Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore shoulder from lifting

Options
  • 15-09-2017 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I am on an upper body lower body two day split twice a week with cardio on the off days. Three upper body sessions ago, I do not remember any shoulder pain during the session, but afterwards there was so I started icing my shoulder once a day, for a few days, with peas, 15 minutes on 15 minutes off - twice. After a few days there was just pain reaching to get the seat belt and put it on.

On my next upper body session when I was bench and incline pressing I was worried my shoulder was going to give out, and I only lifted what I did in the previous sessions.

I have started getting into a plunge pool for 1 minute and then the jacuzzi/sauna for a few minutes -
    twice after every session, lifting or cardio.

On my last upper body session I spoke with a trainer at my gym, and he recommended some stretches, and reducing my weights on all lifts. I was definitely more comfortable on the presses, and only really felt a bit of pain hammer curling on the affected shoulder.

The pain reaching for the seat belt has gone, but I am aware of my shoulder reaching for things like the fridge door, or sitting here as I type this if I put my elbow on the table - I would almost not even call it pain, but it is there, and it is not the normal aching that I sometimes experience from lifting.

My next upper body session is not for a few days, should I just take a break for that single session, or pick up from where I left off on the last reduced weight session and increase the weights - as modestly as possible - where I reached the high rep range?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Go see a physio. Trust me, I've been there with shoulder pain (reaching for the seat belt hurt etc.) and taking a session off/going lighter won't do anything to address the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Go see a physio. Trust me, I've been there with shoulder pain (reaching for the seat belt hurt etc.) and taking a session off/going lighter won't do anything to address the problem.
    This ^^^ id add that if you're not doing lots of assistance exercises for shoulders and balancing it out with lots of upper back work and mobility work e.g. stretches and rolling then this is all going to repeat itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

THIS!!!

I am rehabing tendinopathy (supraspinatus muscle) for the second time in my shoulder in two years. I just do pull exercises and limit overhead lifts until the pain gets dull

putting on a jacket, even yawning was giving me an aggressive pinch!

get an MRI and see whats what if physio isnt working - then bring the MRI to the physio and he/she should be able to get you exercises to heal it (strenghtening the other muscles around it)

first time my rehab took 3 months
    at the moment i am on month 4, with still a dull pinching pain. all my own fault for doing muscle ups...again!!

guile4582 wrote: »
    THIS!!!

I am rehabing tendinopathy (supraspinatus muscle) for the second time in my shoulder in two years. I just do pull exercises and limit overhead lifts until the pain gets dull

putting on a jacket, even yawning was giving me an aggressive pinch!

get an MRI and see whats what if physio isnt working - then bring the MRI to the physio and he/she should be able to get you exercises to heal it (strenghtening the other muscles around it)

first time my rehab took 3 months
    at the moment i am on month 4, with still a dull pinching pain. all my own fault for doing muscle ups...again!!
    forgot i wrote this re shoulder rehab, might help also and in general shoulder care - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/21/how-to-fix-my-shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for all the replies on this guys, a lot of great info there.

It is very frustrating, because I am only lifting weights a few months, and really started noticing the differences in my body. I was actually only with a physio a few weeks ago for issues related to my legs, which I have been battling, so I can get back running, and to lower body weights (which I have now at least resumed) - seems like it is always something!

I have not done upper body since I posted, and I am due to do it tomorrow, but from what you guys are saying the smart move here is to keep away from upper body until I can meet with a physio, which I will arrange for the end of the month. I will just keep eating what I have been, and do cardio 5 days a week, lower body twice a week.

In the meantime, I am not in pain, and it would probably help if I was stretching every day and using the roller - which I already have.

There are so many different shoulder stretches out there, can you recommend some to do? I know I may not have the exact same injury as you did/have, but I will stop anything that gives me pain, and starting now might get my back to upper body sooner.

Also, can anyone recommend a good physio in South Dublin?

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    forgot i wrote this re shoulder rehab, might help also and in general shoulder care - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/21/how-to-fix-my-shoulders

Thanks Transform, just had a quick look through that for now.

What would you think about following your shoulder stretching and strengthening routine on the two days per week I was supposed to do upper body?

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks Transform, just had a quick look through that for now.

What would you think about following your shoulder stretching and strengthening routine on the two days per week I was supposed to do upper body?
    i think you should lay out your entire training program, current weight, height and goals

giving you a "yes thats a great idea" answer would be useless if your program is dogsh1t (i.e. poorly designed, sorry about the language but most training programs have zero context to them) to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think you're better off engaging a good physio before you go back lifting. There pain could have several different roots; an injury caused at a specific time or accumulated as a result of your mechanics in certain exercises etc.

No one knows if rest will help or indeed what will actually help.

5' 11", ~81kg, goals: strength and mass, and back to running 5K+ 3 times a week. I used to weigh 100kg, but lost weight from running and healthy living. Most days I eat 5 30g protein normal food meals a day and one extreme weight gainer protein shake which I have immediately after exercise.

Monday Lower body
    Tuesday Bike
    Wednesday Upper body
    Thursday Bike
    Friday Lower body
    Saturday Bike
    Sunday Upper body

I have a plate and pins in my ankle from an injury some years ago but I feel no pain from it. I have had issues with my knee and quad from running. Bike will soon turn back to running, which will start at 1K to be extra careful. I stretch my legs every day after training and use the plunge pool twice.

Lower body:

Deadlift 5 x 8 - 12
    60s rest between sets

High squat 5 x 8 - 12
    60s rest between sets

(Superset A) Reverse Lunge 5 x 8 - 12
    (Superset B) Oblique crunch with a weight 5 x 10 -12
    (I think 60s rest between sets, as isolated exercises)

(Superset A) Leg curl 5 x 10 - 15
    (Superset B) Leg extension 5 x 10 -15
    (I think 60s rest between sets , as isolated exercises)

Plank 5 x 90s
    45 seconds rest between sets

Barbell holds 5 x 60s
    (I have issue with grip on the deadlift where my forearms are what gives out)

Upper body:

(Superset A) Bench press 5 x 5 - 8
    (Superset B) Dumbell rows 5 x 5 - 8
    90s rest between supersets.

(Superset A) Incline bench press 5 x 8 - 12
    (Superset B) Lat pull down 5 x 8 - 12

(Superset A) Barbell Overhead Press 5 x 5 - 8
    (Superset B) Weighted TRX row 5 x 5 - 8

(Superset A) Standing Dumbell Hammer Curl 5 x 8 - 12
    (Superset B) Laying Dumbell tricep extension 5 x 8 - 12

I think you're better off engaging a good physio before you go back lifting. There pain could have several different roots; an injury caused at a specific time or accumulated as a result of your mechanics in certain exercises etc.

No one knows if rest will help or indeed what will actually help.

So you mean all lifting, even lower body? :(

• Advertisement

So you mean all lifting, even lower body? :(

No. But careful where you might be exacerbating a shoulder issue.

100% correct on no one here is going to help you directly with what the source of the issue is

Re programming - here's very little id actually change (its not how i program but everyone is different) but as regards overall structure and balance its ok.

Plan of action -

1. where are you based so someone can recommend a good therapist?

2. Yes put in the shoulder pre and rehab stuff i discussed

3. make sure you're working on shoulder soft tissue work - like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbGPE8ePR0

Things i know for certain about shoulders in most - people totally lack shoulder extension and external rotation i.e. when they press a weight overhead they really struggle to put their head through their arms lock out arms totally. A combo of soft tissue, rehab movements, stretching and most vitally make sure you're doing movements right is critical

Sorry for late reply.

Thanks for all of the information so far.

Anywhere between or around Sandyford and UCD for a physio would be great.

Can you please PM recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Was out of action for six years until I started doing band pull aparts.
    Cured all my shoulder problems.

Band Pull Aparts
    Face Pulls
    Rows

Do lots of pulling exercises.

Also warm ups I do before I do anything. . .
    -Pendulum swings.
    -Static Stretches
    -Dynamic stretches.

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Was out of action for six years until I started doing band pull aparts.
    Cured all my shoulder problems.

Band Pull Aparts
    Face Pulls
    Rows

Do lots of pulling exercises.

Also warm ups I do before I do anything. . .
    -Pendulum swings.
    -Static Stretches
    -Dynamic stretches.

This will work for some where the it's a specific weakness addressed by those exercises that's the issue. The problem here is that the OP doesn't know what the issue is.

Going to book a physio to work that out when I get a recommendation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have used this guy in the past for knee issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

For somebody around Sandyford, Tony Spain in the Beacon is good

What kind of prices have you been paying?

Last two physios were €60, but I will pay more if it makes all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I haven’t been to the physio in the Beacon in about a year, but it was €55 a session last time I was there

• Advertisement

Have used this guy in the past for knee issues.

Big time second this.
    He's my go to guy for over 10 years

Brilliant, I am going to make an appointment, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

dusf wrote:
    Going to book a physio to work that out when I get a recommendation

DBC have a branch in UCD...don't let the name or website put you off. They have an extremely highly qualified team. I found Diarmuid Fitzgerald very good. There's also a lady there, can't remember her name, she's a physio to one of the Irish hockey teams. 60 euro a session but it's an hour and you're there with another client so the physio splits their time, while you're doing exercises they are with the other person. Liam that runs it is excellent too but very much in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would second DBC - have used them myself and they are also open until 8 or 9pm I think so handy if you're at work

Brilliant, I am going to make an appointment, thanks :)

Post up how you got on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Robinio

It might sound silly, but are you sure the shoulder pain was from the upper body day?

When I first started lifting I hurt my shoulder doing squats - of all things! My shoulder mobility was not good, so this did not help. Adding stretches and shoulder warm-ups helped, and it never happened again.

I injured my elbow doing skull crushers, but the physio I went to was terrible and never got to the bottom of it. No one really knew what was up, and I think it was nerve damage as it took around 6 months to disappear.

So yeah - make sure you get a good physio.

Are you totally new to lifting?

Not totally new, I have dabbled over the years, but only ever really for a few months, but this summer I threw everything into it, six meals a day etc. I am trying to budget to fit the physio in over the next week or so.

No not sure, just assumed it was the overhead rows, or chest/incline presses.

I have been at the gym doing cardio 5/6 times a week since I stopped lifting, and I know that is good for me, but it is very frustrating to see the toning I had gotten over the last few months disappear. I am tempted to just start back, but I know the right thing to do is meet with this recommended physio first.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Not totally new, I have dabbled over the years, but only ever really for a few months, but this summer I threw everything into it, six meals a day etc. I am trying to budget to fit the physio in over the next week or so.

No not sure, just assumed it was the overhead rows, or chest/incline presses.

I have been at the gym doing cardio 5/6 times a week since I stopped lifting, and I know that is good for me, but it is very frustrating to see the toning I had gotten over the last few months disappear. I am tempted to just start back, but I know the right thing to do is meet with this recommended physio first.

Why not take it right back to basics and go back to lifting very very light weights and isolating muscles so you get an idea of what might be the cause - or even just using resistance straps and bands. Where exactly is your shoulder pain? My own shoulder pain seems to have been caused by developing too much in front, mainly chest and not strengthening my back. Now I ensure I do an even amount of work front and back to ensure my shoulders lats and core are keeping everything pulled back into place and I'm not becoming rounded or front dominant. Along with shoulder exercises every day - dislocates, pull-aparts and single arm presses, all using a resistance band.

Advertisement