Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio 2017 - MSDN License

Options
  • 24-09-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I have a Visual Studio installation under an MSDN license on my home machine which I needed for work, but as I'm leaving the job the license will inevitably expire.

Can VS still be used indefinitely or will it get to a point where it will close on startup and I need to purchase my own license? I understand there is a "perpetual license" with a grace period but unclear how long that will last for.

Similarly with an Office365 installation which is also Enterprise. I imagine this will not startup once my work account is removed from the enterprise?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on the agreement with how your work has the licensing. Some provide them, or just allow the use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is the free Community Edition not enough?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

I mean, assume the license is revoked, does the software just close upon opening or can I still use it for editing code/creating docs in Office?

Can you switch the license to a personal one after, or is it a fresh reinstall?

28064212 wrote: »
    Is the free Community Edition not enough?

Possibly.. just curious what actually happens to the software itself when the license is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I have a Visual Studio installation under an MSDN license on my home machine which I needed for work, but as I'm leaving the job the license will inevitably expire.

Can VS still be used indefinitely or will it get to a point where it will close on startup and I need to purchase my own license? I understand there is a "perpetual license" with a grace period but unclear how long that will last for.

It'll eventually pop up a box saying you need to log in with your windows account to verify the licence. There is no reason why your work email won't still work. Your work email need not be valid as it's a Windows Live login.

All that said, the community edition is free for home use and does 99.9% of anything anyone could ever want. And if you really need an Enterprise feature, the "preview" Enterprise editions are also free for home use. They expire quite quickly, just update to the latest preview edition.

Niall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Your license is unlikely to expire unless your company goes out of business.

• Administrators Posts: 53,465 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You might be able to switch to the community edition by just using a different microsoft account but I've never tried.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I ran into this recently. You do have to uninstall the MSDN edition and install the Community one

stevenmu wrote: »
    I ran into this recently. You do have to uninstall the MSDN edition and install the Community one

Right, and same deal for Office365 I imagine?

Is there a free edition of that or should I just install Open Office at that stage?

No free edition of Office unless you are a student. Cheapest version is like 7 quid a month or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

awec wrote: »
    No free edition of Office unless you are a student. Cheapest version is like 7 quid a month or something.

And even then, the only widely available Office available to all students is Office 2007. Institutions have to specifically hand cash to Microsoft if they want their particular students to have a newer version.

(I just finished a Pure Maths course with the OU during which I had access to all the free student stuff. Some of which, like Windows, Project, Access, SQL Server, and Visual Studio, was super useful. But Office 2007 was the newest they'd give me for free)

Niall

Will Office start up if the license has expired (been removed), or just exit straight away ?

i.e. can you still use it to view docs, but not create them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

14ned wrote: »
    And even then, the only widely available Office available to all students is Office 2007. Institutions have to specifically hand cash to Microsoft if they want their particular students to have a newer version.

(I just finished a Pure Maths course with the OU during which I had access to all the free student stuff. Some of which, like Windows, Project, Access, SQL Server, and Visual Studio, was super useful. But Office 2007 was the newest they'd give me for free)

Niall

I have 2016 for free from my college

Niall

o365 is available to students, you just need an email address from a university that is signed up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Niall

Not true, I have Office 2016 through my college, and the 365 portal will only allow me download the 2016 version, not even the 2013 version is on there anymore.

Advertisement