Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding smaller number of 2 numbers inputted by user

Options
12346»

Comments

If you want to improve as a developer, then this is a skill that you should learn. It'll be invaluable in the future.

I'll second this.

It'll elevate you from being a typist to being an engineer :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If you want to improve as a developer, then this is a skill that you should learn. It'll be invaluable in the future.
    I'll second this.

It'll elevate you from being a typist to being an engineer :pac:

Is this just a skill you naturally have or is it one you can learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I complete agree.

In a real world scenario the requirements, approach, any potential issues/conflicts and even test scenarios will all be worked out before any code is written.
    Is this just a skill you naturally have or is it one you can learn?

it's definitely something that you learn over time. Everyone starts coding by diving straight in. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Remouad wrote: »
    I complete agree.

In a real world scenario the requirements, approach, any potential issues/conflicts and even test scenarios will all be worked out before any code is written.

it's definitely something that you learn over time. Everyone starts coding by diving straight in. :D

Even when I'm just writing simple little things like the above I just dive straight and think as I type :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Even when I'm just writing simple little things like the above I just dive straight and think as I type :D.

Yes, but you should now be able to see the folly of it. Everyone does it at the start, myself included but you need to be able to think logically about what you are trying to solve and how you are trying to go about it. If you were to use this current problem as an exercise to diagram out some sort of flow, it should become obvious what the problem is and how to solve it.

This isn't the first time that you've asked these sorts of questions, and the one thing that seems to me is that you're not really learning from the answers that you've been given before, hence I'm suggesting you try a different approach otherwise people will get tired of you asking the same questions and it starts to sound more like someone asking for their homework to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Flowcharts, are they still called that? Can you still buy a flowcharting template?

As a student/learner, you should always flowchart your program/algorithm before coding it, imo.

When you have mapped out the flow, then start writing.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sephiroth_dude, how often do you actually practise coding? Reason I ask is that the questions above would be typical for a beginner in their first few weeks, but the thread has been ongoing for well over a year.

If you only open up the compiler every once every few weeks, then the lack of frequency of the studying performed will yield diminishing returns for your own learning. At this stage, you really need to immerse yourself in coding for a while so the fundamentals sink in and you can move on to something larger than a 20 line problem.

Also, where are you getting these homework style questions? Are they problems you are coming up with yourself or are they in some sort of online course?

Sephiroth_dude, how often do you actually practise coding? Reason I ask is that the questions above would be typical for a beginner in their first few weeks, but the thread has been ongoing for well over a year.

If you only open up the compiler every once every few weeks, then the lack of frequency of the studying performed will yield diminishing returns for your own learning. At this stage, you really need to immerse yourself in coding for a while so the fundamentals sink in and you can move on to something larger than a 20 line problem.

Also, where are you getting these homework style questions? Are they problems you are coming up with yourself or are they in some sort of online course?

I open it everyday and try too write something new everyday even its only an hour working on something its better than nothing I guess, there problems I come up with myself,not the best problems I know, not very logical or useful problems to be solving I guess, I don't know, I'm no longer on my course as it finished last year, I have noticed I have improved my coding skills but get caught sometimes like with the problem above, tbh honest the pace of the course was very fast and while I did take stuff away from it, I noticed I had to go back over topics when we were on new stuff as it hadn't sunk in.

Advertisement