Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cortisol and an easy jog

Options
  • 26-09-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I usually do my strength and conditioning in the evening which keeps me fit. I also like to walk.

In an effort to save a bit of time on the walking aspect, I am thinking of doing a 5k in the morning before work at an easy pace. Will this have a negative impact in terms of cortisol vs walking? Just trying to find a balance and not burn out. I think it would be fine but interested in peoples thoughts.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hi,

Cortisol is for?

Are you going to follow a couch to 5km programme? It's supposed to be a great one and valuable information on the Running forum, I can't find it at the minute.

Also coming into Winter and running in the morning please ensure you are lit up like a Christmas tree. Login to the RSA website and they'll send you a running bib.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Body Fat Estimate

aquinn wrote: »
    Hi,

Cortisol is for?

Are you going to follow a couch to 5km programme? It's supposed to be a great one and valuable information on the Running forum, I can't find it at the minute.

Also coming into Winter and running in the morning please ensure you are lit up like a Christmas tree. Login to the RSA website and they'll send you a running bib.

Cortisol increases can be caused by exercise, just curious did anyone know how Walking compares with an easy jog in this respect.

I would be reasonably fit could jog a 10k at an easy pace handy enough so I'm not looking at any sort of couch to 5k program :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Cortisol increases can be caused by exercise, just curious did anyone know how Walking compares with an easy jog in this respect.

I would be reasonably fit could jog a 10k at an easy pace handy enough so I'm not looking at any sort of couch to 5k program :)

Ah ok.

I wouldn't run every morning, build yourself up slowly and see how you get on.

The S&C will certainly stand to you and you'll be fitter from running than you would from walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any increase in cortisol from an easy jog is going to have a negligible impact on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I usually do my strength and conditioning in the evening which keeps me fit. I also like to walk.

In an effort to save a bit of time on the walking aspect, I am thinking of doing a 5k in the morning before work at an easy pace. Will this have a negative impact in terms of cortisol vs walking? Just trying to find a balance and not burn out. I think it would be fine but interested in peoples thoughts.

Thanks
    spend the extra time working on mobility - youll wish you did far far more 10yrs from now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Body Fat Estimate

Transform wrote: »
    spend the extra time working on mobility - youll wish you did far far more 10yrs from now

Might be a good call. Plus an extra hours sleep instead of going for a 5k might be more beneficial

Might be a good call. Plus an extra hours sleep instead of going for a 5k might be more beneficial
    yup if you told people you had a natural supplement that would increase testosterone by 10-15% they'd jump at the chance, tell them to sleep more = zero interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Transform wrote: »
    yup if you told people you had a natural supplement that would increase testosterone by 10-15% they'd jump at the chance, tell them to sleep more = zero interest

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/24/why-lack-of-sleep-health-worst-enemy-matthew-walker-why-we-sleep

Advertisement