Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air France A380 woes

Options
  • 01-10-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

An Air France A380 made an emergency landing in Goose Bay after what looks like a fan blade failure yesterday.

171001-world-a380-ugc-730a_6e942bd2d3634f0873d70148169e9d6b.nbcnews-ux-320-320.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Good thing that under FAR/JAR requirements it still has another 2 spare engines to loose before anyone has to worry or panic!

Here was me thinking only the daily mail would make a fuss out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Fattes wrote: »
    Good thing that under FAR/JAR requirements it still has another 2 spare engines to loose before anyone has to worry or panic!

engine failure would still be fairly scary during flight though

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

To be fair, the fact that the cowling didn’t contain the failure is a legitimate worry, as it means there’s a chance of debris being thrown into the fuselage, potentially puncturing/penetrating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

faoiarvok wrote: »
    To be fair, the fact that the cowling didn’t contain the failure is a legitimate worry, as it means there’s a chance of debris being thrown into the fuselage, potentially puncturing/penetrating it.

Indeed. I thought a critical design criteria was that the cowling is supposed to contain a complete failure of a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Didnt something similar happen to Qantas a few years ago with a A380?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

jjbrien wrote: »

The Qantas incident was more serious as it was an inner engine that partially exploded, causing various ruptures to the aircraft fuselage.

https://wiki2.org/en/Qantas_Flight_32

"a turbine disc in the aircraft's No. 2 Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine (on the port side nearest the fuselage) had disintegrated. In addition to destruction of the engine, this caused damage to the nacelle, wing, fuel system, landing gear, flight controls, the controls for engine No. 1 and a fire in the left inner wing fuel tank that self-extinguished."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭john boye

jjbrien wrote: »

The Qantas one had rr engines

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

An uncontrolled engine failure is a very serious incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

The failure of the engine in and of itself is not critical. The fact that it blew itself asunder and debris could potentially have punctured the wing tanks or fuselage or indeed damaged the neighboring engine is a great cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I often wonder about the test they do on an engine in a lab to see if it is contained within the engine housing during turbine failure (I saw it on a documentary about the making of the A380, they had to sacrifice a multimillion euro engine for the test). Surely when an engine fails with a 600mph wind passing over and through it it is going to fail differently than one failing in a lab, with no relative wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rustynutz wrote: »
    I often wonder about the test they do on an engine in a lab to see if it is contained within the engine housing during turbine failure (I saw it on a documentary about the making of the A380, they had to sacrifice a multimillion euro engine for the test). Surely when an engine fails with a 600mph wind passing over and through it it is going to fail differently than one failing in a lab, with no relative wind

The lab tests will have equivalent airflow generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It looks like the actual fan disc let go. There aint gunna be any stopping that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

kona wrote: »
    It looks like the actual fan disc let go. There aint gunna be any stopping that.
    Indeed, I agree. The forces at play inside a running engine are just phenomenal.

To illustrate the point, If we cast our mind back 12 months ago to the uncontained failure and fire with AA383, part of the shattered fan disk that pierced the casing and wing was found embedded in the wall of a UPS building approx 0.5km away from the engine from which it was ejected! It was a miracle that it wasn't fired into the cabin where the consequences would've been far more serious.

We all know that these engines are designed as best as possible to retain a failure within the casing. However, my own laymans opinion is that these latest generation of "big engines" by virtue of the sheer power they nowadays produce may be more disposed to any failure occurring being an uncontained event.

The "laboratory" tests mentioned above usually consists of a small explosive charge being detonated on a fan blade whilst the engine is running under power on a rig. The failed blade goes through the core of the engine resulting in its destruction. As we saw with the AF event, whatever happened ripped the front third of the engine clean off, which isn't in the script...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I'd say your reaction would be a "wee" bit different, if you had been on board! :D

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I'd say your reaction would be a "wee" bit different, if you had been on board! :D

Have been on board a 747 with a serious engine issue over greenland.

Put my headphones back in after the announcement and slept untill we landed at Gander!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The qantas one a few years back was lucky to survive the incident. I believe following that event, there were groundings or at least thorough checking of all RR engined A380 to ensure safety.

Put my headphones back in after the announcement and slept untill we landed at Gander!
    What flight was that?

I personally would be very concerned looking out the window, not knowing what other systems the uncontained engine parts may have struck and possibly damaged. You may be able to cruise straight and level after a fan blade has torn through the landing gear or flight control actuators but getting on the ground safely or even turning may be a problem!

mickdw wrote: »
    The qantas one a few years back was lucky to survive the incident. I believe following that event, there were groundings or at least thorough checking of all RR engined A380 to ensure safety.
    I'll be amazed if this incident doesn't prompt something similar. This could have been terrible loss of life rather than a bit of inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The failure of the engine in and of itself is not critical. The fact that it blew itself asunder and debris could potentially have punctured the wing tanks or fuselage or indeed damaged the neighboring engine is a great cause for concern.
    I'm wondering if there was a two step failure here:
    1. Fan fails, and the casing absorbs it
    2. Casing is unbalanced and the airflow works it loose (resulting in it falling down)
    murphaph wrote: »

What flight was that?

I personally would be very concerned looking out the window, not knowing what other systems the uncontained engine parts may have struck and possibly damaged. You may be able to cruise straight and level after a fan blade has torn through the landing gear or flight control actuators but getting on the ground safely or even turning may be a problem!

I wondered this too, on the AF flight - I noticed the slats deployed - I think these are hydraulic. Would have been squeaky bum time to deploy them - maybe a faster landing may have been better rather than deploying slats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Dardania wrote: »

I wondered this too, on the AF flight - I noticed the slats deployed - I think these are hydraulic. Would have been squeaky bum time to deploy them - maybe a faster landing may have been better rather than deploying slats?
    Not to deploy slats or attempt same would have meant a flapless landing. Not recommended. Yes the slats got a wallop but it also shows what a tough old girl the A380 is. The implosion of the fan in flight is very concerning. It’s been a long time since a fan imploded in the cruise and the last time I recall was United DC10 into Sioux City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Not to deploy slats or attempt same would have meant a flapless landing. Not recommended. Yes the slats got a wallop but it also shows what a tough old girl the A380 is. The implosion of the fan in flight is very concerning. It’s been a long time since a fan imploded in the cruise and the last time I recall was United DC10 into Sioux City.

The Sioux city crash was in the engine, first stage compressor fan. This is an outer main fan failure I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ger up out of that will ya Cool hand Luke .:confused::confused::confused:

What flight was that?

Late 90's flight from London to USA, One of only two incidents I have every had with flying. What would my panic or concern change about the situation, this aint father ted I can't climb down with sticky tape and fix it, and nothing I can do will change the situation.

I can however think logically, there are 3 remaining engines, yes there could be other issues depending on the type of engine failure and debris etc, but than again it could be just the engine.

As in this case with the A380 the aircraft could land safely at an alternate destination. Every incident is different, if there was ancillary damage and the aircraft had a landing that lead to injury or casualties than yes it is a more serious incident.
    In this case and with many others looks are deceiving the incident although not desirable was not serious enough to warrant panic nor did it cause a fatality or injury.

Late 90's flight from London to USA, One of only two incidents I have every had with flying. What would my panic or concern change about the situation, this aint father ted I can't climb down with sticky tape and fix it, and nothing I can do will change the situation.

I can however think logically, there are 3 remaining engines, yes there could be other issues depending on the type of engine failure and debris etc, but than again it could be just the engine.

As in this case with the A380 the aircraft could land safely at an alternate destination. Every incident is different, if there was ancillary damage and the aircraft had a landing that lead to injury or casualties than yes it is a more serious incident.
    In this case and with many others looks are deceiving the incident although not desirable was not serious enough to warrant panic nor did it cause a fatality or injury.
    I suspect your 747's engine damage didn't look anywhere near as bad as this incident tbh. The entire fan disc is gone and the cowling that should have contained it. Maybe you could be more specific about your flight. Airline, departure and destination airports might help identify the incident exactly.

The fact you can't do anything about a situation does not mean it isn't serious!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nearly spat my tea out reading this you're some comedian 100% didnt happen,

Anyone know what stage the damage happened at in this case? were they flying for long over the pond?

I suspect your 747's engine damage didn't look anywhere near as bad as this incident tbh. The entire fan disc is gone and the cowling that should have contained it. Maybe you could be more specific about your flight. Airline, departure and destination airports might help identify the incident exactly.

The fact you can't do anything about a situation does not mean it isn't serious!

No the fact that the aircraft made a controlled landing on 3 other engines and the full incident report is not available yet, is why I am not making a personal classification of this incident or creating drama untill all facts are know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I suspect your 747's engine damage didn't look anywhere near as bad as this incident tbh. The entire fan disc is gone and the cowling that should have contained it.s!

That cowling is basically a aerodynamic funnel, its not designed to contain anything other than air for the engine.
    I doubt theres a material on the planet that could contain a fan disc coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

No the fact that the aircraft made a controlled landing on 3 other engines and the full incident report is not available yet, is why I am not making a personal classification of this incident or creating drama untill all facts are know.

Was this a BA 747 by any chance?

Your late 90s flight I'm talking about. Surely you've no problem divulging the details about that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Can we stick to the AF flight please, an issue with a 747 that happened close on 20 years ago is not what this thread is about

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement