Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weevil 160/100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

To confirm; this Sunday, 7am, College Rd/Grange Rd intersection (south east corner, Marley Park). Open to all, as long as you have a suitable bike, gear, & hope?
    Sounds tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Confirmed!

On a side note, after spending 2 nights in hospital with the older son and the younger one getting a high grade fever last night, and myself feeling and infection coming, I can only hope I'll be fine by then myself!!

Re: low gearing, I'd consider 34x28 minimum, and 34x32 comfortable for this ride.

The weather forcast looks quite good for Sunday - not much lazy sunshine, but no hurricane either*! More importantly, it will be dry.

*This is coming mid-Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alek, Would you consider extending this to 200k and then proposing it as an off-road audax route?

Yes, I was thinking about it! The problem is that it would be extremely hard to navigate it with turn-by-turn directions... if possible at all. I believe all Audax routes need to have a cuesheet - am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You're probably right. I suppose it depends on whether the off-road bits include hard to spot, unsigned 'road less travelled' junctions and such. A bigger issue would be choosing controls to eliminate the numerous shortcuts available in the route.

Thats impossible... Too many loopy loops. As a permanent maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Going to give this a go, looking forward to it, see you in the morning

The more the merrier! In fairness I feel like a piece of shoite today, but will be there for sure - my body will tell me later for how long :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Hi all,
    So Alek and I completed the Weevil 170 -bar the last climb up Three Rock. It was too dark and we couldn't be bothered.
    In the end I spend 12h 20m out on the bike, with 10h of that moving.
    It was a great day, with its ups and downs, rain, sugar filled foods etc.
    I'm sure Alek will fill you guys in too when he sorts out his Strava!
    Cheers also to the other boardsies who came out with us till roundwood. You guys were great company.
    Funny thing -I left in the morning in the dark, and came back in the dark. Weird!
    Cheers Alek for organising :-)

(EDIT) Forgot to give the data. 170km for me with 3,930m elevation. The most I've ever done!

Link to my ride here:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1232098592/

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Excellent video, looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Nice looking spin.

How would it compare to MB200, tougher at a guess?

You should check with Paul, Andreas or the like of Audax Ireland (or ask via Google group) as to whether you could put up as a permanent.
    I don't provide any route sheet for permanent but I'm not certain I don't have to.

In reality trying to do a route sheet for this or similar wouldn't be possible.

There is certainly an appetite for this type of route.

Well done on ride even if you did seem to get dropped all the time :D

I was *allowing* to be dropped only to take a strategic filming position! :D

I find it much tougher than MB200 in fairness, due to difficult terrain / surface. Some of the short climbs are insanely steep too :) On the other hand, I wasn't in my best form on the day, just out of a cold of sorts.

I'll talk to Paul about making it a permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Great video Alex, thanks again to yourself and Sunsets on Tuesday for setting it up and the the ride as far Roundwood.

Thinking of changing the route slightly: does anyone know if there is open access through Kilpedder Rifle Range near Greystones, leading to Altidore hill?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alek wrote: »
    Thinking of changing the route slightly: does anyone know if there is open access through Kilpedder Rifle Range near Greystones, leading to Altidore hill?

A rifle range doesn't seem like the best place to be cycling

I know, but it seems the road only enters the range and then veers out to the right....

https://www.komoot.com/plan/@53.1160138,-6.1395121,15z

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »

Usually not an issue, in that there are signs up if the range is closed. Only downside is that your re-route might get you a bit lost or take longer, as I found out on a spin last year on my third visit past Fenton's where my planned route was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    Surely we're used to being target practice from being on the roads?

Just incidentally, the dirt road in trooperstown is due to be surfaced.

• Advertisement

Just incidentally, the dirt road in trooperstown is due to be surfaced.

Dammit, it was a really nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Are you doing it again sometime soon Alek??

i was thinking after RTL end of November of the Wicklow way again but this would interest me...

Dammit, it was a really nice one.
    I'm not sure how much of it - I follow "Trooperstown" on facebook, and they've been putting out the call to residents to volunteer money to add to the grant, and last week posted that they had the funding in place.

Does anyone have the gpx or kml of this route, please? I'm not strava premium, so can't download from there, but hoping to do some of the route over the next few weeks now I have cross bike!

Attached to this post, a little bit edited and hence not 100% explored version.

Godspeed!

Any thoughts on a 2018 version of Aleks Weevil...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'd be up for it...need a few weeks training first though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Dont really want to contemplate sitting on a bike for a while but fhook it I'm in!

I've been offline for quite a while, but I've been told The Crew is up for some gravel munching again!

In the meanwhile my Kinesis gravel frame snapped, been sent back, fully refunded and a monstercross rig has been built in its place, so I can start thinking of the 2018 edition :D

This year's route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

Shorter, but gnarlier! :D

Knobby tyres a must this time, sorry Sean.

;)

• Advertisement

I've been offline for quite a while, but I've been told The Crew is up for some gravel munching again!

In the meanwhile my Kinesis gravel frame snapped, been sent back, fully refunded and a monstercross rig has been built in its place, so I can start thinking of the 2018 edition :D

This year's route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

Shorter, but gnarlier! :D

Knobby tyres a must this time, sorry Sean.

;)

I did ask.....:cool:

Advertisement