Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Its time for these boys to shine.Looking at the odds paddy Power has these boys favourites for the footballer of the year David 3/1, sean at 6/1 and Kerry 6/4 I am hoping to follow these lads starting in Newbridge and all the ways to the steps of the Hogan stand that's my mission this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Off to Mayo now to watch Na Gaeil take on Steelstown Brian Ógs of Derry in the All Ireland Intermediate Semi-Final. All going well Gneeveguilla (I tried with the spelling) and Na Gaeil can make it to Croke Park next weekend.

Steelstown are a serious prospect though and a young club on the up like Na Gaeil. They won some games in Derry as well as the Ulster Semi Final and Quarter final with big scores but we're able to grind out wins in the County Final and Ulster Final in low scoring games.

The odds are skewed in Na Gaeils favour (and rightfully so with 4 Kerry Panelists) but this should be a very close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Your spelling is spot on. I've been awake with excitement for a few hours already and can't wait to hit the road for Tullamore. Bookies have us at 1/6 an last time they did that, we lost the 2020 county final.

I've only seen 1 Denn game, their "Twinning" final against Manchester. They look like a good, physical side capable of playing ball. More direct than i expected and weathered an early Manchester storm before taking control of the game and winning comfortably.

To see the club playing in Croke Park would be a dream but whatever happens we are very proud of this young bunch.

Tullamore today, Newbridge tomorrow. A busy weekend. Safe travels to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I’ll head up alright tomorrow. Missed too much football with the pandemic so happy to travel to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Gneeveguilla had a fairly big win over Denn, but Na Gaeil just lost to Steelstown by 2-6 to 0-7, appears Stefan had to go off with another serious injury.

• Advertisement

Only 8 points for us in the end having been 12 up at half time. A wicked wind blowing the length of the pitch meant a real game of 2 halves. Luckily we had the lead built up cos Denn were much improved and controlled the 2nd half.

Playing Kilmeena of Mayo next Sunday in croke park.

Na Gaeil will be gutted with the performance. Must have kicked 15+ wides. Missed 6 frees in the first half. Played 20mins with an extra man but it was like Steelstown had the extra man.

Stefan suffered a serious shoulder injury which took close to 20mins to sort on the field before being stretchered off before the concluding penalty. The fall seemed innocuous but to be honest I was focused on Devon Burns fouling the Steelstown player for the penalty.

Diarmuid and Jack played we but Andrew Barry looks to be really struggling with a hamstring injury since his performances in the club and county championships where he was the stand out CHB. Stefan struggled to make an impact against the well organized physical Steelstown defensive system.

Na Gaeil were similarly defensive but Steelstown took advantage of their few chances and that was the winning of the game. In fact when Na Gaeil went to chase the game Steelstown should have had another 2 goals but one was saved by Devon Burns and another crashed off the bar.

It may be a long time again before Na Gaeil get an opportunity like this to play an All Ireland Final so I'm obviously gutted but the better team on the day won and there was no hard luck story today so can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Sounds like Kildare are fairly dirty so far. Hope Gavin White is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We totally lost our way in the second half, a draw was a fair result in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Fair result? Kildare deserved to win that game. We were very lucky to get a draw.

Kildare ran them to death in the second half because of the changes Jack O Connor made. Savage can’t run defend and he took 75% of the ball out of P Clifford’s hands, make sense of that for a substitution? If Savage had to come on he should have gone into corner forward.

Geaney spent more time in our half in the second period then he did in the forwards. All the big teams will do that to him. Surely if the game swings that way and you are being overrun and have a lead, you bring him off and bring on fresh legs. Ok our options on the bench weren’t great today but I’d rather have any newbie on the field then Paul Geaney playing a tracking back roll.

On a positive note Jason Foley had a very good game.

Disaster of a day. Apart from the Tony Brosnan monster point, we got absolutely nothing from the bench. Could be a quick season if we dont massively improve.

One thing that annoys me is the time change for games to facilitate spectators arriving. Its shambolic, if people cant make the throw in time that's their own fault. Just start the game on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

There were enormous queues outside the stadium about 20-30 mins before the original throw-in time because there were so few gates open to handle the volume of spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Officer999

I arrived at the stadium exactly 45 minutes before throw in and it was chaos. Queues everywhere, literally no turnstiles to take the crowd. No clear signs of where to go for the terrace, stand etc. It was shambolic.

Yep, I got there about 1.15 myself. Joined the Q and got in about 1.25. Left in plenty of time for a 1.45 throw in. If everyone did the same, the game wouldn't be held up.

Even for both teams out warming up, they had to go back into dressing rooms and come back out to warm up again.

Shambolic is right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was there 45 minutes before the start time was lucky as queue absolutely lengthened in the 10-15 minutes it took us to get in.

Heard a lad in front say the say that the stiles did not open until just before 1pm. They only had half the stiles open and QR codes take longer to scan than ordinary tickets I think. Not fans fault it was Kildare GAA that messed up.

On the match. Horrible day to play football. Lads looked tired. David Clifford looked disinterested for first 10-15 minutes. We had no reserve midfielder.

In the first half there was two half goal chances where we should have put the ball over the bar and another early in the second half. We fumbled a lot of ball whether it was the weather or just ball handling not up to par we conceded 6-10 turnovers that I would not be happy with.

We seemed incapable of breaking the Kildare defensive line. Kickouts got poorer as game went on but not many options out field. Byrne's and Moynihan are not that tall and neither is Paul Murphy. Gavin White was missed when he had to go off as he was the only half back capable of running at the Kildare defence.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Wait…if everyone did the same? Arrive at 1:15?

You do realise that’s what happened and because of the lack of turnstiles and ineffectiveness of getting people’s tickets scanned, the backlog happened and the game was delayed.

No, there was still people streaming in after 2pm when the game had thrown in. They obviously didnt leave enough time to get there on time or plan for delays. As spectators we need to take responsibility to arrive earlier than needed and avoid a delay to the game.

I wish it didnt happen anyway, just throw it in as both teams would have been prepared for a 1.45 match. If some spectators miss some minutes, that's their own fault mostly.

I can see from others comments about scanners being slow and lack of turnstiles open contributed to it today but my own ticket scanned on my phone instantly so I didn't get held up at all really apart from having to Q for 10mins or so.

It was more of a general point about my dislike of times being changed to suit spectators, not just on today. Players should come first in that instance.

‘If some spectators miss some minutes, that's their own fault mostly.’

Nope

• Advertisement

Only positive is that the new jersey looks great in person. Very close to the 2018-2019

The game was a very tough watch. Not going to go at individual players but there were a few lads who might have played their way out of a chance against the Dubs next week.

It was the same old Kerry failings with a lead. We delayed on the ball and were turned over and countered easily.

A lot of the backs actually played well. Dan O'Donoghue looks very solid. Jason Foley dominated Daniel Flynn and kept him scoreless. Paul Murphy and Tadhg Morley showed well for the kickouts and defended well. Adrian Spillane played well at midfield. Gavin White was flying before being cynically taken out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

bit of an overreaction to todays game by Kerry people... Kildare would have targeted this game since fixtures were announced... Kerry and Jack o'Connor in Newbridge... the crowd were baying for blood there today... tight enuf pitch.. supporters in on top of the players creating a raucous atmosphere... it was going to be tough no 2 ways about it...

goalkeeper and defence in general did well... as said Foley was very good... dan flynn is a big big man as well as a good footballer but Foley was well able for him physically.. gavin white is a serious asset going forward... has been for a few years now... midfield good in 1st half.. non-existent 2nd half... half forward line... i honestly think D Moynihan and Burns are not good enough for inter county football.... they are just lackin a little bit... 2 cliffords good... geaney well as usual when the temperature and pressure rises he bottles it... Spillane didnt do alot really.... i thought Kerry did grand nothing special.. twas going to be a tough tough game... alot tougher than the mcgrath cup matches.. they can only improve from it.. onwards to next Saturday nite....

Oisin McConville must have made some remarks off air on the Sunday game writing off Kerry for this year. Joanne and Pat Spillane wanted him to repeat them on air

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Agree on the wing forwards, totally inadequate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You'd need a better interrogation technique than that to get a Crossmaglen man to talk!

Probably Spillane was correct in that you really see how things are when all the teams are fit and ready to go. It is only January, the only change though is that you you not have to wait to September to peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

I don’t see Kerry winning Sam this year. Even before this match.

Too many nice lads on the team, if a row broke out i am not sure lads would back eachother up. Where is the Paul Galvin, the Tomas O Se, the Seamus Moynihan type player . They’d saw you in two to get a ball.

I can see a Northern team winning it again, right mix of footballers and tough hoors.

I couldn't disagree more on Moynihan and Burns not being up to it to be honest.

The losing of the game was removing Burns and bringing on Savage. This hurt us in 2 ways. We lost the savage workrate from Burns including his hard tackling (which lead to 3 turnovers in the first half). Savage just isn't that kind of player (and has never pretended to be either).

The second issue is that he came on at Centre Forward pushing Paudie Clifford onto the wing. Now all of Paudie's attacking cut and thrust was sacrificed and he spent the game flogging himself tracking back.

There is more to this game than guys who get scores all the time and Moynihan and Burns are two lads who unselfishly run themselves into the ground for the team allowing the likes of Paudie Clifford, David Clifford and Killian Spillane to get on the ball and score.

That's just my 2c anyway

Jack had a limited pick yesterday. It was a wet tough day for football what I be afraid is our tendancy to try to overrun the ball i to the goal area.

We had a lot of physically small players yesterday in the middle third. Murphy, Paudie, Byrne's and Moynihan. I cannot see us being able to start more than one of them in the final stages of championship.

If we had put the two failed goal attempts over the bar yesterday we would probably have won the game. TBF Kildare never panicked and did not go looking for goals even when the clock looked against them with 5-7 minutes of normal time left and still three points down. Some turnovers we conceded fumbled g the ball was very noticeable as well.

Jack probably wanted to.look at 2-3 players as well He probably bough Savage to look at him at CF if he need some one to replace Paudie with 10-15 minutes to go in championship.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

I said the same about Savage above. It does ask the question though as to why Jack O Connor brought him on in a game we were winning when it was not what we needed. If he needed minutes he should have gone to corner forward. If he didn’t then a worker like Gammell or even Casey with Paul Murphy going to wing forward would have been enough to see out the game.

Also you are correct on Moynihan and Burns, the two wing forwards are workers now, not forwards. While Moynihan had a bad game I think he can improve massively. I’m not as confident about Burns but he’s done well so far. As above, Jack took off the two workers and we were overrun.

Game 1 and my take away is Jack O Connor made some poor calls that cost Kerry the win.

Advertisement