Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in the US - best solution

Options
  • 06-10-2017 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I'm heading to the US for 3 weeks next week. I have the most basic plan with Meteor / Eir at home as I don't make a lot of calls and am on wifi most of the time.

Over the next few weeks I will probably a lot more data for directions and so on, but I've also heard making calls can be outrageously expensive over there so I'm thinking maybe I can buy a local SIM card which would be more cost effective.

Any advice on the best possible solution would be much appreciated?

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Have a read of this thread..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057647938

Also for directions download HERE maps app for iOS and Android it uses GPS no data required it’s an excellent Sat nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭sioda

As a user of the 3 sim can't but recommend it. It sits happily in the second sim slot on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/t-mobile-tourist-sim-activation-kit

I've used this on trips to the US. It's only 2GB of data, and you'll need an unlocked phone, but it has been enough for me while there. Would be a good idea to download the maps of the area on Google Maps before you're out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Same with the 3 sim. Just back from 2 weeks in the states and it was flawless and by far the cheapest solution I've ever used going over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to Mobiles as its not a bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

If you order a 3 UK sim card you can choose a top up plan and use your data allowance (up to 9GB) in USA

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

Thanks guys - the 3 mobile one looks perfect - I've checked out buying from Amazon, 7 day shop and mymemory - the only problem is that expected delivery seems to be 11th or 12th of October and I'm travelling on the 12th so not sure if it will arive on time :confused:

I don't suppose it's possible to get one of these from 3 in Dublin?

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

onekeano wrote: »
    Thanks guys - the 3 mobile one looks perfect - I've checked out buying from Amazon, 7 day shop and mymemory - the only problem is that expected delivery seems to be 11th or 12th of October and I'm travelling on the 12th so not sure if it will arive on time :confused:

I don't suppose it's possible to get one of these from 3 in Dublin?

Roy

Try using Parcel Motel. Think I got mine in about 4 days. Alternative is going to Newery and buying in a 3 store there.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

If you mostly have WiFi while is the US, Eir have WiFi calling. This means you can switch roaming off and your phone will work 100% on WiFi including calls and texts as if you were at home. No roaming charges. You just need a phone that supports the WiFi calling feature (iPhone 5 upwards, Samsung Galaxy S6 upwards etc. )

Advertisement