Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need more than 1 Hive thermostat for multiple zones?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭themoneyguy

So went for a self install single channel hive thermostate.
    Like an idiot I just ripped out the existing therm without taking a pic for reference.

Basically I have wire with a L, N and earth coming from the 30A switch and also a wire coming from the boiler that has a L,N and grey wire.

Anyone know what order should i put into on the hive therm terminals? I have a N,L,1,2,3,4

Any help would be appreciated..... my head is wrecked here...

Thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Assume thats from a 3amp switch (not 30amps!!)

From the switch side: L,N,Earth to same on Hive receiver
    From boiler: L,N to same s from switch, and assuming the grey is boiler switched live, that goes to 3, you will also need to link L-1 with a small loop (assuming your boiler is 204v switching) if its low voltage and you do it, it will blow the boiler PCB!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭themoneyguy

DGOBS wrote: »
    Assume thats from a 3amp switch (not 30amps!!)

From the switch side: L,N,Earth to same on Hive receiver
    From boiler: L,N to same s from switch, and assuming the grey is boiler switched live, that goes to 3, you will also need to link L-1 with a small loop (assuming your boiler is 204v switching) if its low voltage and you do it, it will blow the boiler PCB!!

Thanks

Yup, 3 amp lol....damn auto correct!

Boiler is 240v ....Cheers for the heads up though.

All sorted. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Unhygienix

I currently have a boiler connected to 4 pumps which are connected to 4 thermostats (giving me my 4 zones)..

Pump 1 - Kitchen
    Pump 2 - Living Room
    Pump 3 - Upstairs
    Pump 4 - Feeds the immersion tank and gives us our hot water

I know that the Hive only supports three zones however I'm wondering if the following will work?

Pump 1 - Kitchen (Hive Active Multi-zone)
    Pump 2 - Living Room (Hive Active Multi-zone)
    Pump 3 - Upstairs (Hive Active Dual Zone)
    Pump 4 - Feeds the immersion tank (Same Hive Active Dual Zone)

The fundamentals of how a unit controls both the hot water in addition to another zone is unclear so I don't know if the above is feasible.

Thanks!

If you thermostats are only calling on pumps, what calls on the boiler?

I have Hive in my house, with 3 heating zones and hot water (so 4 zones) 2xsingle channel receivers, 1x dual channel and 3 Hive Stats.

The dual zone Hive receiver has two switching terminals (3 & 4) 3=DHW 4=CH, single zone Hive receiver has only one switching terminals (3) 3=CH

as

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Richard42

Hi, I have a few Hive products in my house already but looking to move the central heating and hot water over.
    I have 2 timer switches downstairs, operating 2 zone heating. (Oil fired boiler)
    I also have a hot water tank upstairs with 2 switches (no timer) one for on/off and the other for sink/bath.

I assume I will need 3 thermostats, and 3 receivers (thermostat and receiver for each of the 2 zones, and one pair for the hot water switch) My question is how can I control the sink/bath switch? Could I use a dual receiver for this, or is it not possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

After being with Airtricity for a few years and not noticing a decrease in the bills I switched to ESB who recently installed 3 x Nests for me, one in each zone (each floor). We installed them on stands in the main rooms we use rather than in the hall & landings.

Also went for the Smarter Home option because one of the Nests worked out cheaper. The house is transformed, every room at the correct temperature, no more too hot or cold. Wife was always turning on the heating when the kids came in from school and then realizing at 10pm when we were all baked out of it.

A cheap but worthwhile investment.

Hi Richard, Hive is not designed to operate your immersion switch, so the answer is no to that piece.

For the downstairs timers, assuming it's heating and hot water your controlling there (via motorised valves) then you would only need 1 dual channel Hive and Stat to control, if it's 2x heating zones then you would need 2 single receivers and 2 stats.

Advertisement