Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Teresa - 20 years ago

Options
1235»

Comments

Correct, here's more on that subject below....a couple of paragraphs down.
    It's an article written by journalist Eamonn McCann in 2008.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/eamonn-mccann/eamonn-mcann-was-it-fair-to-jail-shahra-marsh-but-let-greedy-bankers-go-free-28450601.html

''In the 1980s, Keating, a devout Catholic and passionate ‘pro-lifer’, ran a saving and loans company which attracted funds from thousands of relatively poor people, many impressed by his claim to be motivated not by greed but by religious zeal. Many families were left penniless when it emerged that he had embezzled more than $250m of their money. McCain’s repeated interventions with federal investigators on Keating’s behalf aren’t playing well with Middle America in these days of meltdown and malice. But McCain wasn’t as close to Keating as Teresa. For her, the fact that the fraudster was vigorously involved in ‘pro-life’ campaigning outweighed all other factors. As well, he had deposited more than a million dollars of the stolen money into her bank account.

When the LA district attorney’s office asked her to give the money back to its rightful owners, she point-blank refused, quipping that the wad had now become “God’s money”.

After Keating’s conviction, Teresa wrote to Judge Ito (yes, the chap from the first OJ trial) begging him to go easy on her benefactor. She later sent Keating a crucifix blessed by John Paul himself to hang in the cell where he was serving 10 years.

Given that rather higher standards are commonly expected from saints than from US presidents, the question which now arises is this: if association with Keating renders McCain unworthy of election, surely the same consideration should make Teresa a no-no as far as canonisation is concerned? I leave that one with the Vatican''.

Were those convictions not overturned?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Were those convictions not overturned?

On a couple of technicalities it seems, then took a plea on lesser charges in the run up to the retrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marshes

An evil woman, who then the RCC decided should be a saint. Says it all.

True, A lot of the Saints had an evil side to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marshes

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    He has a documentary on this from 1994 called hells angel. It's on YouTube. Fascinating stuff.

I would second this recommendation, I just saw this documentary the other week. Excellent.

On a couple of technicalities it seems, then took a plea on lesser charges in the run up to the retrial.

But the accusation that he embezzled 250 mill was set aside, wasn't it?

And the "technicality" was that the Jury was misdirected by the Judge. Which isn't really a technicality in the "they spelled his name wrong" sense, more of a "perhaps the single biggest wrong that can happen during a trial by jury".

The lesser charges involved a much lesser sum too.

Was any charity here that got support from any of the failed banks over the years asked to hand it back?

The article by McCann is looking more and more like a hatchet job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Marshes wrote: »
    True, A lot of the Saints had an evil side to them.

Ya the Vatician has lot of blood on its hands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Was any charity here that got support from any of the failed banks over the years asked to hand it back?

Paul Kelly the Console scumbag was asked to hand back the DFA grant :

http://www.thejournal.ie/console-grants-3540761-Aug2017/

THE DEPARTMENT OF Foreign Affairs (DFA) has asked former Console bosses to repay €150,000 in grants it received.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Paul Kelly the Console scumbag was asked to hand back the DFA grant :

But that was presumably based on the conduct of the recipient rather than the source of the funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

But the accusation that he embezzled 250 mill was set aside, wasn't it?

And the "technicality" was that the Jury was misdirected by the Judge. Which isn't really a technicality in the "they spelled his name wrong" sense, more of a "perhaps the single biggest wrong that can happen during a trial by jury".

The lesser charges involved a much lesser sum too.

The article by McCann is looking more and more like a hatchet job...

Another 'hatchet job', this time from 'The Telegraph':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/the-most-notorious-financial-frauds-in-history/charles-keating/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Doltanian wrote: »
    20 years ago on this day we said goodbye to a champion of Humanity Mother Teresa of Calcutta. She devoted her life to helping the poor and destitute, often her care was the only attention they received on their death bed. Her order of nuns continue to do great work in India and worldwide today. Her death was overshadowed by the media circus surrounding the death of Lady Diana at the time.

Two great women of charity and who had the best at heart for the poor and destitute.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/54/bb/2c/54bb2cff7a90be77ca1360e7baafa3e8.jpg

Great work my ar**.
    She was walking whore who believed others should suffer torment whereas she got to go to fancy clinics.

Some of the people that ended up in her hospital would have had a better death on the streets.
    bob50 wrote: »
    I was just checking

I see Mother Teresa is now known as Saint Teresa of Calcutta

Which pope again was the one that beatified her in the first place and started the ball rolling on the sainthood?

Oh yeah it was that Polish lad that covered up all the child abuse in the church, the lad that was also best mates with the likes of Fr Marcial Maciel, the founder and leader of the Legionaires of Christ.
    You know the lad, the lifelong paedophile from Mexico, that the lad from Germany who happened to have been in Hitler Youth as a young fellow kicked to touch when he got in.

Oh and if you want to have another laugh look into the supposed miracles that are down to witch from Calcutta.
    You know the miracles that means she is a saint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jmayo wrote: »
    Great work my ar**.
    She was walking whore who believed others should suffer torment whereas she got to go to fancy clinics.

Some of the people that ended up in her hospital would have had a better death on the streets.

Which pope again was the one that beatified her in the first place and started the ball rolling on the sainthood?

Oh yeah it was that Polish lad that covered up all the child abuse in the church, the lad that was also best mates with the likes of Fr Marcial Maciel, the founder and leader of the Legionaires of Christ.
    You know the lad, the lifelong paedophile from Mexico, that the lad from Germany who happened to have been in Hitler Youth as a young fellow kicked to touch when he got in.

Oh and if you want to have another laugh look into the supposed miracles that are down to witch from Calcutta.
    You know the miracles that means she is a saint.

i'm sensing some resentment towards her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

And that polish bollix John Paul wasted no time in making her a saint ...on another issue that eye sore in the Phoenix park doesn't remind me of Christ , unfortunately it reminds me of John Paul's visit , I believe it should be removed .

i'm sensing some resentment towards her.

She was one of the world's greatest frauds.
    And you had every gobshyte licking her ar**, wanting to be seen with her.

In the long run she was more interested in creating a legacy, her order, than really helping suffering people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jmayo wrote: »
    She was one of the world's greatest frauds.
    And you had every gobshyte licking her ar**, wanting to be seen with her.

In the long run she was more interested in creating a legacy, her order, than really helping suffering people.

ah sure i know that and completely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah lads why did ye have bring up John Paul another ****.

That fella deserves his own thread. Some of the stunts he pulled....

Ah lads why did ye have bring up John Paul another ****.

That fella deserves his own thread. Some of the stunts he pulled....

Sorry that was me.
    But he was part of the whole rotten cabal.
    As with all of them it was Church first and screw the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And Ratzinger sent a letter reminding priests to keep schtum and not report anything to the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I was in Calcutta earlier this year as I said in an previous post. We went to see the Mother House where Mother Teresa is buried. I was astounded to see a large marble tomb covered with garlands and flowers. There is an exhibition on her life in an adjoining room which I looked at. I spent quite a bit of my time biting my tongue on the way around!

I visited a tiny hospital in Calcutta run by the Hope Foundation. It's budget is a little over 360k as far as I remember. Without doubt it was the most inspiring place I have ever been. It was clean, bright, and the patients were so well looked after. How in the name of heaven can anyone leave people to die without pain relief or comfort? It's moral bankruptcy to do anything else.

Advertisement