Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed tax system change reported on 08 Sep 17

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Thats not going to work forever and ever. There is a flaw in that system IMO.

And how is making the business environment more unfavourable going to improve things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If done right it might make things a little more balanced. The business environment is no coherent system either. You can't compare a small business struggling to make ends meet between rates and taxes and insurance with a big corporation. The current system is flawed in so many ways. Its leads to imbalances, social problems, its wasteful and not sustainable in the long run both environmentally and socially. I think its a bit lazy to say there is no alternative. Its like not rocking the boat because I'm still alright enough myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You can't compare a small business struggling to make ends meet between rates and taxes and insurance with a big corporation.

So, increasing taxes is going to help small business how? Or do you mean singling out larger corporations and screwing them. They'll probably be fine with that. :pac:
    I think its a bit lazy to say there is no alternative.

The alternative has been considered, and rejected. Do you think they've not considered increasing corporation tax? Sometimes not doing something is the right thing.

Lazy? Not aware of that economic term? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That as may be, but it's the government that pays for it, which they do with taxes.

I pay 52% tax on my marginal income and while I'd like to pay less (who wouldn't) I'm not in favour of paying less taxes so the less well off pay some or more.

Hey, I don't disagree with you. You were the one that said if he were in the UK be would be saddled with a bunch of debt. I was simply pointing out that, given his age, that would not actually be the case.

MrP

Del2005 wrote: »
    Our health service is very well funded but some how doesn't work. More taxes will be wasted until there is major reform of our public and civil services, we might even be able to reduce them if they were more efficient.

In business there is a constant push for efficiency and cost reductions, publicly funded entities seem to be constantly looking for ways to spend more money.

I fully agree that the HSE is a mess and our public/civil services absolutely need reform. But that reform needs to happen before taxes can be cut, otherwise we just end up with an underfunded (and thus, most likely, even less efficient) version of what we have now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement