Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

out of interest, are many people using drop bars?

i mounted my bell near the stem and found it hard to control the bike and use it. felt like a bit of a gamble to take my hands off the hoods/brakes to ring a bell in the hope that the pedestrian in front would hear it and move. better to just shout at them and hit the brakes if they didnt move.

is there a way to mount a bell on drop bars so that it can be dinged while still sitting on the brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This works for me:
    430307.jpg

You can't brake with your left hand at the same time as ringing, but you can ring and then get to the brake straight away, while braking with the right hand already.

You do need longer bolts than come with the bell though. I added a bit of electrical tape too, to stop the bracket digging up the bar tape.

My new bell arrived, a rockbros. Cheap copy of the spurcycle.
    Cost 10eu roughly.

It's a lot louder than the oi at least.
    Will fit later in the same spot as Tomas.

Hopefully will last, but reviews are mixed

wVUTK7R.jpg

I3e8HPt.jpg

Dont mind the crappy bar tape, it was already falling apart. Fits really easily and seems to work well in this position.

One of your children has had their mind blown anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

papu wrote: »
    These are Illegal.

So what, the day fools who cycle in dark clothes without a light costing less than a sandwich are stopped and warned to have lights, as Gardai did in days of yore, is the day I'll stop using stuff which the law mightn't have noted. I've a silver bell that makes a tinkly noise, and is fine for most things, and a loud electric whistle type bell, which sometimes is of help. For the first I just asked for a bell, something cheap and generic, second asked in Think Bike for something like an electric airhorn, something of the sort.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    One of your children has had their mind blown anyway.

😂
    Seemingly, me and him are the only people who can hear it... Not a single walker or cyclist seemed to notice the very loud ping noise.

The shouting continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Anyway, bugger it but this bell is now ringing every time a go over a small bump as the hammer for hitting the bell has lost its rigidity. And no I wasn't in anyway trigger happy with it. Very disappointed given the amount I paid. So will have to go and look at some of the other recommendations now...

you got longer than i did. my rockbros first seized up and then just fell apart.
    i got a refund and ordered a triggerbell which then got delayed and should be here in a few weeks :/

The €10 bell (pictured above) I got in the Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown is still fine. I have two of them actually, one on the tourer (in the picture) and one on the Brompton. It's reasonably loud if you pull the trigger back all the way before releasing. However, on the Brompton it seems to get quiet when it's raining. Probably more sheltered on the tourer.

Might be worth a shot, as it's pretty cheap.

You can hear what it sounds like when you walk into the Dutch Bike Shop, as they've set one up as a customer-entry bell on the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

My bell broke there before Christmas. Can with the bike and the ‘trigger/hammer’ was on a plastic springer which snapped. It was no use in the rain. I think the droplets stop the metal from resonating?
    Tried to get replacement in Halfords but they only had the ones for kids/thin diameter bars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

qb123 wrote: »
    Anyway, bugger it but this bell is now ringing every time a go over a small bump as the hammer for hitting the bell has lost its rigidity. And no I wasn't in anyway trigger happy with it. Very disappointed given the amount I paid. So will have to go and look at some of the other recommendations now...
    site_owner wrote: »
    you got longer than i did. my rockbros first seized up and then just fell apart.
    i got a refund and ordered a triggerbell which then got delayed and should be here in a few weeks :/

I had the crane, and 2 trigger bells, the first trigger bell failed when the spring in the hammer got worn out and the second suffered the same fate both . The crane cracked after a couple of months.

I have a hornit, it's been replaced once, the first lasted a month or 2 before failing. The second has lasted well through winter. It's very good, cars can hear you and it works in the rain. Although you do sound like a knob with it, but it does work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If this is the lionbell you're talking about, it looks like you should be able to bend the bracket that the hammer spring is mounted to. That should make it less trigger happy.

I have a hornit, it's been replaced once, the first lasted a month or 2 before failing. The second has lasted well through winter. It's very good, cars can hear you and it works in the rain. Although you do sound like a knob with it, but it does work!

i dont think i could use it, do people give you abuse? :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

site_owner wrote: »
    i dont think i could use it, do people give you abuse? :eek:

It's just used in traffic, never had any abuse or response at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If this is the lionbell you're talking about, it looks like you should be able to bend the bracket that the hammer spring is mounted to. That should make it less trigger happy.

I'll take a look this evening, but frame seems pretty rigid so not sure this will work. No harm checking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I have the classic car horn from here. Ride in rush hour traffic often and after enough near-misses I like knowing it's there. I have the trigger strapped to my handlebar for a split-second emergency squeeze and the a regular bell for regular use.

http://loudbicycle.com/

Had it a couple years now and is still working well. Went through 2 airzounds but both developed leaks after a few months.

Actually a pic of my bike is in their faq along with a great little bell I can't find anymore I got in Germany

Loud_cycle_horn_stem_mount.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Sorry to hear that. What a pain.

Not that you need to hear this, but mine's been fine since I got it over three years ago (aside from the metal developing a not unpleasant patina).

I'll take a look this evening, but frame seems pretty rigid so not sure this will work. No harm checking though.

i would just get back on to the manufacturer and ask for a new one. they are Uk based so consumer laws apply

I have the classic car horn from here. Ride in rush hour traffic often and after enough near-misses I like knowing it's there. I have the trigger strapped to my handlebar for a split-second emergency squeeze and the a regular bell for regular use.

http://loudbicycle.com/

Had it a couple years now and is still working well. Went through 2 airzounds but both developed leaks after a few months.

Actually a pic of my bike is in their faq along with a great little bell I can't find anymore I got in Germany

That is so ridiculously massive. I mean it sounds like the quality is good, and I'm sure it makes a good noise, but it looks like it weighs as much as my bike does!

• Advertisement
Advertisement