Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin Fire Brigade on Twitter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

joujoujou wrote: »
    Apparently, the lady was 'extremely lucky' to be hit by a car;

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fire-engine-ambulance-called-after-15149879

That kind of luck I can do without...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Apparently, the lady was 'extremely lucky' to be hit by a car;

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fire-engine-ambulance-called-after-15149879

That kind of luck I can do without...

“Dublin Fire Brigade have warned drivers to be alert for pedestrians who could do something expected.“

Top class journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly people need to be responsible for their own actions.

Honestly people need to be responsible for their own actions.
    People driving cars need to drive in a manner that allows them to stop in the distance they can see to be clear.

People driving cars need to drive in a manner that allows them to stop in the distance they can see to be clear.

And your point??? Many a collision where the person isn't speeding and even seen it happening and done everything to avoid.

Any sane person doesn't just step out or run out.

And believe me I know full well what can happen as I've had exactly that and they nearly didn't make it.

They were extremely lucky I was going at the speed I was doing as they never looked nor gave any sign what so ever they were going to walk straight out with their head down.
    This surprisingly was without headphones or a phone as a distraction.

They were right beside a pedestrian crossing also and if they toook 5 more steps they would have been on the crossing.

The lights were green for traffic and both sides were moving.

My point is no matter what being distracted or not one needs to take responsibility for their behavior and how they cross the road or whatever for that matter.

• Advertisement

I didn't say 'speeding' - I said, or more importantly, the law says 'drive in a manner that allow you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear'.

And yes, everyone needs to take responsibility for their behaviour - but when we have 3-4 out of every five motorists breaking the speed limit, it's hard for motorists to have much credibility in lecturing others.

I didn't say 'speeding' - I said, or more importantly, the law says 'drive in a manner that allow you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear'.

And yes, everyone needs to take responsibility for their behaviour - but when we have 3-4 out of every five motorists breaking the speed limit, it's hard for motorists to have much credibility in lecturing others.

I didn't say you did but people need to look before they step out or run out it's really that simple.

The one that done it on me was in hospital over a month.

I look both ways even on one way streets so people need to look out for themselves or eventually it could be them 6 feet under.

Just because someone is speeding doesn't mean a sure be grand just run out.

Sure I have people numerous times a day look right at me and step out or run...mind boggling to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I’ve mentioned on here before, a friend of mine was driving when someone decided to commit suicide by jumping out in front of them.

They’d left a note stating their intentions, so no doubts it was deliberate.

Your idiotic statement would imply that every time a driver sees somebody standing at the side of the road that they should slow to a crawl, just in case that person makes a decision to dart across the road at the last second.

My friend has suffered depression, and self-harmed in the years since that incident - in no small part driven to it by people like you who try to imply that she must have been to blame for some of it - just because she was in a car.

Idiots whose default position is to automatically blame someone based on their mode of transport (whether it be on foot, bicycle, motorbike, can, van or truck) are morons who should be ignored, and ostracised by any right-minded people

blackwhite wrote: »
    I’ve mentioned on here before, a friend of mine was driving when someone decided to commit suicide by jumping out in front of them.

They’d left a note stating their intentions, so no doubts it was deliberate.
    Did this happen in Ireland? Roughly where and when please?

Your idiotic statement would imply that every time a driver sees somebody standing at the side of the road that they should slow to a crawl, just in case that person makes a decision to dart across the road at the last second.
    My 'idiotic statement' is directly taken from the law of the land. If you've a problem with it, you should be talking to your TDs. See Section 7.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

Idiots whose default position is to automatically blame someone based on their mode of transport (whether it be on foot, bicycle, motorbike, can, van or truck) are morons who should be ignored, and ostracised by any right-minded people

I can only assume that this isn't aimed at me, given that I didn't blame anybody for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I have also been in the position where a careless/downright stupid pedestrian walked out in front of my car, and despite slamming on the brakes and attempting to avoid them, they came away with a broken leg.

This was in the dark, a few metres from a crossing, green lights for traffic, 3 lanes of traffic they were going to try and dodge and they were dressed all in black.

Shook me silly for months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

According to comments on the incident on facebook, the pedestrian was 'off her face' - so, if true, probably where the basis of that tweet from DFB came from.

Did this happen in Ireland? Roughly where and when please?

Are you trying to doxx me?

There’s numerous documentaries cases of people committing suicide by stepping into traffic. That you feel the need to try and personally identify me and my friends is, tbh, quite disturbing

DidMy 'idiotic statement' is directly taken from the law of the land. If you've a problem with it, you should be talking to your TDs. See Section 7.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print
    The legislation relates to the roadway being clear. It doesn’t legislate for somebody adjacent to the roadway making an idiotic or suicidal decision to jump out in front of a car.

I can only assume that this isn't aimed at me, given that I didn't blame anybody for anything.

Anyone who’s default is to apportion blame to motorists is an idiot. The same as anyone who will automatically blame the cyclist, the pedestrian, etc.
    Anyone who advocates mandatory liability for motorist falls into those categories.

Your post veers dangerously close to falling into that as well - but if you want to self-identify as that then that’s up to you tbh

Are you trying to doxx me?

There’s numerous documentaries cases of people committing suicide by stepping into traffic. That you feel the need to try and personally identify me and my friends is, tbh, quite disturbing
    Interesting reaction. How could this possibly doxx you?

If what you say has happened, the detail of the incident including the suicide note would have come out in a Coroner's Inquest. Those inquest reports tend to be reported fairly widely, for good or for bad. So all this information would be in the public domain.

Personally, I've no recollection of ever hearing of a death by suicide in the kind of circumstances that you mention. But if it has happened 'numerous times', then presumably you'd have no difficulty in identifying one or two or three such cases.

The legislation relates to the roadway being clear. It doesn’t legislate for somebody adjacent to the roadway making an idiotic or suicidal decision to jump out in front of a car.
    The legislation is crystal clear. It says " A vehicle shall not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its driver to bring it to a halt within the distance which the driver can see to be clear."

Any other interpretation that you choose to put on it is your own interpretation, unless you have case law to support your claim.

Anyone who’s default is to apportion blame to motorists is an idiot. The same as anyone who will automatically blame the cyclist, the pedestrian, etc.
    Anyone who advocates mandatory liability for motorist falls into those categories.

Your post veers dangerously close to falling into that as well - but if you want to self-identify as that then that’s up to you tbh
    Again, interesting reaction - interesting that you resort to personal insult instead of logical argument.

Motorists are involved in 99% of road deaths. Pedestrians are involved in about 20%, cyclists are involved in about 5%. So it's not a huge leap to identify motorists as the common factor in road deaths.

The legal requirement for motor insurance advocates mandatory liability for motorists - so presumably, those legislators and the Gardai who enforce it are all idiots in your book.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,366 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The legislation is crystal clear. It says " A vehicle shall not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its driver to bring it to a halt within the distance which the driver can see to be clear."

Any other interpretation that you choose to put on it is your own interpretation, unless you have case law to support your claim.

Same goes for your interpretation.
    The legal requirement for motor insurance advocates mandatory liability for motorists

No it doesn't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Interesting reaction. How could this possibly doxx you?

If what you say has happened, the detail of the incident including the suicide note would have come out in a Coroner's Inquest. Those inquest reports tend to be reported fairly widely, for good or for bad. So all this information would be in the public domain.

Personally, I've no recollection of ever hearing of a death by suicide in the kind of circumstances that you mention. But if it has happened 'numerous times', then presumably you'd have no difficulty in identifying one or two or three such cases.

Again, interesting reaction - interesting that you resort to personal insult instead of logical argument.

Motorists are involved in 99% of road deaths. Pedestrians are involved in about 20%, cyclists are involved in about 5%. So it's not a huge leap to identify motorists as the common factor in road deaths.

The legal requirement for motor insurance advocates mandatory liability for motorists - so presumably, those legislators and the Gardai who enforce it are all idiots in your book.

There’s no mandatory liability in this country. If you are trying to equate the requirement to have insurance to being automatically assumed to be liable then you haven’t the remotest clue what you are whittering on about.
    Liability in Ireland is based on assessed fault, not automatically assigned based on mode of transport.
    Mandatory insurance for motor vehicles presumes that the driver of a motor vehicle is more likely to be liable, but it’s a long way short of mandatory liability (which you and others have been seen advocating for in the past).

I’ve no interest in posting details to identify one of my friends online, which could be used both to identify me, and to link her to the anecdote that she self-harmed in the aftermath.

You’ve some weird fetish with trying to pin the blame on pretty much all of the ills of the world on motorists - I’ve no idea why you’ve decided to take some weird fixation on me, but I won’t be indulging your efforts to identify individuals on here.

Same goes for your interpretation.
    I didn't make any interpretation. I simply stated the law, word for word from statute. It's strange how some people take great offence at being reminded of their legal obligations.

There’s no mandatory liability in this country. If you are trying to equate the requirement to have insurance to being automatically assumed to be liable then you haven’t the remotest clue what you are whittering on about.
    Liability in Ireland is based on assessed fault, not automatically assigned based on mode of transport.
    Mandatory insurance for motor vehicles presumes that the driver of a motor vehicle is more likely to be liable, but it’s a long way short of mandatory liability (which you and others have been seen advocating for in the past).
    In fairness, this is mostly correct. It's not a question of mandatory liability (which I'm fairly sure I have never advocated for). However, the requirement for mandatory insurance is a very real recognition of the huge damage done to people and property by motorists each day on our roads. The absence of a requirement for mandatory insurance for cyclists or pedestrians is a very real recognition of the absence of huge damage done to people and property by cyclists or pedestrians, by contrast.

For the record, I may have advocated for presumed liability, as operates in ALL European countries except Malta, Cyprus, Romania, Ireland, and the UK.

I’ve no interest in posting details to identify one of my friends online, which could be used both to identify me, and to link her to the anecdote that she self-harmed in the aftermath.

You’ve some weird fetish with trying to pin the blame on pretty much all of the ills of the world on motorists - I’ve no idea why you’ve decided to take some weird fixation on me, but I won’t be indulging your efforts to identify individuals on here.
    My only weird fetish (well, the only one relevant to this discussion) is for facts and evidence over anecdote in these public policy debates. If you are unable to identify the case you brought into the debate, would you like to identify some of the other 'numerous' (your word) similar cases - of pedestrians stepping out in front of motorists with suicidal intentions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

I didn't make any interpretation. I simply stated the law, word for word from statute. It's strange how some people take great offence at being reminded of their legal obligations.

Somewhere between the above law, and maniac motorists who are intent on knocking down every cyclist they see - are reasonable people who use a bit of cop on to read a situation.

I would love to see how quickly you can stop a car at motorway speeds if a pedestrian was to run in front of you.

Somewhere between the above law, and maniac motorists who are intent on knocking down every cyclist they see - are reasonable people who use a bit of cop on to read a situation.

I would love to see how quickly you can stop a car at motorway speeds if a pedestrian was to run in front of you.

Video embedding didn't work for me, but I did get to see the video.Interesting that you had to go outside the UK to find a relevant example. You don't get pedestrians on motorways as a rule, so if they are there, it's probably a good sign that something is going down.

The ability to 'use a bit of cop on to read a situation' seems to be absent for large numbers of drivers who block up junctions by getting 'caught by the lights'. They seem surprised that green lights go amber, and amber lights go red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just on a side note, it's utter luck that there where not more people killed yesterday, some of the branches I seen on the deck today/yesterday, had anyone been walking under them, they would have killed you stone dead. Utter amazing how it wasn't a red warning in fairness.

For the BMW owners below

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1042783449973760000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just on a side note, it's utter luck that there where not more people killed yesterday, some of the branches I seen on the deck today/yesterday, had anyone been walking under them, they would have killed you stone dead. Utter amazing how it wasn't a red warning in fairness.

I guess they were reluctant to put out a red warning given there's already been two in fairly short space of time. A third would be probably be a bit a of an overkill given they predicted Ophelia wrong particularly in Dublin where it never really warranted a red warning. Yesterday was probably worse in Ophelia in Dublin at least.

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement