Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a panasonic sound system that went kaput after 20 months. There is an EU directive on electrical goods that basically gives you a 2 year warranty. I fought panasonic and won and got a full refund.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

That directive does not apply in Ireland. It is irrelevant.

We have separate consumer laws here that are vastly superior; in the OPs case with a retailer refusing to engage they need to resort to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

L1011 wrote: »
    That directive does not apply in Ireland. It is irrelevant.

We have separate consumer laws here that are vastly superior; in the OPs case with a retailer refusing to engage they need to resort to the courts.

How so if we are in the EU? Not arguing with you, just curious.

Quoting that directive was what got me my refund. A colleague had an ipad and iphone replaced using that very directive. Worth a try.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because Irish law was deemed superior. And it is.
    Quoting that directive was what got me my refund. A colleague had an ipad and iphone replaced using that very directive. Worth a try.

You are reliant on staff not having a clue. Which is quite common, but not guaranteed.

In Ireland, the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act is what is important. Nothing else. The EU directive does not exist here.

Irish law allows up to 6 years in case of a manufacturing defect - a 24 month cutoff as in EU law is clearly inferior to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭grinder23

I think it's just that Irish consumer law would actually give you longer than the 2 years in theory if I remember correctly it could be up to six years. So the EU law would apply to Ireland but our own consumer laws give us even linger protection especially on higher value items that we would expect to last longer.

Advertisement