Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff - 50 greatest games of all time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It just really annoys me that these unqualified mugs keep doing these lists and they almost always suck.

It's true that the writers might be young and inexperienced but ignorance isn't really an excuse.

I'd actually totally disagree with you about 80's games having not aged well. There's plenty of amazing 80's games that are timeless and still amazing. There's some that have aged poorly (stuff like Kid Icarus and Metroid) but the very best from that era are still amazing and still should still be challenging for a place on top 100 lists.

There's plenty of 'modern' games on that list that haven't aged well such as Goldeneye (near unplayable now), Tomb Raider (I still think it's great but it's very clunky), FFVII (Love it but there's better RPGs) and Wipeout (which was never a good game until, the sequels were better and F-zero ****s all over it).

To be totally honest, this is the only part here I'd truly disagree with you on here.

What exactly makes you 'qualified' to do these lists? Playing games since the glory days of Pong?

Surely to be qualified in reviewing games is just a genuine love for gaming, and I suppose the category of game that you're reviewing too.

For example, I hate games like Fifa or C.O.D., so it'd be pointless for me to review. But I love games like The Witcher 3, so it'd make sense to review it.

So I guess my question really is, what makes you qualified to write reviews or make lists?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be totally honest, this is the only part here I'd truly disagree with you on here.

What exactly makes you 'qualified' to do these lists? Playing games since the glory days of Pong?

Surely to be qualified in reviewing games is just a genuine love for gaming, and I suppose the category of game that you're reviewing too.

For example, I hate games like Fifa or C.O.D., so it'd be pointless for me to review. But I love games like The Witcher 3, so it'd make sense to review it.

So I guess my question really is, what makes you qualified to write reviews or make lists?

Well I never said I'd be more qualified... although going by that list.

Honestly, to make a more definitive list that actually holds some weight you would need a large knowledge base. And that's kind of a problem when it comes to videogames for two reasons, the platforms that you play them on become obsolete rather quickly and the time investment required is massive compared to say films or literature.

Saying that, to put it in film terms this here is a POS akin to FHM top 50 movie list as opposed to a Roger Ebert top 50 films list.

In terms of game lists there's very few I'd say are well down. The PC Gamer one was fantastic a couple of years ago and it's still good but there's too many modern games in it now that really aren't going to hold up in a few years time. The best I'd seen was a retronauts one compiled from selections from a group of journalists that had been in the industry for years. While there's some games I feel they missed out on (Which is inevitable), everyone of the games I felt deserved to be celebrated on a list of top games and each had a write up explaining why they should be on it.

I know these things are all subjective and based on opinions but you know what, opinions can be ill informed and idiotic. If some one told me the best 3 games ever were Starcarft, Deus Ex and Super Mario World I'd say 'Good sir, they wouldn't be mine but I must commend you on some excellent choices that I can't argue with'. Compare that to these clowns with their definitive list including Goldeneye and Wipeout and I'd tell them to feck right off. I get the feeling the people that compiled that list put in their favourite games from the last 15 years and threw in token popular old games they never played before.

I think a genuine love of games really doesn't qualify anyone to review games. There's far too many writers out there that get caught up in publisher hype trains or even letting their own biased loyalties get in the way. A love and knowledge of games is important but you also need a healthy dose of cynicism (and by healthy I mean a hell of a lot less than Jim Sterling) to give a good review that keeps the bias to a minimum.

Also a best games of all time list without Super Metroid is a disgrace.

Would you consider putting together a top 50 retro? If you have the time it could be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Would you consider putting together a top 50 retro? If you have the time it could be a bit of fun.
    We should all try to guess Retr0gamer's top 50 instead. My bet for top 5 is FFVII, five times... :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I really don't get all the praise that Inside gets. It was a decent platformer. Not much more to it.

Arbitrarily ranking it's place in the canon is pointless, but Inside is IMO one of the most aesthetically extraordinary games ever made. The sheer level of artistry in the visuals, sound and storytelling - and, even more importantly, how it pulls everything together - puts it beyond most of even its most accomplished contemporaries. Goes well beyond being a decent platformer - hell, even the puzzle and movement mechanics reflect the game's overall sense of menace, oppression and ambiguity :)

Also: I'm fairly confident there has never been a more polished game in the history of the medium! Every single frame per second feels like it has a purpose and been gone over with a fine tooth comb!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well I never said I'd be more qualified... although going by that list.

Honestly, to make a more definitive list that actually holds some weight you would need a large knowledge base. And that's kind of a problem when it comes to videogames for two reasons, the platforms that you play them on become obsolete rather quickly and the time investment required is massive compared to say films or literature.

Saying that, to put it in film terms this here is a POS akin to FHM top 50 movie list as opposed to a Roger Ebert top 50 films list.

In terms of game lists there's very few I'd say are well down. The PC Gamer one was fantastic a couple of years ago and it's still good but there's too many modern games in it now that really aren't going to hold up in a few years time. The best I'd seen was a retronauts one compiled from selections from a group of journalists that had been in the industry for years. While there's some games I feel they missed out on (Which is inevitable), everyone of the games I felt deserved to be celebrated on a list of top games and each had a write up explaining why they should be on it.

I know these things are all subjective and based on opinions but you know what, opinions can be ill informed and idiotic. If some one told me the best 3 games ever were Starcarft, Deus Ex and Super Mario World I'd say 'Good sir, they wouldn't be mine but I must commend you on some excellent choices that I can't argue with'. Compare that to these clowns with their definitive list including Goldeneye and Wipeout and I'd tell them to feck right off. I get the feeling the people that compiled that list put in their favourite games from the last 15 years and threw in token popular old games they never played before.

I think a genuine love of games really doesn't qualify anyone to review games. There's far too many writers out there that get caught up in publisher hype trains or even letting their own biased loyalties get in the way. A love and knowledge of games is important but you also need a healthy dose of cynicism (and by healthy I mean a hell of a lot less than Jim Sterling) to give a good review that keeps the bias to a minimum.

Also a best games of all time list without Super Metroid is a disgrace.

You do realise you're pretty much saying a good list is one that conforms to your biased loyalties rather than ones you don't agree with.

I don't think there's such a thing as a good list, no matter how broad it is people will think it's wrong or biased towards something or other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No I'm not saying that. I'd rather an informed list rather than a list from people that have very little knowledge about the subject. You'll never agree with everything and there's games that just aren't for me but at least I can agree that they should be on the list. For instance I don't like civ games but or the sims but I have no problem with them being in a best of list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

to put it in film terms this here is a POS akin to FHM top 50 movie list

So why get annoyed about it then.

Because it's garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Because it's garbage.

Ah but in fairness, if it's soundtrack isn't entirely composed of bleeps and bloops, has a difficulty level akin to resolving the palestinian conflict, and has pixels so large you can see them on Google Earth, you've no mass in it.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

spent a while looking through the list trying to find TLOU, couldn't see it. This is garbage I thought.
    Should have started from the beginning.
    It's my favourite game probably (although a couple may beat it when you factor in nostalgia) but surprised it was ranked #1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Maybe we should just create some crazy massive thread and see what the best 50 video games are :p use polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

EoinHef wrote: »
    Theres no pleasing some people!!

ex-leper.jpg?w=625

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know the list is BS because Final Fantasy VII isn't number 1.

Also, wtf is Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tech for lads mag

proper gaming lists should be broken down into genres as you can't compare a sports game with an FPS as people will ultimately not vote for 1 or the other as that is not their preference of game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

metal gear solid, what memories. i was literally afraid of my ****e to play that for months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

no point n clicks, no representative from classic D&D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Where is Gunship ???? Commodore 64

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

What was the parameters or was it just there enjoyment if the game what would games be like with out pac-man and mario yes tlou makes them look like garbage but it's like the aeroplane we have jets now but is the jet as big a leap forward from what came before it as the wright brothers first plane was

Punctuation is underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Punctuation is underrated.

Ya I'm terrible my appoliges but I presume you struggled trough it and got my point my spelling literacy grammar puntiatuon will always be terrible but I do try

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Shadow of the Colossus not listed?!

GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The lack of Deadly Premonition love disappoints me. Not specifically in this list, just life in general. :D

Advertisement