Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armstrong Cup 2017/2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Presumably Curragh are taking advantage of the DGT offer if that's the case? https://www.icu.ie/articles/731

Jacob would have been entitled to an extra two minutes because of the illegal move

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

The current wording of league rule 7.4a allows exceptions to the Fischer mode "if the home team does not have digital clocks" but doesn't say anything about digital clocks that don't support Fischer mode.
    So either the rule needs rewriting for next season or the clubs that cannot support Fischer mode will have to buy new clocks for next season?

The end of this rule reads:
    In cases where the venue has a set closing time (e.g. 11:15pm), the home team
    may choose to use the standard time control of two hours per player. Such
    teams should communicate this to visiting teams in advance of games.

This was the first time the Curragh played here due to moving venues because of late finishes (which lead to arguments with venue staff).

It should be pointed out that the clocks were started 10 minutes late at 2:40 and 5 of the Trinity team arrived about 15 minutes later (including Jacob).

I'm sure we'll have it sorted out in future.

Fair points.

You didn't state it explicitly in your reply, but if Trinity were late, then they can have no say in whether the time control used is standard or Fischer. The latter is the default, but the former can be played by agreement of both players. If Trinity weren't present at the start time, Curragh were within their rights to operate standard time, regardless of any venue exemptions. This is also a part of the rule Tim quoted above, but which was omitted from the quote.

Also, only two (as opposed too "a lot") of the Trinity players' names are scrambled on the website - Ioana and Anastasija. Ironically, Tim himself scrambles (or mis-spells, at any rate) the latter in his own post.

It mayn't have been the intention, but Tim's post does unfortunately look a bit disingenuous if indeed the team were late. Trinity can have no complaints.

Though Curragh should have a look at the DGT offer anyway (as should all clubs) I know the last time I played there, the clock was a fold-up travel clock which I think wasn't really leagues standard, particularly with the slightly awkward paddles which were very easy to not depress in error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

CDEB's comments are too harsh.
    Three Trinity players including myself were on time. It's good that clocks were only started a few minutes after the scheduled time but in practice that nearly always does happen in league matches in my experience. I am not sure whether all their players were present at 2.30pm.

We only received notification of the venue change from our our captain quite late on Friday (the email to him from Curragh was timed 1336 Friday but only reached us later). The attached map and instructions made it seem only a short drive from the motorway and quite simple to find their venue, which was not the case.

In fact it was about 15 minutes drive on narrow local roads after we took the motorway exit and we had to stop once in a shop at Curragh camp to ask directions. The first two people I spoke to didn't have a clue where the place was.

So clearly one of our cars left Dublin too late because of the inadequate advice, and two were just in time. Future teams going to Curragh will have to allow more time to get there.

24 hours' notice - or less - is indeed a bit unfair.

However, in this day of Google maps and mobile phones, it shouldn't be calamitous. It's easy to find places, to find routes and to estimate journey times. A text to players that the venue has changed and we might meet ten minutes earlier is all it would, in practice, entail.

If two of your cars had arrived when the clocks were - belatedly - started, the third could have been.

I still think your quoting of the relevant LCU rule was unfairly selective; you left out two clauses which give Curragh legitimate reasons to play no increments. As a result, I still believe Trinity can have no complaints overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Elm Mount 7 Rathmines 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Master4allofu

So how is Gonzaga doing please ? Any link ? I was playing few tournaments in Ireland and I had great time - I have heard that Gonzaga is the best club in Ireland at the moment . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

@masterforallfu Here is a link to the league results. All round 4 results are not up yet: http://www.chessleague.net/chessorg/leinster/table.php?org=1&lid=93
    Gonzaga may be the strongest club in the league - but Elm Mount has a bar (as does Dublin) making them the best clubs :-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gearoid MacGabhain

@Master4allofu Balbriggan also has access to two bars ,a restaurant and pub grub we also play on a Saturday.

• Advertisement

It looks to me that Gonzaga had different team for match with Kilkenny but all in all it looks interesting .Thanks for the link

Curragh v St Benildus A just getting underway on the liveboards here

4.5-3.5 win for us. Poor result though. Turned down perpetual in one and lost, and had to settle for two draws due to time trouble I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Yes indeed, a bit of luck for us. Hope you enjoyed watching anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yes, the coverage was appreciated.

St Benildus A 5.5-2.5 Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

What happened in Dun Laoghaire v Bray?

Gonzaga 5-2 St Benildus B with one game postponed due to a clash with international commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Rathmines 4 Kilkenny 4

Round 5. Balbriggan 2-6 Elm Mount

• Advertisement

No real surprises at the break so, other than Trinity and Dublin's lack of form. The two promoted sides are already a bit adrift, and Gonzaga have a bit of a gap at the top, having already played Elm Mount, Trinity and Kilkenny.

Two games adjourned in Balbriggan v Trinity still, and one in Gonzaga v St Benildus B
    Pos	Team	        MP	Pts
    1	Gonzaga	        4.875	28    
    2	Elm Mount	5	26 1/2
    3	St Benildus A	5	26 1/2
    4	Dublin	        5	22    
    5	Kilkenny	5	21    
    6	Dún Laoghaire	5	19 1/2
    7	Trinity	        4.75	18 1/2
    8	Balbriggan	4.75	17 1/2
    9	Bray/Greystones	5	16 1/2
    10	Rathmines	5	16    
    11	Curragh	        5	14    
    12	St Benildus B	4.875	11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

The title has never been in doubt,the Gonzaga Galacticos are odds on certainties to win yet again. Relegation less clear but certainly looking tough for the newbies unless they spend big in the January transfer window.

There could be a big battle for 2nd place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

St Benildus B 2.5 Rathmines 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Elm Mount 6½ Curragh 1½ ( 5 wins, 3 draws)

Trinity 2.5-4.5 St Benildus A, with one game to go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Curragh 2.5 Kilkenny 5.5

Balbriggan 3-5 St Benildus B.

With a 9-year-old on board 8. Maybe a record of some kind?

Also Curragh 2.5-5.5 Kilkenny. Means we're actually out of tyre relegation zone for a few days as I think Bray v Gonzaga was postponed for the 4NCL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

cdeb wrote: »
    Also Curragh 2.5-5.5 Kilkenny. Means we're actually out of tyre relegation zone for a few days as I think Bray v Gonzaga was postponed for the 4NCL?

Gonzaga 6-2 bray

Advertisement