Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three (UK) Mobile preloaded 3GB Data

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Is it valid for 90 days from the time you buy it or from the time you first put it into a device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

ciano1 wrote: »
    Is it valid for 90 days from the time you buy it or from the time you first put it into a device?

Valid from when you first put in device. I got the 12 gb, as seems great value as it is valid for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Valid from when you first put in device. I got the 12 gb, as seems great value as it is valid for 12 months.

Correct, valid from the activation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 festesio

ciano1 wrote: »

How do we select the 12gb yearly option may i ask please?

festesio wrote: »
    How do we select the 12gb yearly option may i ask please?

This is one example:
    https://www.7dayshop.com/products/new-3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-preloaded-with-12gb-of-data-three-sizes-WH2-35203

See second point in Product Features.

You can find it from number of sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is thetering supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Is thetering supported?

It's a "broadband / data" sim so you put it in a mifi, router, dongle etc. Of course if you wanted to put it in a phone you could tether too.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

That's great, thanks for that, three Ireland are €5 per mb in data charges in the USA, I can bang one these in now.

M

Nibs05 wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for that, three Ireland are €5 per mb in data charges in the USA, I can bang one these in now.

So 12GB with Three IRL in US would cost €60k instead of £25 with this deal, crazy crazy prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Great find OP :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

So 12GB with Three IRL in US would cost €60k instead of £25 with this deal, crazy crazy prices they charge.

I contacted three Ireland regarding this, they said the bill will be capped at €50,
    So basically I get 10mb before I get cut and not able to do anything.

£25 with 12gb for 12 months seems a good deal.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I got one of the 12gb ones a while back, but could never get the data working. When I log into the 3.co.uk account I can see the SIM is active, allowance expires late July 2017, and there is 12gb of data there, but I cannot get data to work for some reason :(

I'm going to the US in a few weeks so would really like this to work.

M

5starpool wrote: »
    I got one of the 12gb ones a while back, but could never get the data working. When I log into the 3.co.uk account I can see the SIM is active, allowance expires late July 2017, and there is 12gb of data there, but I cannot get data to work for some reason :(

I'm going to the US in a few weeks so would really like this to work.

Make sure you have data roaming turned on with your phone, if your using the phone in Ireland it will need roaming active as it's a UK SIM card.

Make sure you have data roaming turned on with your phone, if your using the phone in Ireland it will need roaming active as it's a UK SIM card.

Ya, I have. Everything on the account is right, and the phone allows roaming. I have a dual sim phone (one plus 2) but can't connect. On to support now to see if they can help, but he has only told me what I know so far.

Turns out this is a broadband only SIM, and cannot be used in a phone, only in a dongle, etc. The 3GB one might be better, but be sure of what you are buying if you go for the 12gb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Turns out this is a broadband only SIM, and cannot be used in a phone, only in a dongle, etc. The 3GB one might be better, but be sure of what you are buying if you go for the 12gb one.

It is broadband only but its not restricted to dongle, i can be put in phone and used as internet device.

12 gig of internet for 25 quid with 12 months expiry. Whats not to like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I call into the first Walmart or Best Buy when in the states and get a 30day voice/data sim for around $28, it's guaranteed coverage and I just pop into my phone and away I go, great for coupon apps in the shops

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

It is broadband only but its not restricted to dongle, i can be put in phone and used as internet device.

12 gig of internet for 25 quid with 12 months expiry. Whats not to like?

Well it isn't working for me in my phone. I've ordered a free three UK phone sIM online anyhow (pay for parcel motel delivery) so I'll top that up instead and try that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Does the 12 gig work in phone or no guys? have plenty of travel coming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-preloaded-with-12gb-data-22-99-mymemory-2483384

Seems you can use it in your phone but for data only. No calls & no texts. Tethering is allowed apparently.

Alternative use it in a tablet, dongle or portable hotspot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Great. how would we top it up as irish customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

newwan wrote: »
    Great. how would we top it up as irish customers?

http://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/three

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    My Three UK SIM (voice and data) was blocked from use outside the UK as I'd used it twice over 60 days without it connecting to the home network in between.... Something to bear in mind if you are thinking of topping it up. Can only use it now in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Can the 12GB one be used to make SKYPE calls (or other "data" calls such as Whatsapp)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'm travelling to India in a couple of weeks, would this work there?

EDIT: NM, checked and it wont :(

Can the 12GB one be used to make SKYPE calls (or other "data" calls such as Whatsapp)?

Yes. I am using voice calls over WhatsApp all the time.

newwan wrote: »
    Does the 12 gig work in phone or no guys? have plenty of travel coming up...

It works on the phone but only as a data sim. I am using it in a dual sim phone. Actually I am replying this using the data sim :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

slave1 wrote: »
    I call into the first Walmart or Best Buy when in the states and get a 30day voice/data sim for around $28, it's guaranteed coverage and I just pop into my phone and away I go, great for coupon apps in the shops

On AT&T you have to:
    - Buy Sim for $10
    - $25 for 2GB of data

All excluding tax, so about $40 for 2gb data.

Ordering a Three data sim for £25 with 12GB of data, having it delivered to Ireland, set it up in the comfort of your own home, work right off the plan in US and no need to go looking for a walmart/bestbuy. Oh and it will continue to work for a whole year, in case you happen to travel to other countries in the 12 months, seems much easier and much better value for money to me.

I combine one of these Three data sims, plus the free call/text roaming of Lyca when travelling to the US. Yes, this requires two phones (old one works fine) or a dual sim phone,but still very straight forward and easy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Only thing is Three know when your streaming abroad and they hammer it, so its quiet slow.
    But for browsing etc its fine.
    I had mine in france during the summer setup as a hotspot and worked great for backing up photos and browsing on other devices.
    And you only get 3G abroad.

• Advertisement

coldfire1x wrote: »
    It works on the phone but only as a data sim. I am using it in a dual sim phone. Actually I am replying this using the data sim :)

Mine didn't. I am using a dual sim phone too (one plus two) with all roaming on, data set to that sim and the setting sin the 3 account all allow roaming, but was told it can't be used in a phone after contacting support, although they usually know fúck all in reality. When I turn the SIM on I can see it gets a signal, but have never been able to get data working on it, whether I connect it manually to a 3 Ireland network or else select auto connect.

Advertisement