Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did RTE drop Gareth O Callaghan ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

No.

He'll have more drama next week. This is not a one off affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Edited

Post edited by TheBMG on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Tork

I'm not a fan as such and can see why he rubs people up the wrong way . But on a human level I have a lot of sympathy for him and what lies ahead for him. Someone I follow on Twitter either liked or retweeted that comment, which is why I saw it. Then I spotted this zombie thread getting bumped for some reason. Why? What's to be gained by bitching about a man with a terminal illness and who had to give up his broadcasting career because of it. It's obvious he still uses the internet. Is somebody hoping he'll see this thread? I think it should be closed but there doesn't seem to be a moderator in the place any more

Post edited by Tork on

Yeah you make a fair point. I’ll bow out of this one I think.

I wouldn't give him a pass as such-he's visited a lot of upset on others, and seems to suffer from acute phases of arrogance and sheer stubbornness. One thing about him, he's never wrong, in his own view anyway!

For a chap who goes on about hearts and minds, he rarely sees the other side.

If someone bumped this to try and get a dig at him, that's unfair and reprehensible carry on, but I fail to see why he should be immune from fair criticism, which the likes of Duffy and Hobbidy also receive here on a daily basis.

However, like the poster above, I do take the point and see where you're coming from.

• Advertisement

Was it GOC who used to call up companies in a quiz in the afternoon. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Does anyone remember the camp hairdresser character named Phileeep he had on in the early 00s? Basically trying to recreate the John Creedon Terrence character from the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Mrs Brown's Boys started as a short daily segment on Gareth O'Callaghan's show in the afternoon.

He's back on Classic Hits radio Ireland this morning 10am to 2pm https://twitter.com/GarethOCal/status/1629358315091230721?

He returned to Classic Hits over the last year or so on weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Filled in on 96fm for pj coogan too few weeks ago.

He was supposedly unfit to work ever again a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bryant Street

Did yeez hear that GOC recently Retconned the reason for his 2fm departure ? He has gone nuts on twitter since this Tubridy thing broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's not the first time GOC has jumped on a big story and made it all about himself.... the man loves himself / loves being the centre of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Personally, I think he’s a well past his sell by date. Not disputing in his heyday he was top notch. He’s a total narcissist, loves himself, massive ego, drama queen, makes everything about himself. Perfect fit for RTE..

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

If the other "big story" is the same one that I think you're referring to, that's what made me stop taking the guy seriously. Such a pity as I don't remember any point when he wasn't on the radio (I'm in my mid-30s) and always had a lot of time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Said last week he was making no more comments about it as it wasn't doing his mental health any good. This was AFTER the Examiner article which didn't reveal anything really.

Came back yesterday to say that he would be on Virgin Media today to talk about it. Why Gareth? Bow out, keep the last shred of your legacy intact and say nothing.

He seems to be the only ex-2FM'r that is commenting on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s ludicrous. What exactly has he to say on the matter that is of any relevance? Trust Virgin Media to latch onto his bandwagon 🙄

He hasn’t worked for RTE for almost 20 years. I’d be very surprised if Tubs knows him more than in a passing way and I’m sure most of current RTE management wouldn’t know him either. So his insight into the RTE issue is about as insightful as mine is

And if you actually read that Examiner article and go past the silly click bait headlines he says almost nothing of interest. He resigned/left RTE due to some disagreement with management at the time. So what…. It happens every day of the week and it’s nothing whatsoever to do with the current Tubridy debacle. He’s changed that story multiple times over the years. Originally he left due to mental health issues / writing a book / setting up as a counsellor. Whatever way the wind is blowing Gareth, eh. It’s been the same craic with him before, Gerry and his coke habit, among other more “uncomfortable” stories he’s latched himself onto. He’s embarrassing himself but doesn’t seem to realise it

The man is an attention seeker, a clear narcissist and seems to lap up all the attention he gets on Facebook from Middle aged housewives.

Having said all that, I actually think he’s absolutely excellent at his actual day job - a radio music presenter. A cut above anyone else on that station he’s camped on. And imo he should stick to that job, play the songs and keep his opinions on the headlines of the week firmly to himself.

A lot of major changes came to daytime 2fm not long after GOC left, young guns of the day Nikki Hayes, Rick O'Shea,Will Leahy & Ruth Scott got daytime slots, Larry Gogan & Dave Fanning were moved to weekends, so it's hard to picture how Gareth would have survived on the 2fm of post 2006 tbh

The funny thing is that none of them are involved with 2FM anymore, with Dave Fanning being the most recent to leave. Larry Gogan had been taken off 2FM completely a year before he passed away, with his sole broadcasting duties being with RTE Gold. Rick, Will and Dave are all connected now to RTE Gold (Dave also does some stuff on Radio One), while Nikki and Ruth went to independent commercial radio stations. As it happens, Ruth is currently involved with Gareth's station Classic Hits.

• Advertisement

Don’t forget Gareth was on Radio 1 for a while; in fact he was even considered briefly to be a contender to replace the iconic Gay Byrne.

That role would effectively land with Ryan Tubridy some years later which may also go a bit further in explaining Gareth’s response to the current stories.

GOC did a big swansong "last ever show" back in 2018 after being diagnosed with a serious illness, so why is 4fm dragging him up from cork to Dublin every Saturday to do a 4 hour show? With technology these days, couldn't he do a show from the comfort of his home in cork? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

I wonder that too - could he not do the show from Cork? He gets the train at crazy O'Clock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Am I dreaming but I think he said he was paid something like 200 euro /day for his show on classic hit last weekend .I used love him back in his 2fm days easily the best on the radio at that time .I must listen more often to his classic hits show as it is a real throwback to the radio shows of the 80's.

On the show a week or 2 back,the woman writing in with story of the meeting of her future husband at quenn's slane gig back in '85 and his subsequent cancer and death was presented with great empathy ,in all fairness tubridy could learn a bit from him ,he is a dam good radio presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Standing in for PJ Coogan on Cork’s 96FM for the next two weeks according to his Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nikki went in a different direction

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/radio-dj-nikki-hayes-admits-money-laundering-1486468.html

Advertisement