Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Christian perspective of understanding

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

smacl wrote: »
    Possibly more suited to the Numerology, Crystal balls and Tea leaves forum.
    Reminds me of a book which somebody mentioned at some point and which I've been trying off and on for years to remember for long enough to search out and get - it's Simon Hoggart's anti-woo book, Crystal Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In the qoute you referenced, I did not mention God once.

Eh? You said
    ....To know God is to love him because he has given humanity everything he has to give.

Which god are you talking about? - it's getting quite confusing tbh.

I referred to faith as opposed to non faith and Christian faith as opposed to non Christian faith. Suffering tends to beset those who abandon God as Russia did for most of the twentieth century and Christianity does seem to be rather successful in the absence of militant secularism. It is wonderful to see the reemergence of Orthodoxy in Russia and of course the decline of the west is likely to resume with a vengeance when a leftist replaces Trump as the next US President.

You referred to "inroads by non Christian groups" and also other peoples of faiths inluding muslims, jews etc  and christianity retreating...

The I think you are rambling now. And you have failed to answer my question - as whether it's a fight between different religons / faiths you listed and their gods or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the qoute you referenced, I did not mention God once. I referred to faith as opposed to non faith and Christian faith as opposed to non Christian faith. Suffering tends to beset those who abandon God as Russia did for most of the twentieth century and Christianity does seem to be rather successful in the absence of militant secularism. It is wonderful to see the reemergence of Orthodoxy in Russia and of course the decline of the west is likely to resume with a vengeance when a leftist replaces Trump as the next US President.

I don't feel that I am suffering, and though I have had my three score years and ten, I don't feel in any way perturbed about my future (or lack of it). Though I do still have a lot to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

King Mob wrote: »
    So to confirm: when you claimed it was significant, you were incorrect?

If so, why were you incorrect? Why do you believe that your numerology stuff is accurate or useful or meaningful?

How do you define "significant" and what were you expecting to happen on that date?

Not incorrect. After all, one can measure 17 in weeks, months and decades, and not just days. Also, who is to say the 30th was not of significance, I mean apart from Mary, Joseph and a few shepherds almost nobody was aware of the significance of the first Christmas, yet it was of great significance. That day just needed time for its significance to become apparent. Come to think of it, Herod and his advisers also knew but that was still a tiny minority.

It did not take long for the significance to effect a lot of people because first born sons in the land of Israel were slaughtered within two years of the birth of Christ.

One could measure time by bowel movements if it suited one’s purpose. Any sources for the Herod story? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Not incorrect. After all, one can measure 17 in weeks, months and decades, and not just days. Also, who is to say the 30th was not of significance,.
    So then what happened on that day then?
    How do you know something actually happened and you're not just making it up?
    At what point will we be able to verify something has happened?

What is your purpose in announcing this to us when you've nothing convincing or worthwhile to back it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

looksee wrote: »
    I don't feel that I am suffering ...
    Give it time.

Give it time.

Eternity?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Give it time.

What a thoroughly obnoxious attitude. You reckon that'll get you past any pearly gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I dunno, maybe posting pointless crap in atheist fora is worth a few 'golden harp stamps'. Collect 1,000,000,000,000 and get a free toaster eternal salvation!*

* Terms and conditions apply. Redemption is not guaranteed. Golden Harp Stamps are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. Not valid if prohibited in your state.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So, why 17 days after? Why not before? Or at 17:00 or 17:17? Or 17 weeks?
    Mortals have an immortal soul. Mortals are free to choose between good and evil. To know God is to love him because he has given humanity everything he has to give.
    How exactly? The whole Jesus thing? The Jesus who didn't actually die and who knew he wasn't going to die? The one who knew from the moment of his birth that he was going to ascend into heaven and like in glory forever? How exactly is that giving everything he has to give?

• Advertisement

Something created by magic has an opportunity cost of zero. God won't have given us everything he has to give until he's magicked up an infinite number of sons to die become mildly inconvenienced for three days for our 'sins'.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kylith wrote: »
    So, why 17 days after?
    Coz 17 provides a false sense of destiny?

I mean, whoever prophesied that the world was going to end in a random-time-unit multiple of two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I dunno, maybe posting pointless crap in atheist fora is worth a few 'golden harp stamps'. Collect 1,000,000,000,000 and get a free toaster eternal salvation!*

* Terms and conditions apply. Redemption is not guaranteed. Golden Harp Stamps are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. Not valid if prohibited in your state.
    Are they like "green shield" stamps?

Are they like "green shield" stamps?

Careful there - you're showing your age ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Give it time.

Ah yes, of course, the best of prophecies. See, why didn't you stick to this nice vague proclamation instead of giving a specific date? This is, basically what you are doing.

You: You have abandoned <INSERT YOUR SPECIC MADE UP SUPERNATURAL BEING >, therefore you will suffer some indeterminate bad thing at some indeterminate time in the future.

Me: I'm all good, sorry.

You: Yeah, well, you won't be at some point, probably. I know this because my god is an awful cnut and he won't let you away with your whole living as if he doesn't exist.

SOME INDETERMINATE TIME LATER

Me: Damn, I just stubbed my toe getting out of the shower.

You: SEE!!! I told you. I told you something bad would happen.

I feel really sorry for you. There is a great big world out there. It has its problems, sure, but it is not as bad as you think it is. You need to have a long think about the type of stuff you are reading, because I genuinely think it is damaging to your mental health.

MrP

gozunda wrote: »
    Careful there - you're showing yoyr age ;)

Guilty as charged - I even included a link for those too young to get the joke. /le sigh /young ppl these days

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I still have a few of those green shield saucers and plates around somewhere, the ones with the squirrels and foxes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Today isn't the 17th, but it'll have to do!

Yes, it's the Nubiru Apocalypse (again) today, Sunday.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/planet-nibiru-expected-to-trigger-apocalypse-this-sunday-warns-christian-numerologist-once-again/

Should we get mass before or after? Is it ok to eat pork? Pineapple on pizza?

I hope it's after the Packers-Ravens game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If no-one can know the time or the date, why were you (realitykeeper) insisting that it was going to end on October 30th? Was it just to have a feeling of superiority to the agnostics and atheists that you were to be saved and we're not?

I'm sure there's something about both pride and lying about God and his will and actions in the Bible.

Advertisement