns are legally or illegally procured, the fact remains that a black market of weaponry can operate with much greater ease in a country awash with guns at the civilian level. Tighter gun control throughout the United States would quite simply make it much more difficult for gangs to get their hands on guns. I had a read of this academic study which provides statistical evidence that over 60% of guns used in gangland shootings in Chicago were originally bought in another state, mainly neighbouring states with weaker gun laws like Wisconsin and Indiana (http://home.uchicago.edu/ludwigj/papers/JCrimLC%202015%20Guns%20in%20Chicago.pdf). So even where particular states have relatively tighter gun laws, the lack of consistency across the nation and a unified approach can render those laws somewhat meaningless.

Mental health / education / policing initiatives all sound good, but they are all just dancing around the key issue rather than addressing it head on. It's like having a massive hole in the side of your house but lighting a big fire and turning on a few electric heaters to keep yourself warm --- rather than just repair the wall. I fear from reading your posts and listening to other pro-gun advocates however that many Americans are now so utterly lost in their obsession with guns that they will do more to protect the right of some random guy to needlessly own a stockpile of machine guns and ammunition then they will do to protect the right of their children to feel safe in their schools.

I would argue that you have it backwards. The fundamental issue that needs addressing is why are people killing themselves and others. Guns are just a tool, not agents of influence.

With respect, you and others in this thread come across as obsessed with guns, to the point that there is no option acceptable beyond ban all guns.

The argument around this topic is a mirror of the one around abortion tbh, usually with the sides reversed. The anti abortion side tries to push "common sense" laws that aim to gradually chip away at the fundamental right to access said procedure.

Apparently, the shooter used up to150 rounds.

Anyone that claims that handgun or knife could anything like the same amount of damage, and let's not forget terror which is a word oddly absent from any remarks on this or other shootings, is flat out lying.

Chris Rock in his latest stand up mentions an imaginary case of 100 people getting shot dead and that if 100 people were stabbed to death then probably 97 people deserved to die. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I would argue that you have it backwards. The fundamental issue that needs addressing is why are people killing themselves and others. Guns are just a tool, not agents of influence.

With respect, you and others in this thread come across as obsessed with guns, to the point that there is no option acceptable beyond ban all guns.

The argument around this topic is a mirror of the one around abortion tbh, usually with the sides reversed. The anti abortion side tries to push "common sense" laws that aim to gradually chip away at the fundamental right to access said procedure.

And like I have said before, by all means promote better understanding of mental health, but until you unlock the magical formula which will cure America of its propensity for producing mass murderers, then you have to drastically limit the ability of said mass murderers to getting access to these weapons.

As for being obsessed with guns, and to the claim that I see no acceptable option beyond banning all guns, well even when I tried to test out your views on a compromise you remained implacable. It's not a question of whether you are selfish in owning a gun, it is a question of why you need that gun and whether it is reasonable and proportionate that you need anything other than a small handgun for that purpose. If someone breaks into my house now and I feel compelled to arm myself, is say a Beretta M9 not sufficient ? Do I really need to also have in the bedside gun rack an MPA 9mm, a S&W 500, an AK pistol with a 75 drum, a Mossberg 590 Shotgun, a Bushmaster AR-15 and let's say a Thompson SMG for a bit of WW2 nostalgia? The answer of course is no.

This is the first step in addressing America's gun issue -- understanding the concept of proportionality when it comes to weaponry which allows you, if it takes your fancy, to easily wipe out an entire classroom of kids in a matter of seconds. So no, it is not selfish for you to own a gun, but what is selfish is implacably standing by and encouraging the mass and easy proliferation of weaponry which people bloody well don't need -- all while thousands of Americans, including innocent children, will be gunned down by Christmas this year by weapons which should never have been allowed to fall so easily into the hands of the perpetrators.

It didn't solve the violent crime problem, at all. In the same way that the previous Assault Weapons ban did nothing to solve the violent crime problem in the US.

I'm here, having a debate with one and all. I've offered ideas which would work at solving root issues, of violence in society etc. I don't accept the argument that I am being selfish because I own a gun, because it has potential to be used destructively against other people.

Maybe not violent crime, but it certainly had an immediate and lasting effect on the occurrence of mass shooting events.

What it didn't do is see any noticeable increase in violent crime, which would appear to suggest that taking away guns from the majority of the population did not result in a massive crime spree and an increase in home invasions. And isn't that one of the stated reasons why people 'need' these types of guns?

So they achieved a benefit and lost nothing. Seems like a winner to me.

Of course you don't accept that, any more than I would accept that the things I like to do are selfish. And there is nothing wrong with being selfish, per se, once it doesn't impact on others.

However, the insistence that NRA members etc have that guns should be available to the vast majority and not be controlled is asking for trouble. And not some theoretical idea of trouble, the evidence is in the many dead people that should still be living productive lives in the US but were shot down.

The evidence is in the terror inflicted on the lives of so many. The evidence is that this problem seems to be getting worse despite the continued calls for nothing to be done.

You have stated a number of times why you, and others want these weapons, but haven' shown any reasons why you need them. You have provided the usual list of hunting, target practice and home defense yet have shown nothing to back up these claims. In fact, most evidence seems to counter the arguments.

Why are the NRA so scared of allowing proper research into this area? They have successfully lobbied that no research be undertaken.

And like I have said before, by all means promote better understanding of mental health, but until you unlock the magical formula which will cure America of its propensity for producing mass murderers, then you have to drastically limit the ability of said mass murderers to getting access to these weapons.

As for being obsessed with guns, and to the claim that I see no acceptable option beyond banning all guns, well even when I tried to test out your views on a compromise you remained implacable. It's not a question of whether you are selfish in owning a gun, it is a question of why you need that gun and whether it is reasonable and proportionate that you need anything other than a small handgun for that purpose. If someone breaks into my house now and I feel compelled to arm myself, is say a Beretta M9 not sufficient ? Do I really need to also have in the bedside gun rack an MPA 9mm, a S&W 500, an AK pistol with a 75 drum, a Mossberg 590 Shotgun, a Bushmaster AR-15 and let's say a Thompson SMG for a bit of WW2 nostalgia? The answer of course is no.

This is the first step in addressing America's -- understanding the concept of proportionality when it comes to weaponry which allows you, if it takes your fancy, to easily wipe out an entire classroom of kids in a matter of seconds. So no, it is not selfish for you to own a gun, but what is selfish is implacably standing by and encouraging the mass and easy proliferation of weaponry which people bloody well don't need -- all while thousands of Americans, including innocent children, will be gunned down by Christmas this year by weapons which should never have been allowed to fall so easily into the hands of the perpetrators.

Your proposal would do nothing to decrease the availability of guns for criminals.

I have only two hands, so it doesn't really matter what number of guns I own, I would only be able to use one at a time. What's a proportional level of shooting someone? If I'm trying to shoot a person threatening my family, I'm going to do so with the aim (pardon the pun) of killing them. Is it somehow more acceptable to you if I do that with a pistol rather than a rifle?

Your proposal would do nothing to decrease the availability of guns for criminals.

I have only two hands, so it doesn't really matter what number of guns I own, I would only be able to use one at a time. What's a proportional level of shooting someone? If I'm trying to shoot a person threatening my family, I'm going to do so with the aim (pardon the pun) of killing them. Is it somehow more acceptable to you if I do that with a pistol rather than a rifle?

You are back to this all or nothing argument. Because we can't erradicate all violence then nothing should be done. But you haven't been able to show any correlation between the number of guns, and type, and a reduction in crime. In fact, given the statistics out of America is would appear to be the other way around.

You second paragraph can just as easily be used in the opposite way. Since you have only pair of hands why would anybody need more than one weapon? And as for protection, you have consistently argued that handguns and rifles can be just as powerful so, again, why the need for these types of weapons?

Maybe not violent crime, but it certainly had an immediate and lasting effect on the occurrence of mass shooting events.

What it didn't do is see any noticeable increase in violent crime, which would appear to suggest that taking away guns from the majority of the population did not result in a massive crime spree and an increase in home invasions. And isn't that one of the stated reasons why people 'need' these types of guns?

So they achieved a benefit and lost nothing. Seems like a winner to me.

So it didn't really do much of anything then? Criminals still have access to guns, murders still happening, overall death rate remaining consistent. Spree killings reduced perhaps, but overall not much impact. Winning?
    Of course you don't accept that, any more than I would accept that the things I like to do are selfish. And there is nothing wrong with being selfish, per se, once it doesn't impact on others.

However, the insistence that NRA members etc have that guns should be available to the vast majority and not be controlled is asking for trouble. And not some theoretical idea of trouble, the evidence is in the many dead people that should still be living productive lives in the US but were shot down.

The evidence is in the terror inflicted on the lives of so many. The evidence is that this problem seems to be getting worse despite the continued calls for nothing to be done.

You have stated a number of times why you, and others want these weapons, but haven' shown any reasons why you need them. You have provided the usual list of hunting, target practice and home defense yet have shown nothing to back up these claims. In fact, most evidence seems to counter the arguments.

Why are the NRA so scared of allowing proper research into this area? They have successfully lobbied that no research be undertaken.

You claim I haven't shown any acceptable reason for owning a gun, but's your opinion. Hunting, target shooting, personal defense, those are valid in my eyes. I don't speak for the NRA, I'm not a member, and their views are not the sole opinion on firearms. You don't like guns, fair enough, you don't have to. I don't like a lot of the ideas expressed by groups in society, but that's on me. At the end of the day, those are protected rights and one has to respect that.

You are back to this all or nothing argument. Because we can't erradicate all violence then nothing should be done. But you haven't been able to show any correlation between the number of guns, and type, and a reduction in crime. In fact, given the statistics out of America is would appear to be the other way around.

I have expressed, repeatedly, ideas that could be implemented to reduce deaths. Banning rifles because you are scared of them is an example of doing nothing while trying to appear to be doing something. The Assault Weapons ban is a great example of just this. Lots of fanfare about how it would help reduce violent crime etc, ends doing shag all.
    You second paragraph can just as easily be used in the opposite way. Since you have only pair of hands why would anybody need more than one weapon? And as for protection, you have consistently argued that handguns and rifles can be just as powerful so, again, why the need for these types of weapons?

Well, perhaps I like to shoot fowl, so I own a shotgun. I also like to hunt deer, so I own a rifle. I also want to be able to protect myself while out in public, so I own a pistol. All perfectly valid reasons for owning firearms.

So it didn't really do much of anything then? Criminals still have access to guns, murders still happening, overall death rate remaining consistent. Spree killings reduced perhaps, but overall not much impact. Winning?

You can't really believe this can you? You don't think a reduction in mass killings is worth it?

You claim I haven't shown any acceptable reason for owning a gun, but's your opinion. Hunting, target shooting, personal defense, those are valid in my eyes. I don't speak for the NRA, I'm not a member, and their views are not the sole opinion on firearms. You don't like guns, fair enough, you don't have to. I don't like a lot of the ideas expressed by groups in society, but that's on me. At the end of the day, those are protected rights and one has to respect that.

And you are entitled to your opinion just as I am. But since we already know the negative consequences of having so many guns, you really should need more than "I want them" as a basis for giving any person access to killing machines.

I have never said I don't like guns, it is irrelevant whether I do or not. What I don't agree with is why everyday people require military grade weapons. I do understand the desire to have a gun for protection. But it should be to stop your own death and get away from an attacked, not launch an assault.

They are protected rights, as of now, and they are not unending rights as you yourself have accepted. Felons, domestic violence, etc are all removed from this right.

It is an amendment, and as the name implies, it can be amended. You don't want to as you like playing with guns, but the cost of that is seen in the terrible death toll and the terror across the country.

I have expressed, repeatedly, ideas that could be implemented to reduce deaths. Banning rifles because you are scared of them is an example of doing nothing while trying to appear to be doing something. The Assault Weapons ban is a great example of just this. Lots of fanfare about how it would help reduce violent crime etc, ends doing shag all.

Why do you insist on trying to make this personal? You have no idea what my feelings in regards to guns are. We are talking about availability of them.

Well, perhaps I like to shoot fowl, so I own a shotgun. I also like to hunt deer, so I own a rifle. I also want to be able to protect myself while out in public, so I own a pistol. All perfectly valid reasons for owning firearms.

Totally agree. And I have never said otherwise. None of them require a semi-auto with a large magazine.

• Advertisement

Why do you insist on trying to make this personal? You have no idea what my feelings in regards to guns are. We are talking about availability of them.

I am based my opinion on what you have expressed in this thread. You may not have explicitly stated you want to ban all guns, but your views allude to that, at least they do to me.

Totally agree. And I have never said otherwise. None of them require a semi-auto with a large magazine.

What does it matter if they are semi auto or not (which they all could be, for what it's worth)? A murder is a murder is a murder, regardless of the mechanism.

You can't really believe this can you? You don't think a reduction in mass killings is worth it?

And you are entitled to your opinion just as I am. But since we already know the negative consequences of having so many guns, you really should need more than "I want them" as a basis for giving any person access to killing machines.

My goal would be to reduce deaths period. Banning guns doesn't accomplish that, as has been demonstrated repeatedly. Far more people die every year from vehicular accidents. Why should your selfish desire to move quickly get in the way of preventing these tragic deaths. Why do you need to move about quickly? I want to ban these killing machines.
    I have never said I don't like guns, it is irrelevant whether I do or not. What I don't agree with is why everyday people require military grade weapons. I do understand the desire to have a gun for protection. But it should be to stop your own death and get away from an attacked, not launch an assault.

It's incredibly difficult to acquire military grade weapons in the US, which means ones capable of full-automatic fire. You are conflating cosmetic appearance with capability. An AR pattern rifle is no more lethal than a Ruger Mini-14, even tho they look markedly different.
    They are protected rights, as of now, and they are not unending rights as you yourself have accepted. Felons, domestic violence, etc are all removed from this right.

It is an amendment, and as the name implies, it can be amended. You don't want to as you like playing with guns, but the cost of that is seen in the terrible death toll and the terror across the country.

Perhaps someday it will be amended, but the consensus in the US is in favor of the 2nd. If such a change occurs and an Amendment is passed, so be it. That's democracy.

I am based my opinion on what you have expressed in this thread. You may not have explicitly stated you want to ban all guns, but your views allude to that, at least they do to me.

I may not explicitly said it? Is that another way of saying you just made it up? You have recently said that I am scared of guns and want all guns banned. I neither said that or even believe that. But it makes you feel happier, I suppose, to pain me as some gun hating lefty weirdo as then you can simply dismiss my arguments

What does it matter if they are semi auto or not (which they all could be, for what it's worth)? A murder is a murder is a murder, regardless of the mechanism.

150 rounds were fired at the school shooting. Now, as you seem to believe that I have no idea of guns, maybe you can explain the timing difference in firing this number of rounds between a handgun, shotgun and a AR-15?

And again, if as you are implying that there is no difference, then again what is the point. Surely your handgun is more than enough to quell and invasion?

My goal would be to reduce deaths period. Banning guns doesn't accomplish that, as has been demonstrated repeatedly. Far more people die every year from vehicular accidents. Why should your selfish desire to move quickly get in the way of preventing these tragic deaths. Why do you need to move about quickly? I want to ban these killing machines.

This old chestnut. Simply, vehicles are not made with the sole purpose of killing. It is a side effect and one that has tried to be legislated against. Speed limits, driving tests, drink and drug driving, parking fines etc. Vehicles are being constantly updated with improved safety features, both for those inside but also outside.

It's incredibly difficult to acquire military grade weapons in the US, which means ones capable of full-automatic fire. You are conflating cosmetic appearance with capability. An AR pattern rifle is no more lethal than a Ruger Mini-14, even tho they look markedly different.

Bump stocks? You do remember that Las Vegas wasn't that long ago don't you?

Perhaps someday it will be amended, but the consensus in the US is in favor of the 2nd. If such a change occurs and an Amendment is passed, so be it. That's democracy.

Perhaps some day. Do you know the level of people want additional gun control? The polls indicate a vast majority. And if the NRA and people are so confident that people want 2nd amendment, why not put it to a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

American culture is just fooked at every level.

Guns are not the problem the people are.

Fixing the culture will take a very very long time. So the only way to solve this problem immediately is to remove the guns.

But because the culture is fooked they wont even consider removing guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

. What I don't agree with is why everyday people require military grade weapons. y.

Don't forget that the AR platform is now more than 50 years old, which moves it into a historical arms cathogery in the US.
    This changes the restrictions on purchase somewhat.

I may not explicitly said it? Is that another way of saying you just made it up? You have recently said that I am scared of guns and want all guns banned. I neither said that or even believe that. But it makes you feel happier, I suppose, to pain me as some gun hating lefty weirdo as then you can simply dismiss my arguments

You make arguments stating you want to ban certain types of guns. Asking why people should be allowed to have them, specifically semi auto type. That accounts for all handguns, the majority of rifles and a large number of shotguns. So yes, I would stand by my view that you wish to see all guns banned.

150 rounds were fired at the school shooting. Now, as you seem to believe that I have no idea of guns, maybe you can explain the timing difference in firing this number of rounds between a handgun, shotgun and a AR-15?

And again, if as you are implying that there is no difference, then again what is the point. Surely your handgun is more than enough to quell and invasion?

Not as significant as you seem to believe it to be. I can reload a pistol or rifle in a couple of secs, a shotgun somewhat more slowly. Neither would present much of a barrier to a prepared and determined shooter.
    This old chestnut. Simply, vehicles are not made with the sole purpose of killing. It is a side effect and one that has tried to be legislated against. Speed limits, driving tests, drink and drug driving, parking fines etc. Vehicles are being constantly updated with improved safety features, both for those inside but also outside.

Guns are made with the simple purpose of expelling a projectile. What they are used for is up to the individual. All those measures you've listed, and yet there are hundreds of thousands of deaths (in the US) annually. Ban cars now! It's the only logical solution to this carnage.

A recent anachronism, which will be removed soon I hope.
    Perhaps some day. Do you know the level of people want additional gun control? The polls indicate a vast majority. And if the NRA and people are so confident that people want 2nd amendment, why not put it to a vote.

The mechanisms are pretty straightforward for enacting an Amendment, if rather difficult. If it happens, it happens. I'm not holding my breath.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't forget that the AR platform is now more than 50 years old, which moves it into a historical arms cathogery in the US.
    This changes the restrictions on purchase somewhat.

It doesn't, at all. Select fire weapons are restricted by the NFA and requires an onerous process to acquire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Define one, and the exact purpose of the law prohibiting it. It's a tricky problem, which the ATF realised they could not tackle when they considered them a few years ago. The 'bump stock bans' which have been passed in a couple of states to much fanfare do no such thing despite the claims that they do so, by the definitions in the law. They say things like 'modify the rate of fire of the weapon', which bump stocks don't do. They are not going to survive the first time someone with charged with one challenges it in court (Well, the law will survive, but the applicability to the devices won't).
    But I really think that the manufacturers are getting away scott free on this. What attempts have they made to make the product safer? Car companies show incredible innovation when forced to make changes. Surely they must carry some burden with dealing with the correct use of the products they are sold?

Firearms are generally safer than they were previously. There are, I believe, four internal safety mechanisms in my SIG, all designed to ensure that the weapon does not discharge unless the trigger is deliberately pulled. (So no firing if I accidentally drop it on the hammer, no slamfiring, etc). Some come with chamber loaded indicators to help those who are too stupid to follow the basic rule of firearm safety. Quality control has increased to reduce the likelihood of the Dreaded KaBoom. Ergonomics have increased to reduce the chances of mishandling. I am, however, at a loss to think of any burden borne by any other product manufacturer to protect against deliberate mis-use of the car, knife, airplane, etc.
    So would a proper licensing system that requires passing a basic safety test. Even soldiers have to pass a test before they get a live gun don't they?

Well, sortof. It's a proficiency test, one of many, that a soldier has to be able to pass before being considered combat-worthy (we say 'deployable'), to include first aid and land navigation. Basically to ensure that they can do their job. However, evidence seems to indicate that even without the test and training, murderers/mass shooters seem to be proficient enough already.

Here's a chart of weapon used by mass-shooting.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

Note the prevalence of handguns. ARs are getting the recent press, but, just as with criminal activity, the handguns are the most "dangerous." To answer the question on 'how long to fire 150 rounds", the practical difference in a close environment between a semi-auto rifle and a semi-auto pistol is basically zero, and is limited more by the ability to find targets than to pull the trigger.

"Pistol" is a Czech word, it is very ingrained in the local culture. The Czech Republic is what is in the US considered a "Shall-issue state". There is no discretion, if you meet minimum requirements (basic safety test, are healthy, and have no criminal record), the police must issue you a license. (That includes you, from the EU, or me from a NATO country). That license allows you to carry a semi-automatic handgun concealed, and the list of places that handgun can be carried is a bit broader than in the US. There are no 'gun free zones', and you can legally bring your handgun to a school, bar, etc.

Yet, there are no particular problems resulting from the prevalence of people carrying handguns in the Czech republic. Thus we can infer that (1) Allowing handguns but denying rifles will not result in a particular reduction in mass shootings, and (2) allowing handguns need not result in mass shootings in the first place. Is focusing on the rifle going to achieve anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Are you saying the anti-gun folks are the ones obsessed with guns?

Advertisement