Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Not Fair

Options
  • 04-10-2017 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

The FTTH line stops 130 metres away from my house, Eir wouldn't connect me because I am outside the commercially viable area, They wouldn't agree that I pay for the cost of connection, parts and labour, but they can give me a broadband with speed of up to 3 mbps, I had that service before and the maximum speed is 1.7 mbps.
    The biggest thing I can't understand is they will charge me 55 Euro a month for 12 months and then 70 Euro a month afterwards, same money they charge someone 500 times my speed, it is like a car dealer who sells bicycles and Rolls Royce at the same price.

I had contract with them, I left it more than 12 months ago and joined sky, for 55 Euro, you get TV broadband and landline for the first 12 months, then they go higher.
    Now I am on mobile broadband, not great but much better than 1.7 mbps

I think all people who are "left behind" like myself should cancel their contract with Eir, and get mobile broadband if they have cover, if you need a landline you can get VOIP, I have one and it works fine and it is very affordable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Speed != Cost. Basically they arent connected. Think of broadband as waste removal not cars. If the truck has to pick up your bin you pay, even if its empty as the truck visiting your house is the cost.

You're in the national broadband plan now. The Govt will subsidize connecting you between 2019-22 ish. In the meantime look at wireless providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

ED E wrote: »

Think of broadband as waste removal
    That is true

Both are rubbish

Explain this to me then:

Extreme broadband, Unlimited Mobile & UK calls
    eir Fibre Extreme unlimited up to 150Mb
    Online price €35 per month for 6 months*
    eir Fibre Extreme unlimited up to 300Mb
    Online price€43 per month for 6 months*
    eir Fibre Extreme unlimited up to 1,000Mb
    Online price €55 per month for 6 months*
    https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

It explains itself.

If 55 = 1000 then 18Mb per Euro.
    So the 15Mb package should cost €8.33 per month...but it doesnt.

The cost is having the link, not how fast it is. You can look at it as €30/mo standing charge and €5/mo for your 150Mb.

I bought outdoor antenna for mobile broadband. it doubled my speed, it is available in ebay and amazon, the only catch is the cables are 5 metres, but if you buy longer cables the signal degrades as length increases.

It's name is

3G/4G LTE Outdoor Antenna for D-Link DWR / DWR-118 / DWR-921 DWR-952 / DWR-953

• Advertisement

It explains itself.

If 55 = 1000 then 18Mb per Euro.
    So the 15Mb package should cost €8.33 per month...but it doesnt.

The cost is having the link, not how fast it is. You can look at it as €30/mo standing charge and €5/mo for your 150Mb.
    OOOKKKK

MMaannn

Last week I was trying my luck, so I ordered fast broadband in eir website, the following day I received an email saying that the engineer will come to install standalone landline on 16/10/2017. down in the email it says if you ordered fibre it will be installed later.
    I didn't make any sense to me as the link I clicked was for FTTH. so I contacted their customer support in eir community and 1901, in fairness to them they are good.

The funny thing is: I got this reply from one of their agents "I've checked the broadband availability for you. I can see that maximum speed of 2Mb is available. Currently, it is unavailable. I apologise for the inconvenience caused."

If there is no broadband in that line, why did they issue an account number and contract giving the fact that I applied for broadband and they can't give me broadband.

It is like:

You go online and you order pizza, they don't have pizza so the send you dog food.

Either they don't know what they are selling or they are trying to get money from people by inappropriate means.

One is worst than the other

Counter intuitively for an ISP never order anything via their site, always call. The site just generates emails for their sales people to lose.

Counter intuitively for an ISP never order anything via their site, always call. The site just generates emails for their sales people to lose.
    I don't know much about technology, but their machine or whatever they have there knew I couldn't get FTTH, so it didn't sell me FTTH, but it didn't know that if it sells me a landline I couldn't get broadband in it, so it sold me a landline anyway.
    It is not artificially intelligent enough

Whatever happened it is their machine it is their responsibility.

It is like the American Saying:

When you go to Midas, you get a muffler

They don't sell you what you need, they sell you what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My order is 150 with free local and UK. Its 77 per month, it says 75 on that link, does that link include the €2 direct debit discount in its prices?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    My order is 150 with free local and UK. Its 77 per month, it says 75 on that link, does that link include the €2 direct debit discount in its prices?

I don't know

I cancelled the contract over the phone.
    But if it is OK to sign a contract online, it should be OK to cancel the same contract online.
    The regulations are heavily geared towards companies and against the poor customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I cancelled the contract over the phone.
    But if it is OK to sign a contract online, it should be OK to cancel the same contract online.
    The regulations are heavily geared towards companies and against the poor customer.

It depends on the provider. Most providers will let you cancel over email, fax or letter.

They won't let you cancel over the phone, as somebody else could ring and cancel ... it's not easy to confirm. I know of cases, where in a family dispute, the brother would ring up and try to cancel the other brothers connection to piss him off. That's one of the scenarios providers want to safeguard themselves against. If they have something in writing, they at least have something to back the cancellation up with.

Signing the contract over the phone is no problem though, because it can be tied in with a payment, so that they have payment details. An initial payment can be seen as acceptance of the contract.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    It depends on the provider. Most providers will let you cancel over email, fax or letter.

They won't let you cancel over the phone, as somebody else could ring and cancel ... it's not easy to confirm. I know of cases, where in a family dispute, the brother would ring up and try to cancel the other brothers connection to piss him off. That's one of the scenarios providers want to safeguard themselves against. If they have something in writing, they at least have something to back the cancellation up with.

Signing the contract over the phone is no problem though, because it can be tied in with a payment, so that they have payment details. An initial payment can be seen as acceptance of the contract.

/M
    When you order online they give you account number, you should be able to create account using your account number and email. then you should be able to cancel the account by logging in.
    They don't want to do that because they want to make it difficult for people to cancel.

That is all

When you order online they give you account number, you should be able to create account using your account number and email. then you should be able to cancel the account by logging in.
    They don't want to do that because they want to make it difficult for people to cancel.

That is all

Not necessarily. Anybody in your household could get hold of your account number. Even people that find your bills in the trash.

It's a safe guard for most businesses to require cancellation in writing. From a legal point of perspective. The business has to have proof, that the service was cancelled by the account holder. At least as good as they can.

Just ringing up and cancelling or simply stopping to pay (cancel the direct debit etc.) is not sufficient. And doing it via the online portal not really either. A lot of people don't safeguard their passwords or give them to third party. So with a piece of paper with sufficient information, at least the provider has proof on what basis the service was cancelled.

/M

Not necessarily. Anybody in your household could get hold of your account number. Even people that find your bills in the trash.

It's a safe guard for most businesses to require cancellation in writing. From a legal point of perspective. The business has to have proof, that the service was cancelled by the account holder. At least as good as they can.

Just ringing up and cancelling or simply stopping to pay (cancel the direct debit etc.) is not sufficient. And doing it via the online portal not really either. A lot of people don't safeguard their passwords or give them to third party. So with a piece of paper with sufficient information, at least the provider has proof on what basis the service was cancelled.

/M

If we go that route, someone could steal your details and get an Internet account in your name and use it for terrorism or paedophilia, and that will secure you place in jail, so you can argue that no one should have an Internet account unless they attend themselves with an ID and utility bills to prove their name and address

If we go that route, someone could steal your details and get an Internet account in your name and use it for terrorism or paedophilia, and that will secure you place in jail, so you can argue that no one should have an Internet account unless they attend themselves with an ID and utility bills to prove their name and address

I'm just trying to give some insight "why". What can be done, is done or will maliciously done is a different story.

The reason for the procedure for most businesses in Ireland is based on the state of irish laws. If you don't like it, get the laws changed. Some take it lax, some don't. And I've seen sh!t happening.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

/M

I see no reason why a cancellation cannot be taken on line, by email or by phone, just as an order for the same service is taken.

Generally a 30 day notice is required which is plenty time for a confirmation of cancellation to be sent to the customer, and if it was a malicious cancellation lots of time to revert that cancellation.

If, as you indicate, this is a legal requirement, then it does need to be changed.

Can you indicate which law applies to this type of cancellation of service?

businesses in Ireland is based on the state of irish laws
    God has ten Commandments Others can be changed

I see no reason why a cancellation cannot be taken on line, by email or by phone, just as an order for the same service is taken.

Generally a 30 day notice is required which is plenty time for a confirmation of cancellation to be sent to the customer, and if it was a malicious cancellation lots of time to revert that cancellation.

If, as you indicate, this is a legal requirement, then it does need to be changed.

Can you indicate which law applies to this type of cancellation of service?
    When it comes to traps, easy to get in, difficult to get out

• Advertisement

Speed != Cost. Basically they arent connected. Think of broadband as waste removal not cars. If the truck has to pick up your bin you pay, even if its empty as the truck visiting your house is the cost.

You're in the national broadband plan now. The Govt will subsidize connecting you between 2019-22 ish. In the meantime look at wireless providers.
    Barna Waste recently put barcodes on my dustbins, they said they will change the price so their fee will be calculated by the weight of the dust bin

Barna Waste recently put barcodes on my dustbins, they said they will change the price so their fee will be calculated by the weight of the dust bin

You're still gonna have a standing charge, you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

They have put an rfid chip in the bin and that links the bin to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Lol "!=" not everybody on boards is familiar with the boolean logic.
    Explain why Eir-con charge more for the faster packages so?

Arse and talking out of it!

Hopefully that charge won't be so much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

turbbo wrote: »
    Lol "!=" not everybody on boards is familiar with the boolean logic.
    Explain why Eir-con charge more for the faster packages so?

Arse and talking out of it!

Harsh comment and unhelpful!

Ed E is quite correct in that more and more of service provision has higher fixed charge that is incurred whether you use the service or not, with lower variable charge for each unit used. Look at Electricity with high standing charges and PSO levies whether you use 10 units of electricity in a billing period or 1000.

In the Broadband field, the cost of providing you with a line/link in the first place has to be recouped before a single MB of data is up/down-loaded on that link. The cost of faster packages from any of the providers is NOT proportional to the speed of the line- for example, a 1000mbit link will not cost you 10 times more than a 100 mbit link.

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Ed E is quite correct in that more and more of service provision has higher fixed charge that is incurred whether you use the service or not, with lower variable charge for each unit used. Look at Electricity with high standing charges and PSO levies whether you use 10 units of electricity in a billing period or 1000.

In the Broadband field, the cost of providing you with a line/link in the first place has to be recouped before a single MB of data is up/down-loaded on that link. The cost of faster packages from any of the providers is NOT proportional to the speed of the line- for example, a 1000mbit link will not cost you 10 times more than a 100 mbit link.
    The following is copy paste from eir website

Broadband & Landline

€35 per month for 6 months
    eir Fibre Unlimited up to 100MB
    Unlimited calls to Irish & UK landlines & mobiles
    FREE eir sport pack
    Includes €5 online discount +
    €50 Cashback
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price
    €35 for 6 months
    After 6 months €40
    Contract length 12 months
    https://www.eir.ie/bundles/
    While eir was about to charge me €50 per month for standalone landline, if you add broadband to it "max speed of 1.7 Mbps" it will be about €70 per month.

You're in the national broadband plan now. The Govt will subsidize connecting you between 2019-22 ish.
    That is 5 years from now.
    If that ever happened, I don't want it, They can hang their clothes on their wires

True
    I received a letter from Barna Waste stating that what I am paying now is going to be the standing charge, after 450kg/year they will start charging per weight, I think it is 22 cent / kg. That is not great but at least there is some fairness in that. More service you get more money you pay. unlike eir you pay big money for small "weight" and small money for big "weight", It shouldn't affect me anyway, as I compost whatever compostable and recycle whatever recyclable.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Why
    Was that engraved on the tablet God gave to Moses or what

Advertisement