Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go from here?

Options
  • 22-09-2017 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All,

just looking for a bit of advice/guidance,

I have been going to a Crossfit Gym for almost two years, I started off with terrible mobility but thanks to some really good advice and coaching, I have developed really good habits as regards stretching etc and I have made big improvements in my mobility - which has resulted in improved form when lifting etc.

the gym I am attending has been hugely positive for me in terms of setting me on the right path to improved mobility,
    it also suits me as someone who doesn't have much spare time (long working hours, young family) in the following ways;
    - the sessions are only one hour long,
    - I don't need to invest time into what I am doing in the gym.

But the thing is, whilst I love the weightlifting side of things, I am now finding the WOD or MetCon side of it a real grind, to the point where it is totally turning me off, I also think that it is very hard to get strong with that kind of training.

So I am at the point where I am thinking of striking out on my own, I reckon if I train 3/4 times a week incorporating in squats, deadlifts, pull ups, push presses etc - but I am just nervous to do this this in terms of not having a coach watching me, or what program would I even follow...

It would be great to hear from anyone who has been through something similar and can advise me on the next step, or to hear from anyone who can offer me some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you spoken with your coach about it?

If they're not amenable to going down the route you want to, then you could always go train on your own and engage a coach that will give you a plan of actin based on what you want to get out of your training. Probably be able to get recommendations for a coach here, if that's the route you want to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Have you spoken with your coach about it?

If they're not amenable to going down the route you want to, then you could always go train on your own and engage a coach that will give you a plan of actin based on what you want to get out of your training. Probably be able to get recommendations for a coach here, if that's the route you want to take.

Thanks for the reply - yes I have spoken to my coach but they don't want to let individuals deviate much from the gym programming as it could potentially becoming messy as more and more will want to just do their own thing.
    Which is fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The metcon stuff isn't really supposed to be for strength though.
    Is there not some sort of strength programming alongside it. What does a 1 hour session look like?

Mellor wrote: »
    The metcon stuff isn't really supposed to be for strength though.
    Is there not some sort of strength programming alongside it. What does a 1 hour session look like?

Sorry my first post was a bit unclear - yes there is strength programming alongside the metcon work-outs.

A typical strength session would be warm-up (10 min), strength (40 min), mecon (10 min), this may be the class structure 2/3 times a week and then the other days would be a more cardio based session and skilled based sessions.

I guess my issue is that I would like to strength train more (currently might squat and deadlift 2/3 a month) and I know I am being a lazy [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL], but I just hate the metcon section, like I wouldn't mind doing it once or twice a week but it is tagged onto every session, I have looked around at other gyms in the area but everyone seems to be delivering the same style of training. (I Live in rural Ireland the selection is not great)

I am thinking of starting strength training myself 3 times a week and do some conditioning work once a week instead - but it would be my first time training independently from a coach - so I am nervous that doing it myself will lead to bad programming, injuries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If what you want to do isn't aligned with what they do at the gym, then there's no point continuing there.

Where are you based - someone might be able to point you in the direction of a trainer that could help.

• Advertisement

I understood what you mean. I was asking about the strength programing specifically.
    Assuming you are going 12-15 times a month. What are you doing for strength work if squats and deads make up so little of it.

I understood what you mean. I was asking about the strength programing specifically.
    Assuming you are going 12-15 times a month. What are you doing for strength work if squats and deads make up so little of it.

Back Squat, deadlift, front squat, push press, strict press, but just not very frequently - maybe once every two weeks - problem is if I miss a day when one of these lifts is on then my opportunity to work at these lifts is reduced further.
    Basically I am making very little progress

How many of each of those would you do per workout?

If it's 3 for example, that might be 35 for the month. Which is probably enough to progress, even allowing for randomness

How many of each of those would you do per workout?

If it's 3 for example, that might be 35 for the month. Which is probably enough to progress, even allowing for randomness

It would be one of each per workout (I have a bad feeling as I type this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

JesusRef wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been going to a Crossfit Gym for almost two years, I started off with terrible mobility but thanks to some really good advice and coaching, I have developed really good habits as regards stretching etc and I have made big improvements in my mobility - which has resulted in improved form when lifting etc.

the gym I am attending has been hugely positive for me in terms of setting me on the right path to improved mobility,
    it also suits me as someone who doesn't have much spare time (long working hours, young family) in the following ways;

But the thing is, whilst I love the weightlifting side of things, I am now finding the WOD or MetCon side of it a real grind, to the point where it is totally turning me off, I also think that it is very hard to get strong with that kind of training.

So I am at the point where I am thinking of striking out on my own, I reckon if I train 3/4 times a week incorporating in squats, deadlifts, pull ups, push presses etc - but I am just nervous to do this this in terms of not having a coach watching me, or what program would I even follow...

It would be great to hear from anyone who has been through something similar and can advise me on the next step, or to hear from anyone who can offer me some advice

I'd say you'd be grand. You've learned all the lifts under supervision so you know your form is okay.

I do short workouts for the same reason as you.

My warmup is dynamic stretching, gentle cardio, practice form of lifts using empty bar. Then I do 2-3 sets of 3-4 lifts, usually 5 reps per set. Then I do a good bit of static stretching of my hips and shoulders, and some assistance stuff e.g. Face pulls.

Back squat or deadlift.
    Lat pull down or pull ups or row.
    Bench press or press.

I do this 3 times a week. I also spend about half an hour mainly running/partly walking a trail 1-3 times a week. Long distance running interferes with strength gains but up to 5km should be okay. In my case I think it's helped, as I've found myself less out of breath and tired during workouts. Deadlifts had really been wiping me for a while.

I've been making good progress with this approach. When I have more time to spend it usually goes into more time on static stretching.

If your training is good and you're not progressing then increasing how much you eat is likely to work. You may put on fat as a result of this. You might need to spend time eating at a deficit to lose this fat, during which time your lifts might disimprove a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

JesusRef wrote: »
    Hi All,

current height/weight, age and gender?

simple answer - when metcon rocks around tell them you're grand (not every time) and go off and do your own mobility work, if they wont allow you to do that then they're going to lose a valuable member.

Plus it really depends on the overall structure - if theres an emphasis on the metcons being super intense all the time and constantly filled with ducking box jumps, burpees, kettlebell swings, thrusters and wall balls then the overall programming is IMO off

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

Can you check your WODs ahead of time?

If it's something you can pick & choose, why not maintain the CrossFit membership, go on the days you think you'll enjoy the wods, then go to a regular gym on the other days.

Alternatively - hire a trainer or strength coach in a regular gym to keep you accountable.

thanks for all the advice, I have decided to strike out and my own and check back in with a coach every now and again for programming advice and form check etc - much happier with my first week in the new regime - it just suits me more.

Thanks for all the advice, it gave me the push I needed to go and take this on

Advertisement