Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Maze

• 23-09-2017 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭ armaghlad

Just home from cinema having watched this. Really enjoyable film, based on the IRA escape from HMP Maze in 1983. As far as Troubles-based films go, it was really well made.

Some of the accents were slightly off but I suppose given the intended audience (i.e. anyone outside greater Belfast) it's only a minor criticism. I think the location they used wasn't suitable and could have possibly used the last remainig H block to shoot some scenes but other than that a really good watch. Nidge aka Tom Vaughan-Lawlor was excellent in the lead role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭ Outlaw Pete

Seen it last night myself and yeah it's excellent.

I've read a few books on it and only 2 or 3% of the story is told.

Felt they could have made a good Netflix series out of it easily had they wanted to.

Knowing a fair bit about it I was hoping for certain aspects of the story to be tackled but mostly they were not.

Great stuff all the same for what there was and I agree Tom was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 FCIM

Seen it last night myself and yeah it's excellent.

I've read a few books on it and only 2 or 3% of the story is told.

Felt they could have made a good Netflix series out of it easily had they wanted to.

Knowing a fair bit about it I was hoping for certain aspects of the story to be tackled but mostly they were not.

Great stuff all the same for what there was and I agree Tom was excellent.

As a movie intended to bring the story to a general audience rather than dissect the politics of the events, it is a good film. I was slightly disappointed it didn't go into more depth but I would have a stronger knowledge of the escape, the H Blocks and Long Kesh than the general punter and everyone in the cinema seemed intrigued. I wouldn't criticise it too much for that, it's just a personal preference that I would have liked it better if it had deepened my knowledge but I enjoyed it as a piece of cinema nonetheless and it's general appeal would have been reduced had it been something which went into too much depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 75,027 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is becoming one of Ireland's great actors, I also thought Martin McCann did well in his role

• Registered Users Posts: 78,148 ✭✭✭✭ Victor

I think using Cork Prison was a bit meh. Old stone walls in multi-storey buildings in what was a brand new prison exclusively using single-storey buildings is a bit off.

Showing scenes of Cork was a bit "Duh!" to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 75,027 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

It is on RTE 1 on Saturday

• Advertisement
Advertisement