Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Homelessness Crisis

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Speaking of homeless there is a huge problem in cork with it and I seen it 1st hand last weekend when I headed in town to get a hair cut early.

Nearly every door way in the city has people sleeping in them I could have counted nearly 30 people sleeping in doorways of shops in the city I was shocked and felt what has gone wrong in the country?. With how many people that are now homeless.

I used to live in the city and this time last year was no where near as bad as now.

What can be done to fix this major issue that we are now facing in Ireland?.

Do you blame everyone else except the people sleeping on the streets?

Are you aware a lot of them are offered help and accomodation but refuse it?

Why do people always point the finger at the government without knowing the circumstances of these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There is a lot of people who won t to be on the streets I never said there wasint. But there is loads who don't won't to be on the streets and there the ones we need to try and help some how.

I do blame the government on a lot of these issues not once have we seen them trying to fix the homeless issues that the country is facing.

I have noticed in the last year in cork the rise of people of there faces and homeless in the city centre is getting up to the lv of Dublin. It's extremely sad how Ireland has such a homeless and drug problem.

We are never going to win the wear on drugs and homeless but we need to think of a way to try and fix it

There is a lot of people who won t to be on the streets I never said there wasint. But there is loads who don't won't to be on the streets and there the ones we need to try and help some how.

I do blame the government on a lot of these issues not once have we seen them trying to fix the homeless issues that the country is facing.

I have noticed in the last year in cork the rise of people of there faces and homeless in the city centre is getting up to the lv of Dublin. It's extremely sad how Ireland has such a homeless and drug problem.

We are never going to win the wear on drugs and homeless but we need to think of a way to try and fix it

Ireland has one of the lowest homeless numbers in Europe.

What are you comparing it too?

Sweden has 33,000 homeless people.

Germany has 350,000 homeless people.

Maybe Ireland isn't quite as bad as you're making out.

Just heard from a local in Ranelagh that a man in his 40s who has lived in a little tent in Ranelagh (near the CofI on Sandford Road) for years was found dead there this morning. Not sure if these stories are even considered newsworthy anymore as there's nothing in the news about it.

And we're still only in November. Shameful stuff in our supposedly booming economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Just heard from a local in Ranelagh that a man in his 40s who has lived in a little tent in Ranelagh (near the CofI on Sandford Road) for years was found dead there this morning. Not sure if these stories are even considered newsworthy anymore as there's nothing in the news about it.

And we're still only in November. Shameful stuff in our supposedly booming economy.
    Have any details emerged about the deceased?

• Advertisement

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Have any details emerged about the deceased?

Not yet. In the past five minutes the story has finally appeared on RTÉ's website: Investigation following death of homeless man in Dublin

It has yet to appear on The Irish Times or Independent.ie. The Sun has had the story for the past hour.

And according to this google nobody else is covering it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Quite a few rough sleepers are on the street because they refuse to respect the rules in hostels about being drunk and using drugs, the system isn't perfect but it's not always "the governments fault"

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

Witnessed two gardai approach a homeless man who was in a tent on Henry Street, and asked him to move on. He was being reasonable in the beginning, but soon became agitated and was approaching people going by saying " Am I brothering you? Am I bothering anyone?" As people were walking by ignoring him and the gardai, he started to shout and claimed the gardai were being aggressive and forceful and so on, which was not the case as the gardai remained dignified throughout and even offered to bring the man to a hostel and pay, to which he replied "why do you think I sleep in an 'effing tent, I ain't going to no 'effing hostel." I left then as he was becoming more agitated.

The point behind that anecdote is that some people, indeed most, I would say, who sleep rough, choose to sleep rough, and nothing the government does will prevent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Quite a few rough sleepers are on the street because they refuse to respect the rules in hostels about being drunk and using drugs, the system isn't perfect but it's not always "the governments fault"

No low threshold hostel will turn you away for using drugs or being drunk.
    Most hostels don't allow alcohol or drug use in them and if they find you drinking or using you're asked to place whatever you have in your locker.

Most hostels don't allow alcohol or drug use in them and if they find you drinking or using you're asked to place whatever you have in your locker.

Yet we always hear people won't stay in these hostels because of people taking drugs.

Which is it?

One side is telling porkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hey we always here people won't stay in these hostels because of people taking drugs.

Which is it?

One side is telling porkies.

People won't stay in hostels for lots of reasons , mental ill health , not linked in with or not wanting access services , lack of suitable accommodation and so on.

There's a myth created that hostels are anarchic crazy places .
    They're certainly not for the faint hearted ,there is drug use and issues in them. It's worth knowing that there's different types of hostels.

It's not even December yet and a second homeless person has died in Dublin this week, this time a Lithuanian man in his 30s:

RTÉ: Second rough sleeper dies in recent days in Dublin
    The second death of a rough sleeper this week has been confirmed.

The Lithuanian man, who was believed to be in his late 30s, was found unresponsive outside the Four Courts on Monday evening at around 8pm.

He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Gardaí are investigating and have been trying to contact the dead man's family.

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive (DRHE) confirmed the man was originally from Lithuania and had been accessing homeless services since 2013.

It said that he was placed in emergency accommodation, including temporary supported accommodation, on a number of occasions.

The DRHE said that at the time of the man's death, he was "in supported emergency accommodation where Harm Reduction Team was actively engaging with him".

It said that efforts are under way to notify the dead man's family.

Yesterday, a homeless man, who had been living in a tent in Ranelagh, was found unresponsive.

The man, who was in his late 50s, was taken to St Vincent's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The chief executive of the Peter McVerry Trust said that the man was known to the homeless charity sector since about 2010 and that he had been in and out of homelessness since then.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Pat Doyle said the man was part of a group of over 55s that agencies were targeting on the streets to try to get shelter.

In such cases, Mr Doyle said, the assistance of the public in contacting agencies would be welcomed.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has told the Dáil that he was "deeply saddened" to hear of the deaths of the men.

He was responding to Independents4Change TD Joan Collins who said that during a week of political crisis, life went on. She said that in that week, two homeless men died on the streets and families were being evicted from their homes.

Ms Collins cited a Threshold report that showed an increase in people living in fear of losing their homes in the private rented sector.

She claimed that 12,000 houses could be built on existing public land and she argued that if the political will was there, money could be found to build houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's not even December yet and a second homeless person has died in Dublin this week, this time a Lithuanian man in his 30s:

Second one is a suspected overdose.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We can all post newspaper articles with provocative taglines if we want. Here's one:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pregnant-woman-loses-home-after-allnight-parties-36359483.html

Not even December yet and another person has to be evicted for unsocial behaviour in the house provided free of charge by the taxpayer.

However, doing that doesn't add anything to the debate. There is fault on the government's side, but there is bigger faults on the local authorities run by the opposition and there are faults among the homeless as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,197 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw the news bulletin at 3.30 and the guy basically said that not every on the streets would accept help/support but he wanted extra beds for the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

People insisting that they live near family or school where kids are or even specifically in Dublin are being unrealistic and not helping their cause.

Kids can move schools. Does everyone need to live near family. And Dublin isn't the only place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Joan Collins is another far left idiot who hasn't a clue what she is talking about.

We're probably only a few months away from another election, she can back the Government and let's give her the Housing portfolio and see what she does with it.

Of course it will never happen, not one of those hard left fools will do anything only shout from the opposition side of the Dail.

Advertisement