Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone given up voting altogether?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You might be missing out on a valuable target audience OP.

That is, people who don't vote might not be predisposed to taking part in a poll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Never have and never will.
    Why vote? Your vote doesn't matter at all. In this country the brainwashed sheep will vote for the same parties no matter what. The only way time this might improve is when at least 2 more generations pass. All these old farts with old fashioned ideas vote for the same parties which destroy the country and few years later they vote for the same ones. Let's keep the gravy train going baby. I tried voting but there is absolutely no point due to the majority of the population being sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Most of the time.
    Abu94 wrote:
    Why vote? Your vote doesn't matter at all. In this country the brainwashed sheep will vote for the same parties no matter what. The only way time this might improve is when at least 2 more generations pass. All these old farts with old fashioned ideas vote for the same parties which destroy the country and few years later they vote for the same ones. Let's keep the gravy train going baby. I tried voting but there is absolutely no point due to the majority of the population being sheep.

Baaaaaa, get out and vote!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭Abu94

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Baaaaaa, get out and vote!

FF or FG will always win no matter what due to ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Used to but gave it up.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be completely honest. If you're eligible to vote, and you choose not to do so, then you pretty much lose the right to moan if you don't like the result or winner.

What if you think all candidates are completely useless and don't want any of them elected? I'd rather not vote than vote for someone I dislike the least (might as well spoil my vote if I'm going to do that).

That being said I always vote if there is someone I can stand behind, if I don't vote I'll happily complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Most of the time.
    Abu94 wrote:
    FF or FG will always win no matter what due to ignorance.

It can only change if you're involved, but it will take time

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Most of the time.
    I was listening to a podcast recently where they were discussing the tactics during the ladt US election. Using social media they can determine with a reasonable amount of accuracy how youre going to vote.

If they see that your strongly for the opposite side they don't try to change your mind. They try to get you disillusioned so that you wont vote.

I vote. Generally for the least worst option. There are some candidates and parties I'll never vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Most of the time.
    Hermy wrote: »
    Agreed. But how is it 'easily reversed'?
    Is there a cure for apathy?

People become apathetic as they believe they can't make a difference being isolated with only one vote, no collective community around them of their own peers or generation that could make a difference. My generation, anyone who feels marginalized by modern day politics really, should join together to create their own lobby group's. Groups with strong numbers, who will vote collectively that will make the politicians listen and act. You don't see Trade Unions being apathetic about what they want or how they demand it to be done by those in power. They have the cure for it. They know they have the numbers to determine a outcome they seek from the politicians who need those numbers in votes.
    With the internet, my generation could easily reverse the lack of interest by coming together as a mobilized community to get what they want. It's such a powerful tool, it shouldn't just be a arguing shop of faceless beings which is a complete and total waste

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I am somewhat disillusioned with politics in general. I still vote but have little confidence in those who end up getting elected. The system isn't broke but it is being abused through laziness or negligence imo. I see our T.D's who fulfill the role of the CoCo - getting potholes filled; getting the council to do the work they should be doing; or helping people with welfare claims etc. Our neighbour had to contact a TD to get a streetlight bulb replaced because the CoCo insisted it wasn't broken. Where are you going when that's the sh*t you have to go through?

I don't vote for a Party (TD's are to represent a constituency, not to toe a party's line) but i often vote negatively: i start at who i dislike most, giving him/her the least and work upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Some people here really should travel a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

For me, they look more and more like referenda than elections. You're not voting for a government, you're voting for a system.
    Irrespective of who wins, they'll have their hands tied by the same social and economic bases, meaning change is actually very difficlult to impliemnt,
    no matter how good the intentions (and I use that term loosely) of the incumbent leaders. The system is what's chosen and will be implemented.
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be completely honest. If you're eligible to vote, and you choose not to do so, then you pretty much lose the right to moan if you don't like the result or winner.

I've never understood this mentality. Surely if no candidate represents your views or none of them are good enough for public office in yoru opinon, abstaining should be considered an option?

If you voted for a party and said party got in, THEN you pretty much lose your right to moan.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gpstracker

I believe I will spoil my vote next time out. I have no confidence in the political, civil/public systems in this country. We are third world in many ways with opaque deals done behind closed doors well before any hint of a democratic sheen is applied to a decision. We have little to no accountability or transparency, people are obsessed with money & wages when accountability & transparency would improve everyones lives but is of lesser importance.

I have had some experience over a number of years with individuals and organisations and speak from that experience. The scale of liars and grabbers out there in positions of responsibility is draining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm not even registered to vote.

Several politicians tried to get me to register in 2014 for the local elections, I refused.

Unless it becomes mandatory I'll never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

sugarman wrote: »
    What a pathetic attitude to have, people have died for the right to vote! You're telling me you can't take a couple of minutes reading a parties/candidates policies pros and cons and take 10mins to lash it down on a slip and throw it in a box?

Just because youre not into politics doesn't mean it won't severally affect your day to day life.

The very people you see moaning about the government doing this, that and the other on social media etc.. are shockingly the people with a similar view on voting ...the "ah sure der all same!" crowd ...no, they're not, especially your local representatives.
    I think part of the reason people don't vote is because the policies don't really matter. Politicians will say anything to get a vote. It's pretty much meaningless reading their policies, and after seeing this for a few years you sort of lose the will to bother voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most of the time.
    It's ironic how many people voted for "Never have and never will."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Most of the time.
    I vote. I'm not terribly interested in politics but I do try and get myself in the know around election time.

The only downside of voting is the chance of being called for jury duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm not registered and have never voted. I have zero interest in politics. I also don't complain about the government because I'm not informed or interested enough to complain. #totalhonesty.

Disclaimer, I'm sure that if someone truly reprehensible with dubious policies against certain religious groups or ethnicities was trying to become Taoiseach, I would probably mobilise myself to vote against them. Until then, they're all the same shower of suits to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Most of the time.
    I always vote, without exception. But, jeez, these people don't make it easy nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I vote when I can. As a foreign citizen in Spain, I can't vote in general elections, just local and European ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Used to but gave it up.
    I do think it's important to vote, but some of them just call for spoiling your ballots.

For instance I personally don't see the point of leaning one way or the other on any EU referenda so it's gonna be a big c0ck and balls drawn on the top.

Advertisement